What's O.L.D. is N.E.W.
  • What's O.L.D. is N.E.W.

Welcome back to our weekly look at tabletop roleplaying game, and accessories, crowdfunding roundup! Each week we’ll be looking at a few campaigns currently running that have caught our eye as well as occasionally speaking to some of the creators about their campaigns, or looking at some of the ‘behind the scenes’ business aspects of putting together, launching, operating and then delivering a crowdfunded project. If you have anything you’d like us to cover, or questions about anything we talk about, please don’t hesitate to leave a comment or contact me directly.

...READ MORE

New on EONS Magazine, the official magazine of the WOIN roleplaying game system -- The Last Survivor. This 21-page adventure, by Jacob Rodgers, is designed to be dropped into any WOIN sci-fi game. The PCs will investigate a mysterious ship, battle an Ogron slaver, and rescue the ship's crew. Also includes a sector map, deck plans of the SS Selkirk, stats for the Selkirk and the Ogron All-Master Warship, and a new alien species, the Virosa. Illustrated by Michael McCarthy, Darren Morrissey, Gicaomi Machesi, Sade, and Indi Martin.
     ...READ MORE

New on EONS, the official magazine of the WOIN replaying game system. The Houseki are a race of good-natured, ponderous crystalline beings. The Pajak are greedy insectoids. The Jamila are beautiful humanoids who exude strong pheromones. And the Zetans are a race of phased beings who move with incredible speed. All of them are official new player-character races.  ...READ MORE

I was interviewed on the Shane Plays radio show. You can find an extended (40 minute) version of the segment where I talk about WOIN; that 40 minutes is just part of the epic two-hour interview I ended up doing, which covered EN World, the ENnies, and a wide range of topics. It was great fun to do. I'm not sure when the other segments get released, but keep an eye on Shane Plays and I'm sure they'll turn up!  ...READ MORE

Hello everyone, Darryl here after a week off moving with this week’s tabletop gaming news digest! New information on Volo’s Guide to Monsters, Modiphius and Fantasy Flight working together, a Munchkin coloring book, new CCG releases for Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh, Barnes & Noble expanding their gaming meet-up, and more!

...READ MORE

EONS Magazine, the official magazine of the What's OLD is NEW (WOIN) roleplaying game system, needs sci-fi writers! More specifically, we're looking for reliable writers to produce a range of 7,000-word adventures using the WOIN system (specifically, the recently released N.E.W. Science Fiction Roleplaying Game). You will need to be familiar with the game system. The pay rate is $0.03 per word. If you feel you can write such an adventure, please see the submission process, which is the same process we use for EN5ider and TRAILseeker. There you will also find writers guidelines and other important information.  ...READ MORE

This is a repost of the NEW alien race contest (the original was lost in the crash). The contest is being extended to Friday 7th October to make up for the lost time. If you have the PDF of N.E.W. The Science Fiction Roleplaying Game, or you have a hardcover on its way but would like another for your gaming group, all you have to do is devise a playable alien race using the guidelines in the book and post it here. The best entry (chosen by me!) will win a free full-colour hardcover of the game.  ...READ MORE

The final core future book for the WOIN roleplaying game system is here! Along with Future Careers, Future Equipment, Future Core, and Space, your science-fiction game is now complete with the release of [WOIN] Building A Universe. In this book you'll find 63 pages of rules which enable you to fully design your own sci-fi campaign setting, with discussion of different genres and technology levels, and detailed systems for creating star systems, planets, civilisation, races, careers, monsters, equipment, and more. It's finally time to build your universe and launch your sci-fi campaign!
     ...READ MORE

[WOIN] Fantasy Core, a core rulebook for the What's OLD is NEW (WOIN) roleplaying game system, is here! "This manual contains the core rules of the What's O.L.D. is N.E.W. roleplaying game system, designed for a fantasy campaign. While other books tell you how to create a character or build a world, this book tells you how to play the game. With rules for attribute checks, countdowns, luck, combat, injury & death, objects, and the environment, inside you'll find all the the rules you need to adjudicate any task your characters might attempt. This book is fully compatible with all W.O.I.N. supplements, and is a What's O.L.D. is N.E.W. core rulebook."
     ...READ MORE

You can download a 14-page adventure for the What's OLD is NEW roleplaying game system for free. The Haunting of Calrow Ruins is a fantasy-horror adventure by Aaron Infante-Levy for starting (grade 5) characters. "You can hear them at night when the mist creeps in off the lakeshore, jibber-jabbering like madmen trying to form words. For years they’ve haunted me, but still I can’t fathom what it means, as if some half-formed mind yearns for the power to speak for itself…" - Ser Paviss, Knight Overwatch of Calrow Ruins.  ...READ MORE

Layout on [WOIN] Building A Universe is nearing completion. You can see some sample pages below (see if you can spot the amusing autocorrect error changing the meaning of a sentence quite profoundly - don't worry, it'll be fixed!) As well as appearing as an independent softcover book in its own right, this is the final chapter in the compiled future-themed WOIN hardcover, NEW, and that means that the first hardcover is not far away and you can launch your sci-fi campaign exploring the final frontiers of galaxies far, far away!  ...READ MORE

Last night, one of the core books of the WOIN (What's OLD is NEW) system was released. This is the 8th WOIN book in total, but more importantly, it's the first core book. That makes it the book which will let you start running your WOIN campaign. The book just released is WOIN Future Core, and it contains all the rules for attribute checks, combat, the environment, and all that 'core' stuff; it joins the already released WOIN Future Careers (for character creation) and WOIN Future Equipment (you can guess what that contains!) as well as WOIN Space (space travel and starship combat).  ...READ MORE

Following on from the illustrations of weapons and of armor, this time round it's on to some of the more supplemental items that form a warrior's arms and armor. The following illustrations from the What's OLD is NEW (WOIN) roleplaying game depict shields, gauntlets, and helmets. While the type of gauntlet you wear doesn't often make a difference in a roleplaying game, it can be fun to have tiny, minor differences for those who particularly enjoy the tweaking of character builds. Alternatively, you can just not worry about it, and use them simply as an aid to imagining what you character looks like. This rounds out the gear illustrations of [WOIN] Archaic Equipment; next time we'll be looking at some future gear like the popular Highfarer SFR58 Antimatter Cutlass or the Daywide Construction GA80 Plasma Hunting Rifle.  ...READ MORE

A couple of weeks ago, I posted some equipment art of swords, polearms, Eastern weapons, and others. Now it's the turn of armour! From brigandine to ringmail to lamellar to the do maru, and helms from kettle hats, kabuto, aventail, and the great helm, this art by Egil Thompson is for the WOIN roleplaying game.  ...READ MORE

Weapons are a large part of any fantasy game. Sometimes they are detailed individually, with crunchy statistics; sometimes they are merely left as flavour. However, it can be fun to imagine the weapons your character is wielding. Halberds, maces, rapiers, guisarmes, glaives, arquebuses, firelances, crossbows, and more make up the armories of any fantasy realms. Straight from the pages of [WOIN] Archaic Equipment, the upcoming sourcebook for the What's O.L.D. is N.E.W. roleplaying game system come these illustrations of a wide range of weapons from artist Egil Thompson.  ...READ MORE

It's a momentous day. I just received the last 4 art pieces from Savage Mojo (who was acting as art director) for the WOIN (What's OLD is NEW) Bestiaries! Aside from some weapon illustrations coming in over the next week or two, that's the art now finally done. And there's a LOT of art, and it has been going for about 18 months. Anyhow, here are those last four monsters - three for fantasy, one for modern.  ...READ MORE

Last month, I shared a little technobabble table from my What's O.L.D. is N.E.W. game system. It was just a flavour thing, but a few folks expressed an interest in seeing some of the others from the game, including herbalism, alchemy, medical science, and computing/hacking. This one is the alchemy table - like before, you roll d66 four times to generate a result like boil zinc in a sapphire bowl. It's mainly useful as background flavour stuff - if your character is making an alchemy check, or an NPC is doing alchemy, and you want something alchemyish to say, you can whip this little technobabble table out.  ...READ MORE

GEAR UP FOR ACTION! This manual includes a wide variety of weapons, armor, equipment, drugs, cybernetics, vehicles, and more for characters in the What's O.L.D. is N.E.W. roleplaying game system along with rules for upgrading and customizing gear. From subspace beacons, to gravbelts, to handlheld scanners; from sonic pistols to laser swords; from kevlar vests to powered armor; the equipment you choose us an important decision. And with more exotic weaponry, such as the Galactic Yards PBW28 Electro Halberd or the MicroCo JO40 Stingfury Tachyon Autopistol, you'll be sure to find something to suit your character's style. Additional requisitions and organizations rules allow you to equip your characters from your naval ship's armoury or your secret spy quartermaster. This book requires the use of a What's O.L.D. is N.E.W. core rulebook.
     ...READ MORE

In celebration of tonight's Star Wars: The Force Awakens release, I've put together a list of Star Wars themed fan RPG material. By that, I don't mean fan created content for official Star Wars games (folks make that all the year round!) but rather Star Wars inspired stuff that people have created for other games. Know of any more? Put a link in the comments! And don't forget that EN World has an entire forum devoted to Star Wars tabletop gaming in all its many varieties, both official and fan-created!  ...READ MORE

If you're one of those who was waiting for the O.L.D. character creation book rather than the (recently released) futuristic NEW one, it's a good day! As of right now, [WOIN] Archaic Careers is available in beta format on RPGNow. You can use the below discount coupon to download it right now for free. Not only that, if you do so, you'll get the final version updated for free in about 3 weeks (otherwise you'd have to buy the final version). "Create knights, burglars, mages, musketeers, and berserkers in this sourcebook for the What's O.L.D. is N.E.W. roleplaying game system."  ...READ MORE