Reviews
  • Reviews

Sometimes the mists part in the City and you see monsters behind the mundane. Then mythic power infuses your normal reality, striving to turn you from your normal life into a mythic legend. Can you walk a path between the two extremes while trying to see what is hiding in a City of Mist?  ...READ MORE

I love miniatures. Depending on one's style of play, miniatures can serve an important in-game function or simply be used as a stand-in for some other piece. Some gamers simply paint minis for the joy of the process. The MiniCrate from Privateer Press certainly goes a long way to appeal to the miniature lover in us all. I love it, but is it right for you?  ...READ MORE

Since the majority of official D&D adventures have been set in dungeons (or the equivalent) and wilderness areas, making the latest hardcover adventure, Waterdeep: Dragon Heist, a city-based adventure is a breath of fresh air. It's also a great chance to give the Sword Coast's most cosmopolitan city some 5th Edition attention.  ...READ MORE

The Dragon Issue 10 was published in October 1977. It is 36 pages long, with a cover price of $1.50. This issue saw the inclusion of a complete, all-new board game.  ...READ MORE

I love heist/caper stories and urban fantasy adventures so the minute the D&D team announced Waterdeep: Dragon Heist, I couldn't wait to get my hands on it. Now that I've got it? I'm still excited.  ...READ MORE

Curious about monthly subscription boxes aimed at tabletop gamers? Take a look at the boxes you can get from Dice Envy!  ...READ MORE

There are plenty of interesting ideas and novel approaches to adapting parts of the videogame to the tabletop, but The Witcher is tough as dragonhide and as intimidating as any wraith. But if you already love the series and are comfortable with simulationist RPGs, it’s a great way to forge your own stories in its dark, deadly world.  ...READ MORE

I pick up the first book and hand it to my partner. “Look at this.” I say. Not, “check out the system” or “this is like this game, television show, or book.” No I just hand the book over and let her look at it. She begins turning the pages, looking through the art, and just feeling the heft of the book. I can tell that she is already hooked and when I ask her, she agrees that she is ready to try it.  ...READ MORE

Legendary Games’ ENnie Award nominated game, Legendary Beginnings: A Feast of Flavor by Rachel Ventura, is an all-ages tabletop RPG adventure waiting to be played at the kids’ gaming table. How does this 72-page, all-ages adventure – available for either 5e or Pathfinder – measure up at the adult’s table? This review examines the 5e version of the game, however, it is also available for Pathfinder 1e as well.  ...READ MORE

Following my previous adventure with the original After the Bomb, I decided to check out the second edition of the game. It’s interesting and fun, but probably not something I would play as an extended campaign—though it certainly has that kind of potential.  ...READ MORE

Every older RPG that has been revived after being out of print for a number of years wants to be 7th Sea. Its 2016 Kickstarter raised $1.3 million, breaking crowdfunding records for role-playing games and making it a huge success in comparison to its $30,000 goal. Lands of Gold and Fire is a by-product of that Kickstarter and a gorgeous by-product it is.  ...READ MORE

Are you willing to head into deep space as a prospector, merchant, colonist, or archaeologist to avoid being confined on one planet working for a corporation? You’ll have more freedom and the chance to make a big score but you’ll have to face horrifying alien lifeforms bent on your destruction out in the Cold and Dark.  ...READ MORE

On Monday, right in the middle of recording our latest podcast, a package from WotC arrived - which, incidentally, I opened live on-air in an audio-only medium, which is always the best way to show off a colouring book. The package contained a Dungeons & Dragons colouring book (illustrated by Todd James) called Adventures Outlined, which is apparently due for general release next week (it should be in some local game stores already).  ...READ MORE

Warsong 2e by Ray Machuga of Higher Grounds Publishing leads off with a freshly minted term, “Sengoku Punk." What is Sengoku Punk?  ...READ MORE

How you feel about Lost Tales of Myth Drannor, which just won the Gold ENnie Award for Best Organized Play at Gen Con, will probably depend upon your needs as a DM and your personal taste.  ...READ MORE

Good news, you space-faring fans of Starfinder: the STARFINDER ARMORY is here and it is stuffed to the gills with gear! There are new ways to frag, slag, burn, kill, maim, and otherwise cut a swath across the Core Worlds and beyond in this book, so let’s get cracking!  ...READ MORE

When WotC announced the Wayfinder's Guide to Eberron as a PDF release it caused a great disturbance as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in joy and frustration. The joy is because the most requested setting in the player surveys was finally being released for 5th Edition. The frustration is because it's not a physical book, it's not legal for D&D Adventurer's League and it said that Wayfinder's “will serve to collect feedback on adjusted races, dragon marks, new backgrounds and more,” making it seem like a beta release. By contrast, Curse of Strahd Ravenloft was presented as an adventure and source material.  ...READ MORE

Modern AGE is a tool box RPG with detailed rules for player characters but only a brief setting. There are enough adversaries and an adventure to get a GM started, but rules for customizing a setting are scarce. The rules are most comprehensive for a setting designed for the computer age.  ...READ MORE

A focused and flavorful supplement for the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game from Dragon Wing Games, Torn Asunder is for that friend of yours that won’t shut up about Dark Souls; for that dad who’s way into old-school wargames and complains that hiking and climbing are streamlined into skill checks; or that guy at the FLGS with the grey ponytail who keeps recycling the same worn-out stories of AD&D.
     ...READ MORE

A few weeks ago, a ponderous volume was plopped onto my doorstep by a no doubt arcane delivery service. It was Sandy Petersen's Cthulhu Mythos for the Pathfinder role-playing game. I've had a couple of weeks to go through the book now, and I think that I have my thoughts on it gathered up. Outside of Lovecraft himself, I don't think that few single people have had as great of an impact upon the overall shape of the Cthulhu Mythos as Petersen has had. Between creating Call of Cthulhu for Chaosium and being one of the original developers of Doom, Petersen has cast a dark shadow across the Mythos from a number of media.

...READ MORE
    Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast