Miscellaneous
  • Miscellaneous

Welcome back to our weekly look at tabletop roleplaying game, and accessories, crowdfunding projects roundup! Each week we'll be looking at a few campaigns currently running that have caught our eye. If you have anything you'd like us to cover, or questions about anything we talk about, please don't hesitate to leave a comment or contact me directly.

...READ MORE

Welcome back to our weekly look at tabletop roleplaying game, and accessories, crowdfunding projects roundup! Each week we'll be looking at a few campaigns currently running that have caught our eye. If you have anything you'd like us to cover, or questions about anything we talk about, please don't hesitate to leave a comment or contact me directly.

...READ MORE

By now, friends, you've likely tumbled to the fact that we lost a lot of stuff due to a database crash. I thought about going back and trying to recreate some of the lost Picks of the Week, but to be honest, I felt it better to just press on with new stuff. If you want to go back and check out previous Picks, just click here and you can scroll through everything I Picked over the last, well... since it started, if you really want to. For now, I press onward!
     ...READ MORE

Jason Bulmahn, creator of Pathfinder RPG and lead designer at Paizo, recently ran a live celebrity Pathfinder game at DragonCon 2016, which he has just made available on his YouTube channel. The game featured Jim Butcher (author), Monica Rial (voice actress), Ian Frazier (Bioware designer) and Richard Garriott (Ultima). "A live session of Pathfinder, run in front of a audience, at DragonCon 2016. Featuring Jim Butcher (as Blimp the Imp), Ian S. Frazier (as Scorch the Goblin), Richard Garriott (as Edwin Vanghast III, vampire wannabe), and Monica Rial (as Frank the Skeleton). Designed and run by Jason Bulmahn, creator of the Pathfinder RPG."

...READ MORE

A new columnist will be joining us here at EN World very soon! Darryl Mott Jr., who you may know as Abstruse, used to write an awesome column at Ain't It Cool News called AICN Tabletop. And now he's joining Christopher Helton, Michael Tresca, Sean Patrick Fannon, and myself here at EN World. His first gig will likely be an interview with Green Ronin about their upcoming Book of the Righteous 5E before he launches his weekly column upon us! I can't wait to read it!  ...READ MORE

Luminaries.org has an interesting list of prices of medieval items (compiled by Kenneth Hodges). It consisted of extracted references from books such as English Wayfaring Life in the XIVth Century, J. J. Jusserand, London in the Age of Chaucer, A. R. Myers, Standards of Living in the Later Middle Ages, Christopher Dyer, English Weapons & Warfare, 449-1660, A. V. B. Norman and Don Potting, and several more. It includes tools, food, livestock, books, education, buildings, clothing, armor, weapons, funerals, and travel; and includes wages for various professions from mercenaries to weavers to kitchen servants to barons! It makes for a fascinating read and a great resource for medieval fantasy games. (Thanks to Jay for the scoop!)
     ...READ MORE

Charles Wright of Frog God Games is in hospital. The art director was in surgery to have part of his foot removed after diabetes related complications, a situation which has escalated to complete amputation below the knee. A US military veteran, he lacks funds for personal help and transport to therapy, and his friends at Frog God Games have launched a Go Fund Me campaign to raise funds to help him. They're looking for $10,000, and they're already most of the way there, but every extra penny counts.
     ...READ MORE

An enigmatic video has been posted teasing something called “Project Riboflavin” releasing Halloween 2016. The video features a still image of some sort of witch looking down on a spooky mansion, and ends with logos for Avalon Hill, Lone Shark Games, and Wizards of the Coast. (thanks to Carl for this scoop). It features a remarkable list of game designers and others along the left side of the image.  ...READ MORE

Dungeons & Dragons is known for the titular dungeon, but its origins are a little more prosaic than wargames alone. It turns out there was a formative experience in co-creator Gary Gygax's life that would inspire dungeon exploration.

...READ MORE

Sorry for the delay getting this up today, folks. I am still recovering from something nasty that took me down hard on Tuesday and Wednesday (which, by the way, is why there is no Wednesday Pick for this week, as well). On top of all that, a certain something is coming to fruition, which as you might imagine, has me hopping at a high gear as well. I am feeling much better, but that means I am going double-time to catch up and then keep up, so as always, your kind patience and support are greatly appreciated. In the immortal words of Mr. Kasem, "and now, on with the countdown."
     ...READ MORE

Another piece talking about the harassment of women in tabletop gaming has surfaced on the internet. At least one of the incidents related in that piece has been substantiated as being true, so I am willing to accept that there is more truth in that article. Whether gamers, or geeks in general, want to admit it or not, there are serious issues within our communities with how people act towards women, people of color, and the LGBTQI. We need to knock that off right now. Obviously, this is an opinion piece.  ...READ MORE

In May 2002, a controversy erupted in Dragon Magazine that is still relevant today. With role-playing games a sort of mental escape, should prisoners be allowed to play the game in prison? Or to put it another way, what are the pros and cons to playing D&D in an actual dungeon?

...READ MORE

I have been thinking about playtesting the last few days. While I was on my vacation to the American West Coast, one of the things that I had an opportunity to do was playtest a dungeon-based adventure that a friend is working on for an upcoming Kickstarter. Playtesting is something that should be a cornerstone of good game design, but often isn’t. Solid design should be backed up with actual play, at the very least by the designer but (in a perfect world) also with playtesting from groups outside of the designer’s play group.  ...READ MORE

How does mobile technology affect your game? On the one hand, it provides access to resources - dice rollers, looking up rules, character managers, game-specific apps; on the other hand phones provide the distraction of Facebook, email, and text. I've been in many situations where a fellow player is just randomly showing another one a (hilarious?) YouTube video rather than playing the tabletop game in progress. Of course, it's far from a gaming-specific question; I've sat in pubs and liked around at tables of 3-4 people where all of them were looking at their phones rather than each other, and I'm far from innocent of that particular transgression myself. So, when gaming, how do you adopt technology? Do you have rules or restrictions, or are you lucky enough that your game is so captivating that it overrides the impulse to check Facebook?  ...READ MORE

At the GaymerX3 convention in December 2015, several well-known tabletop roleplaying industry members took part in a discussion called "Queer as A Three-Sided Die" which dealt with issues of queerness in the tabletop community. The participants were Tim Motishaw (D&D Adventurer's League Regional Coordinator), Joseph Carriker (Changeling: The Lost, Relics & Rituals, Stormwrack), Jeremy Crawford (lead designer, D&D 5th Edition), Steve Kenson (Mutants & Masterminds), Donna Prior (OrcaCon, Green Ronin), and Wesley Schneider (editor-in-chief, Paizo). The YouTube video is below (51 minutes), but I've also borrowed a bunch of bookmarks from Wesley Schneider's website so you can drop in at points which interest you.  ...READ MORE

Stacy Dellorfano, the founder of the ConTessa gaming convention, took a little time out of her busy schedule to talk with me about organizing online conventions and Gen Con events for women gamers. The ConTessa blog won the Gold ENnie award for Best Blog last year at Gen Con. This year they will be back at the convention to run another daylong event for gamers. A long time gamer, Dellorfano brings her love for tabletop role-playing to what she does and works diligently for a space for those who identify as women in the tabletop role-playing communities.  ...READ MORE

I posted a list like this a few years ago, and it seemed pretty popular. However, time passes - so it's time for a new list, especially since today is Twitter's 10 year anniversary! This list is for those who use Twitter, and is designed to give you a "starter set" of tabletop RPG accounts you can follow. It's not exhaustive; I'm keeping down to a manageable number, with a mix of game companies, prolific bloggers, designers, and so on, pulled from the folks I myself follow. Sometimes a company will have an official account, and its employees also have individual accounts - I haven't attempted to list them all. Feel free to share who you're following in the comments!

...READ MORE

Today marks an incredibly important and special day in our hobby. Early on, it might be said it was something of a whim, but over the years, the RPG culture truly embraced the idea of celebrating our Game Masters on an annual basis. After all, no GM, no game! In 2008, the holiday took on an even greater and more powerful meaning, as one of the Godfathers of Gaming, Gary Gygax, went on to other realms of adventure. Sites like DriveThruRPG are holding massive sales for those wanting to celebrate by buying tons of gaming stuff (and maybe, you know, giving something nice to their favorite GMs). Here's a bunch of great Picks, as well as a link to the DriveThruRPG sale page at the end.
     ...READ MORE

Dynamite Comics and Paizo are bringing a special new bundle to the Humble Bundle site. This collection of comics also features new, exclusive digital battlemaps for your Pathfinder (and any other fantasy game), and a unique physical tier for a random selection of assorted Pathfinder Battles: Shattered Star prepainted plastic gaming figures.  ...READ MORE

A couple of interesting articles have popped up on the web. This is a little assorted, somewhat eclectic mix of four items that came my way over the weekend, including an American Football RPG, a new 24 hour online convention, advice on low magic, and a review of Critical Role.  ...READ MORE