Superheroes
  • Superheroes

We didn’t know what to expect from HASCON, which took place in Providence, RI last weekend. My entire family are veteran congoers, so we were skeptical if HASCON would meet up to my ten-year-old son’s and seven-year-old daughter’s expectations. We were pleasantly surprised.

There's been a lot of pain and difficulty front-and-center in recent days. In the midst of the challenges and the tragedy, there've been plenty of tales of real-life heroes to inspire us. When the darkness falls and hope falters, that's when heroes step up. That's the inspiration for this week's theme. I've been clinging to the need for heroes in a world so troubled, and I feel that gaming will always give us that chance to embrace the heroic ideal and indulge in the dream that we, too, can step up and do what needs to be done.

A rundown of the New Releases that should be hitting games stores this coming week! Board games, card games, RPGs, Wargames, Miniatures and collectible games... hopefully something for everyone! In addition to the games hitting your local store we’re also now listing a few RPG PDF releases from the last week that we hope may be of interest. For more information about any of the physical products please contact your local games store.

As you read this, I am among the teeming masses thronging the halls, game rooms, hotel lobbies, and restaurants of Gen Con 50. I struggled a bit to come up with a good theme for this week, as I'd already covered the ENnie Awards nominees to some significant degree. Then I remembered my first Gen Con ever, and that led me down the merry path you see below. It doesn't hurt that I am deeply involved in superhero gaming and game development right now, as those who've been reading this regularly will attest.

Man, have I traveled a lot this year! In the case of this weekend, it's only a handful of miles, but I am still going to be away from home and in a hotel for a convention. It's a great con, mind you, run by people very special to me (including my own Belovedest, Carinn Seabolt (Editor-in-Chief of Evil Beagle Games and the always-amazing Nikki Ebright). In honor of MALCon, the theme for this week was Myths & Legends, which you can see took us all over space and time (see what I did there?).

With the ENnie Awards coming up at Gen Con soon, and voting fully underway, I thought another look at the various nominations was in order. So, once again, I've chosen to delve into certain categories and pick something to highlight while pointing out some other entries in the same field. This week, it's the Judges Spotlight Winners, Best Family Game, Best RPG Related Product, Best Art, Cover, and Product of the Year.

A rundown of the New Releases that should be hitting games stores this coming week! Board games, card games, RPGs, Wargames, Miniatures and collectible games... hopefully something for everyone! For more information about any of the products please contact your local games store.

I'm baaaack! Yeah, sorry for the absence, friends, but things got a bit messy and sad for me for a bit, and I frankly let this just slip right off my desk. I am back in the saddle, and I've returned with a Theme Week - Eclectic Fun! Check out this odd array of gaming goodness that spans a rather different spectrum than usual.

Checker Book Publishing Group have announced a new edition of the original Superhero RPG,i. Originally published in 1977 a new edition has been worked on for the last couple of years by Steve Perrin (RuneQuest, Superworld) and a team also comprising of original publisher Lou Zocchi.

A rundown of the New Releases that should be hitting games stores this coming week! Board games, card games, Wargames, Miniatures and collectible games... but no RPGs this week! For more information about any of the products please contact your local games store.

One of my favorite games is the Classic Marvel Super-Heroes game that TSR put out in the 80s and 90s. It, along with Call of Cthulhu from Chaosium, were the games that broke me out of the rut of fantasy gaming and Dungeons & Dragons in the mid nineteen-eighties. It is a game that I go back to periodically, and it still holds up really well in play. And it isn't just with me. I see a few people in my various social media circles talking about their current, or sometimes ongoing, games of the Classic Marvel Super-Heroes RPG as well.

Hello everyone, Darryl here with this week’s gaming news! Green Ronin announces Lazarus and Modern AGE, Warhammer 40,000 8th Edition is on its way, Tales from the Loop brings 80s style kid adventure to the tabletop, Dead of Winter gets a PvP expansion, Magic: The Gathering has a hasty update to un-break the game, and more!

A rundown of the New Releases that should be hitting games stores this coming week! Board games, card games, RPGs, Miniatures and collectible games... hopefully something for everyone! For more information about any of the products please contact your local games store.

Daring Entertainment have been producing support material for the Savage Worlds system for a number of times. Probably best known for their War of the Dead adventures and campaign setting of survival during a zombie apocalypse and the worlds that is born from the ashes. They have also played with superheroics before and this new project, Super Powers Unleashed, sees them return to the genre along with the Little Tin God Mega-Adventure.

Green Ronin Publishing have announced the creation of a new fiction line to debut this year. Headed by Jaym Gates (Strange California anthology, Eclipse Phase: After the Fall) Green Ronin aim to include novels, anthologies, and both stand-alone and serialized short fiction, tied to the rich worlds of many of their tabletop roleplaying properties. Early releases will include fiction set in the romantic fantasy world of Aldea from the Blue Rose Roleplaying Game and tales of superheroic adventures set in the world of Earth-Prime from Mutants & Masterminds.

A rundown of the New Releases that should be hitting games stores this coming week! Board games, card games, RPGs, Wargames, Miniatures and collectible games... hopefully something for everyone! For more information about any of the products please contact your local games store.

For the first time in a while, I dove into a week with a theme in mind. Welcome to the results of Supers Week from the Pick of the Day site - a collection of superhero gaming Picks across the spectrum. We've got some Champions, some Savage Worlds Supers, Mutants & Masterminds, and more! So make your choice - Capes! No Capes!

A truly eclectic week this time around, with some AWE-driven urban fantasy, superheroic kids gaming, the insanity of Unknown Armies returned, user-created content for 7th Sea, and a webcomics bundle featuring a bunch of gamer-friendly stuff. Go ahead, dive in, and discover something new in every direction!

Hello everyone, Darryl here with this week’s gaming news! Starfinder Society announced by Paizo, Modiphia Magazine launched by Modiphius, Saving Throw puts on a live streamed gaming Spring Formal, Alternity is reborn, International Tabletop Day promos announced, and a lot more!

It might surprise some that some of the most revolutionary advice for game masters would be tucked into a supplement for Champions back in 1988. Aaron Allston's Strike Force pushed a lot of young game masters into new directions with just a few pages of his talking about what he did in his home games. In music there's a concept where an album has an influence on the stream of music that far outstrips its commercial impact. An album like The Velvet Underground & Nico is a commercial failure, with low sales and songs that challenged the existing radio airplay establishment, however it is one of those albums that caused listeners to go out and want to make their own music.
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast