Reviews
  • Reviews

Here at EN World, I'm looking at all-ages tabletop role-playing games, board games, and card games. Do they engage the players at the kids' gaming table? Would they cut it at the adults' table? Are they genuinely fun for every age? Tiny Dungeon: Second Edition from Gallant Knight Games "is the newest iteration of the minimalist fantasy roleplaying game!" While this is a minimalist system, the book is not as it rings in at 209 pages of rules, monsters, microsettings, and GM tips.

Beyond the world of mortal ken lies another, a nightmare world of profane alien gods, nightmarish tomes of eldritch lore, bloodlines tainted by elder secrets, and forgotten places whose existence makes a mockery of established history. You will find a world where Cthulhu dreams no longer in his house at R’lyeth in Leagues of Cthulhu.

There has been a lot of releases from Monte Cook Games over the last few months, as books come out and Kickstarter funded projects roll out, as it looks like the company is clearing the decks for the release this summer of their big project, Invisible Sun. Today, I am going to look at a couple of releases for the more generic version of their house system, the Cypher System game. This is going to be an MCG two-fer as I talk about the Expanded Worlds and Unmasked supplements.

There are some role-playing games that aim to strip out complexity wherever possible - in the rules, in character creation, even in the setting itself. And then there are those like the Infinity RPG Core Book which choose to embrace it; to lean into a universe stuffed to the brim with backstory and try to lay down mechanics for everything it throws at you.

It’s been five years since I first read Savage Worlds and until rather recently my experience was left to that of an appreciative reader. I’m certain some of you know this experience. You have something and want to run (or play), and paid good money for it, but everyone in your group is non-pulsed… That’s recently changed since my longtime friend and Fantasy Grounds GM introduced Savage Rifts (reviewed here) and Deadlands into our somewhat regular sessions. This Review is a brief delve into Deadlands Players and Marshals, Reloaded handbooks for Savage Worlds.

The Black Blade of the Demon King is an old school adventure/setting supplement from Knight Owl Publishing that attempts to recapture the madcap energy of fantasy role-playing modules from the early 1980s. Does it? Let's talk about it.

Many comic book universes have undergone a revamp that updates heroes and clears out any complex continuity. The New 52, Rebirth, All-New All-Different Marvel: the list goes on. Now we see the pre-eminent super-hero game get a similar treatment with Green Ronin's Freedom City 3rd edition for the Mutants & Masterminds game. Is this the perfect jumping on point, or do changes make things difficult for users? Read on and find out!

Spirit of 77 is a combination of street racers and kung-fu fighters, cross-country road races, and big scores in the big city with a killer '70s soundtrack. If you have ever wanted to cross paths with Bigfoot and punch him right in the face because he’s asking for it, then Spirit of 77 is for you.

One of the people that I game with locally has been running a game over the last few months of Gaslight Call of Cthulhu for the group of us at our monthly get together. As a backer of the Kickstarter, he has been using the Hudson and Brand setting by Stygian Fox as the foundation of our game. Because of this I picked up the company's new The Book of Contemporary Magical Things.

The grizzled warrior sitting across from me squinted at me with his one good eye, I assume trying to size me up with his intuition. "Are you calling me a fossil?" The scars on his arms leered at me, looking as if their very history would reach out any moment and strike me. "Uh, no. I was asking if you have any tomes on dinosaurs?" I tried to swallow my whiskey with a confidence I wasn't feeling.

Welcome once more to our monthly roundup of offerings from the Statosphere, the community-generated content portal for the Unknown Armies RPG. This month, we're breaking from tradition to look at just one product...and it's a doozy.

With the latest in their string of popular games based on licensed properties, Modiphius Entertainment has released their take on the character of Conan in their latest game for their 2d20 System of rules.

Magic can be many things in a fantasy role-playing game, but most often it is a powerful force within a game's world. However, the codification inherent in games also takes much of the awe and mystery out of magic that you see in fictional sources. The old school fantasy role-playing supplement Wonder & Wickedness attempts to re-inject a sense of the fantastic into gaming magic.

Try to survive in a hostile world ravaged by centuries of sorcerous warfare and a terrible disaster. The world of Talislanta: the Savage Land is like a nightmarish version of the Dark Ages. There are no nations, no laws, and no civilization. Illiterate and ruled by superstition, you are a warrior, nomad, slaver, or refugee struggling to survive in a hostile wasteland torn by incessant warfare and a chaotic magical maelstrom known as the Gyre.

Let's talk about using cards in your role-playing game sessions. I don't mean as an alternative to task resolution systems, but as a tool for players and game masters at the table.

Mists of Akuma may be the Meiji – Punk post-apocalypse RPG setting you never knew that you needed. The game enlists your character in the tragic tale that is Soburin, offering a dizzying array of possible cultural hooks to embrace.

Even though I’ve played and enjoyed just about every edition of Dungeons & Dragons, with an exception to 4th, I’ve pretty much stayed out of the fray in regards to D&D clones. I’ve somewhat maintained the semblance of a semi-regular D&D Basic campaign (live game) for about two years, primarily relying on the Rules Cyclopedia, and occasionally mixing (and experimenting) in elements from games like HackMaster as well as more recently, Lamentations of the Flame Princess. Like any role-playing alchemist, I’ll never stop mixing. And since Mazes & Perils Deluxe Edition is a clone of Holmes Basic D&D, I’m eager to take a closer look.

This is the Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone…. Mayday. Mayday…. We are under attack…. Main drive is gone… Turret number one not responding…. Mayday…. Losing cabin pressure fast calling anyone…. Please help…. This is the Free Trader Beowulf…. Mayday…. Bold explorers and brave travellers journey between the stars in Traveller the science fiction roleplaying game by Mongoose Publishing.

I love zines. And, really, who doesn't? Zines are the ultimate expression of the DIY (do-it-yourself) aesthetic that has always been central to role-playing games. With crowd funding sites like Patreon, zines can become, while perhaps not profitable but at least self-sustaining. Kobold Press is using the site to bring out their print zine for Dungeons & Dragons 5E, Warlock. Let's take a look at the most recent couple of issues.

Welcome once more to our monthly roundup of offerings from the Statosphere, the community-generated content portal for the Unknown Armies RPG. This month, we're taking a look at a trio of titles to drop into—or even kick off—your campaigns.

Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast