Industry
  • Industry

Hello everyone, Darryl here with this week's gaming news! GURPS comes to Drive Thru, new Star Trek product release while a Star Wars product line comes to an end, a bit of game industry history, and more!

In a blast from the past, WotC founder Peter Adkison shared this photo (courtesy Alex Kammer) of a press release from back in 1997, which surfaced while going through some old TSR files.

Before the rise of TSR and its premiere game, Dungeons & Dragons, Avalon Hill was the dominant force in the tabletop gaming industry. Avalon Hill has since been absorbed by its competitor and is now a wargame brand of Wizards of the Coast. How did it comes to this?

A group of designers, publishers and editors have come together to form New Agenda Publishing, a publishing cooperative/consortium made up of Misha Bushyager, designer for Chill: Save and Lovecraftesque as well as being an editor of the award winning #FEMINISM microgame collection, Eloy Lasanta, the ENnie Award winning publisher of Third Eye Games, and designer and publisher Jerry Grayson of Khepera Publishing.

It's time for the statistics which tell us what games are being played on Fantasy Grounds, the virtual tabletop. This always gives a great sampling of which games are popular at the moment. As usual, D&D 5E leads by a large margin, followed by Pathfinder, D&D 3.5, then Savage Worlds. "Core RPG" in the data below refers to Fantasy Grounds' 'default' RPG module, so can reasonably be viewed as the "other" option. These stats represent the whole of 2017.

As gamers' thoughts turn to a New Year, it's worth remembering how the Forgotten Realms has reinvented itself with each iteration of Dungeons & Dragons.

Hello everyone, Darryl here with this week’s gaming news! A pair of surprise end-of-year re-release of a classic RPGs, Mayfair expands their Alliance distribution deal and parts ways with Twilight Creations, the World Health Organization has concerns about gaming, and more!

In a very quiet announcement made via the Steve Jackson Games announcement page, The Daily Illuminator, Steve Jackson announced that he had regained the right to The Fantasy Trip. One of the early transitions between wargames and role-playing games, The Fantasy Trip was Jackson's equivalent to the early Dungeons & Dragons books and would be the foundation upon which he would later build the GURPS rules.

Gamers who went gift shopping this past week likely came across a curious result when searching for "role-play" -- an entire category of kids' toys. Analyzing how we role-play as children is illustrative of how we role-play as adults.

Most of the marketing in role-playing publishing is a play on the expectations game. But because of the long cycle of development, that can mean it can be months (or years!) before that initial announcement of a game coming out, and the actuality of its release. You can see it in the "Most Anticipated Games" articles that come out here, around this time of year. How many times do we see games pop up on these lists while they go through their cycles of development and design?

Multimedia titans have noticed that success of Marvel's shared superhero universe, which replicates the comic model of characters crossing over into other arcs to create a web of stories that spiral into infinity. Hasbro has also taken note, and it looks like the upcoming Dungeons & Dragons movies are planned to take a similar approach. The concept of a shared universe is a key part of D&D today, but it wasn't always that way.

Last week I took a look at the top D&D news stories of the past year. Here, I'll be listing the most-read general RPG news stories of 2017. As before, the most-read stories are listed in order, ending with the most popular story of the year. There were thousands of news stories posted on EN World this year; I've narrowed it down to the top twenty!

As we approach the end of the year, it's time for our annual look at the top D&D news stories of the year. I've taken the most viewed stories and listed them in a super-suspenseful and exciting format I shall call "descending order". This year, for added fun, I've separated D&D news stories and general RPG news stories (the latter can be found in a separate article). The most popular item on this list was read nearly half a million times!

Patreon these days is a fundamental part of the RPG creator industry, whether for game rules, art, maps, models, podcasts, or more. As I promised a few days ago, this is a list of tabletop RPG-related Patreons. I'm doing this in the wake of Patreon's recent damaging actions, in the hope that this might help some of them get back on track again, even if only by a little bit. Please check them out, and if you can please consider backing one or more of these Patreons!

You may now vote for the most anticipated tabletop roleplaying game of 2018. Last week, I took nominations; this poll includes all qualifying nominated games. To qualify, it must be a standalone RPG, NOT a supplement, setting, adventure, sourcebook, expansion, or accessory, it must be currently scheduled for a 2018 release, and it must have received at least one nomination last week. Voting closes on Saturday 16th December. You may vote for more than one game. Last year's winner, Trudvang Chronicles from RiotMinds, is pictured below.

Hello everyone, Darryl here with this week’s gaming news. Patreon did a bad and went back on it when everyone got grumpy about it, Wizards of the Coast set new sales records, Barnes & Noble pulling away from games, DCI sanctions multiple players and judges, and more!

Last week, Patreon - a service used by a lot of RPG creators - announced a policy change out of the blue. They emailed creators and patrons alike, unilaterally telling them that they were essentially passing some costs on to the patrons, and thus increasing the amount of their pledges. Creators - including us here at EN World - watched in horror as our hard-won patron bases, which we've built up over months and years, cancelled their pledges; and we could hardly blame them. Fortunately, the outcry was heard - Patreon is NOT implementing that disastrous change!

Welcome back to our weekly look at tabletop roleplaying game, and accessories, crowdfunding roundup! This week we look into the dawn of the British Roleplaying hobby and the two men who shaped generations, a collection of dark Pathfinder adventures, a 5th Edition module, a FATE game of cataclysmic war and some beautiful gaming tiles. If you have anything you’d like us to cover, or questions about anything we talk about, please don’t hesitate to leave a comment or contact me directly.

Chaosium has announced that it will be entering into the realm of digital community generated content, with its Miskatonic Repository program through the OneBookShelf websites. This new program will allow fans and designers to create new settings, scenarios, spells and other content for the Call of Cthulhu role-playing game.

Dungeons & Dragons is back in the news again thanks to Xanathar's Guide to Everything ranked on several best-seller lists. This isn't a first for D&D -- several D&D books were best-sellers when they launched -- but it is remarkable for an edition that's now several years old.

Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast