BRP
  • BRP

A rundown of the New Releases that should be hitting games stores this coming week! Board games, card games, RPGs, Wargames, Miniatures and collectible games... hopefully something for everyone! In addition to the games hitting your local store we also take a look at a few RPG PDF releases from the last week that we hope may be of interest. For more information about any of the physical products please contact your local games store.

In Mythras, player characters are tied to family, village, and cults and their quests change the world around them and influence the direction of societyís growth. Mythras is mythic in scope and the PCs create legends with their adventures. This review covers a newcomerís overall impression of Mythras.

A rundown of the New Releases that should be hitting games stores this coming week! Board games, card games, RPGs, Wargames, Miniatures and collectible games... hopefully something for everyone! In addition to the games hitting your local store we also take a look at a few RPG PDF releases from the last week that we hope may be of interest. For more information about any of the physical products please contact your local games store.

I have followed the OpenQuest game from D101 Games, and its various spin offs, throughout the years. Based off of the open content from the Mongoose Runequest system reference document and their Legend role-playing game, OpenQuest harkens back to a simpler era of fantasy role-playing, and draws upon the inspirations of the early days of the Chaosium-published Basic Roleplaying System. I backed the IndieGoGo campaign for the second edition of the game a couple of years ago, and recently publisher and designer Newt Newport released a new, revised edition of the game's rules.

Chaosium Incís Call of Cthulhu is one of the best-known RPGs in gaming with numerous official products as well as third party expansions to the franchise. While the majority of these produce outstanding products, some of those third party publishers have collected money via crowdfunding, then gone months between backer updates, and have yet to fulfill their commitments. Around Gen Con 50, Chaosium made announcements that addressed several of these unfulfilled third party products.

When October comes around, many gamers turn their heads from their regularly scheduled explorations of dungeons to look at a genre within which they do not normally crawl around. We are of course talking about horror. Whether you are looking for a one shot game for your Halloween night, or an ongoing campaign, there are a lot of very good horror games out there in the wilds of your local gaming store (or preferred online retailer) to check out for your horror needs. Let's look at a few of them.

Just about anything can spark a campaign idea in my brain. Over the last few weeks I have been talking about approaching GMing and game prep. As someone who primarily GMs, and as many of you who GM probably have the same troubles, I am usually have more ideas for campaigns than I will actually even need. One of the nice side effects of social media is that I can post these things that I know that I will never be able to use, and either spark some interesting discussions or maybe give some other people some ideas for games that they can then run for their own groups. It ends up being a win/win situation and these ideas don't end up stewing away in the back of my head, or in a notebook, to end up eventually fading away to be replaced by something else.

This week's theme is Cut It to the Core Week, inspired by the release of Third Eye's Pip System, as well as the fact that you can get all kinds of core rulebooks and other goodies for 25% off thanks to it being Christmas in July at DriveThruRPG/RPGNow. Having the core engine of your favorite game is not only a gateway into all the stuff you really like from your favorite publishers - it's a toolkit to begin crafting your own great ideas into a playable iteration for all to share.

This past weekend was Free RPG Day, the red-headed step child of Free Comic Book Day, where gamers descend upon shops for free SWAG. This year I spent part of the day at a local gaming store, Serenity Games, running a Fate Accelerated game for a busy table, connecting with some friends that I don't get to see often enough, talking about future events and meeting new people. I picked up a few of the items available (the store is much more generous about how much people can pick up than a lot of stores).

Call of Cthulhu fills an interesting niche in the role-playing hobby. Where many other role-playing games champion escapism, Call of Cthulhu has always been decidedly anti-escapist. Players create normal people who are thrust into terrifying and utterly alien situations. The end result is a game that is highly immersive, and more than a little scary. Youíll be happy to know that the good folks at Chaosium have continued this proud, if mildly sadistic, tradition with their latest offering: Call of Cthulhu, 7th Edition.
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast