Freelancers
  • Freelancers

Would you look at the space on my wrist, itís time for another PAIZO NEWS ROUNDUP! Thatís right, folks, you are already blessed with another one, so sit back and strap in for another update on your favorite gaming company.

Weighing in at 680 pages, Mage: the Ascension 20th Anniversary Edition (M20 from here on out), like any forbidden tome of arcane knowledge worth the name, is a massive brick of a book.

There are two different extremes in arranging fights. One is like war and the other is like a sporting event. Sporting events are supposed to be fair contests between roughly equal forces. On the other hand, war is the epitome of unfair competition.

Starship Commandos is a rules lite, storytelling RPG by Sword's Edge Publishing. It's likely a lot to do with the title, but after clicking past the table of contents on the PDF, I'm immediately asking: "Would this RPG scratch that alien(s), survive the evil xenomorph, itch?" Let's get into it.

It can be difficult to separate out the true myths of any particular culture from stories told by explorers who came after. Perhaps those become part of the mythology as well, but we want to do our best to get as close to the root mythology as possible. This is doubly difficult in South America where all we have of some of the cultures that called that land their home are ancient sites and strange monuments. Many of the civilizations overlapped and others were contemporaries.

Hello and welcome to the latest PAIZO NEWS ROUNDUP, a great way to keep up-to-date on the moving and shaking at your favorite game company. This edition features Starfinder, Starfinder, and more Starfinder, but there is room enough for some Pathfinder for those of us who like swords and sorcery over spaceships. Letís get started!

Imagine contemporary life without clothing. No socks to prevent feet from blistering, no pockets for keys, change or the omnipresent smartphone. It is true that naturists do get by fairly well with purses or fanny packs, but such individuals tend to be concentrated in areas with balmier climes for obvious and pertinent reasons such as frostbite in sensitive places.

Role play is breaking into the mainstream! While games like Dungeons and Dragons might once have been confined to people's basements, the success of shows like Critical Role, Acquisitions Incorporated and The C-Team has resulted in a deluge of new podcasts on subjects ranging from insightful DM advice to thrilling live-play. The downside of this is the sheer number of new podcasts coming can be a little overwhelming. It can be hard to decide which ones are worth listening to and impossible to find the time to listen to all of them. Well worry not, it's EN World to the rescue! It this series of articles we'll be highlighting some of the best and newest RPG podcasts to fill your ears with during the grey time between games.

Written by Rich Lescouflair and published by Alligator Alley Entertainment, Esper Genesis is an RPG subtitled Heroic Sci-Fi Roleplaying. The cover bears a "5E Compatible" stamp, and indeed this game presents what is essentially the current edition of D&D reskinned for over-the-top space opera gaming.

Pugmire is a fantasy game that has gone to the dogs. Not just dogs, but also cats, rats, badgers and lizards as well. Set in a far future world that has reverted to the tropes of medieval fantasy, you play characters that are on a quest to become a "good dog."

In the last four years, I've noticed an increased frequency in regards to Storyteller and narrative type games. It might be resurgence, or my imaginationÖ But, what I've been excited about is the sheer variety of these games; specifically, the ways in which the fundamental idea of creating story, is still being reimagined for the purpose of a role playing game.

Itís a time on earth with exciting news about your favorite role-playing games, which means you lucky dogs are in the middle of another PAIZO NEWS ROUNDUP! Hereís a surprise for you: now that Starfinder is out and in the wild, weíve managed to find some love for Pathfinder! Hold on to your hats, this one is going to be jam-packed.

In this second part of our coverage of The Index Card RPG (ICRPG), we talk to its creator Hankerin Ferinale, creator of Drunkens & Dragons on YouTube, author, and owner of Runehammer Games. Ferinale was interviewed while at Gen Con, and talked about how he went from working a full time job to being a full-time creator and writer and his future plans. You can find the first part of this coverage here.

I was reading about the level cap increasing from 60 to 70 in an online game, with many new possibilities/abilities. "How do people keep track of so many abilities at such high levels?" I thought. Then I realized yet another reason why I prefer simple games: "A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Another version, about Japanese gardening, is "Your garden is not complete until there is nothing else that you can remove."

The Index Card RPG is a 190 page RPG with two worlds, five adventures, and stand up mini art pages. Prop and location index sized cards are sold separately. The current rules cover fantasy and science fiction and one horror adventure. Created by Hankerin Ferinale of Drunkens & Dragons on YouTube, The Index Card RPG (or ICRPG) started as an experiment in using index card sized illustrations in place of square by square combats. I interviewed Hankerin at Gen Con to discuss how he became a full-time creator and his future plans. Included below are two not-yet-announced products he revealed to me.

Last column I covered food in a macro scale and how it could influence a setting. In this column I am going to discuss the logistics of food for the purposes of worldbuilding. Contemporarily, farms and ranches produce most of our food. Seafood, of course, is harvested from the oceans via fishing ships, but aquaculture is used in the production of sea vegetables, shrimp and some species of fish.

Here at EN World, Iím looking at all-ages tabletop role-playing games, board games, and card games. Do they engage the players at the kids' gaming table? Would they cut it at the adults' table? Are they genuinely fun for every age? Dagger: A Toolkit for Fantasy Gaming with Kids, Revised Edition is a free, action-oriented fantasy RPG for kids. The core book contains rules, monsters, treasure ideas, and charts in a six-page document, all for free.

It seems like a simple question, but the way you answer it may, in effect, determine the metaphysics of your game. Many RPGs use some sort of "experience point" system to model growth and learning. The progenitor of this idea is, of course, Dungeons & Dragons; the Experience Point (XP) system has been a core feature of the game from the beginning.

Whew! Gen Con over and done with, and what a show! But time waits for no one, which means itís time for a new PAIZO NEWS ROUNDUP!

Here at EN World, Iím looking at all-ages tabletop role-playing games, board games, and card games. Do they engage the players at the kids' gaming table? Would they cut it at the adults' table? Are they genuinely fun for every age? Little Heroes is an ENnie Award-nominated storytelling tabletop role-playing game for ages 5 and up. The core book contains system rules, ten player personalities/species/ adversaries, and more for $5 (PDF).

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast