Reviews
  • Reviews

With the new Star Wars saga passing its middle chapter and Marvel's Infinity War ready to land in May, it means that a lot of groups might be eyeing the stars as a place to set their games. The Cosmic Handbook has been eagerly awaited by Mutants and Masterminds fans for a while, and is finally out for fans of super-heroic science fiction to use in their games.

Welcome to this month's Storyteller's Vault Roundup! This time around we have more exciting news to share for fans of alternate Vampire: The Masquerade settings, and we'll be taking a look at the products coming out from Josh Heath and his team at High Level Games.

Last summer, scheduling conflicts temporarily wrecked my D&D Basic live campaign. When play resumed only half the players were able to make the game. Instead of grinding through some side quests, and especially because the player characters were at an important point in the campaign; we transitioned to a completely different RPG. Knowing that we would likely get only a handful of sessions in before our regular game resumed, I decided to give the group a choice among a number of RPGs from my reviewer slush pile.

Necva was dead, of that there was no doubt. I had recently watched him get full on ganked by some kids in a crumbling tower. Still, there he was in front of me, body parts missing, but with some e-books in his spellbook. "Look, you're late. You're a humbug. Review these for the people." When that ole' liche tells you to make the people happy, you don't ask why, you just do it. I grabbed his spell book and began to read. Welcome to what was supposed to be the holiday edition of DM Guild Roundup. No random grab bag this month, but a selection of three holiday pdfs for you to run your crew through.

Today I will be looking at the ENnie Nominated sourcebook Atlas Of Earth-Prime by Green Ronin. While it missed out on the top spots, this book has a lot going for it and I thought I'd break down where I think it shines and where it might could have been better.

Here at EN World, I'm looking at all-ages tabletop role-playing games, board games, and card games. Do they engage the players at the kids' gaming table? Would they cut it at the adults' table? Are they genuinely fun for every age? My Little Pony: Tails of Equestria is an officially licensed RPG designed to let fans immerse themselves in MLP.

Gathox Vertical Slum is a rules supplement and setting book for old school fantasy role-playing games (in the mode of Dungeons & Dragons) that combines a European weird fantasy sensibility with the claustrophobic oppressiveness of Judge Dredd's Mega City One setting. Fans of the French artist Moebius or the psychedelic sensibilities of Alejandro Jodorowsky will find plenty to spice up their campaigns with this game book. Gathox is the singular vision of writer and artist D.L. Johnson.

The world of Dark Sun existed as an eco-disaster with most uses of arcane magic burning life to dust. Steel exists only as lost treasure and iron is as rare as gold. Water gives life but is a rare commodity and even if an oasis can be found it is likely protected or may be the hunting grounds for some menacing beast. Heavy armor is not only rare but likely to bake its wearer beneath the brutal sun and lead to death even without a battle.

Welcome to the 7th Sea Explorer’s Society Roundup! Created from the final stretch goal of John Wick Presents 7th Sea 2e Kickstarter campaign, the Explorer’s Society is an option to distribute and/or sell official 7th Sea crowd-sourced content. Setup within DriveThruRPG and RPGNow, the model is similar to the DMsGuild (Dungeons & Dragons) or the Storyteller’s Vault (World of Darkness) in that individual creators can share their 7th Sea 2E content as long as it conforms to the content guidelines for the Explorer’s Society, which can be found here.

Every Palladium fan probably knows the story behind 1990's Rifts—following a "small" nuclear war, the world is plunged into over 200 years of utter chaos. Then, dimensional rifts rupture the planet. All over the earth, strange creatures, inter-dimensional beings (D-Bees), cyborgs and aliens walk among men. After that, things get interesting.

Within four years, indie RPG creator Fraser Ronald has used Kickstarter to fund and deliver three Storyteller RPGs successfully and Swords Edge is his latest creation. With Swords Edge the emphasis is sharing the narrative. It prescribes to player determined narrative, the "don't ask the GM, tell the GM" theorem, and it has a number of interesting game play mechanics to assist with this type of gaming.

One of my favorite Ferengi Rules of Acquisition says, "Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack." In the realm of rpg design, I might modify that to say, "A good adventure idea and an empty sack is worth the sack." In this case, I'm talking about grand, imaginative, thrilling adventure ideas that game masters envision for their players but, for whatever reason, never actually run in a game. A million-dollar vision that fails to become reality isn't worth much at all. This continues the early part of this review.

Welcome to this month's Storyteller's Vault Roundup! This month we have some exciting news for fans of historical Vampire: The Masquerade gaming, as well as a couple spotlights on recent releases from the Vault.

This review covers the kickstarter PDF of the upcoming Mutant Crawl Classics (MCC) hardcover rulebook. In Mutant Crawl Classics you explore a mutated ruined world as a human or mutant (human, animal, or plant). In 282 black and white pages filled with amazing art, MCC presents hothouse jungles and glowing deserts filled with ruins hiding ancient artifacts guarded by mutated beasts. The game pays homage to Gamma World while providing its own twists and unique takes on a ruined world.

Here at EN World, I'm looking at all-ages tabletop role-playing games, board games, essays, and card games. Do they engage the players at the kids' gaming table? Would they cut it at the adults' table? Are they genuinely fun for every age? After School Adventures: Adventures in Wonderland #1 - Chasing the White Rabbit by J Gray from Playground Adventures is the first in a series of mini-adventure paths available for 5e, Pathfinder, or Hero Kids. Each sold separately, these 15- to 17-page (depending on the gaming system) introductory PDFs includes adventure hooks, the adventure, new creatures, and a map.

Recently I picked up the print on demand version of The Primal Order by Wizards of the Coast founder Peter Adkison. I have the original edition of the book, I managed to grab a copy of it back in the day, and I have the other published books for the unfortunately uncompleted game line. The idea behind The Primal Order was to build what they called a "capsystem" that would work as an overlay to other game systems, expanding them into new directions. The Primal Order line dealt with gods and clerics, an important part of many fantasy role-playing games.

One of the first rules they teach you in those pesky freshman-year composition courses is "know your audience." Before you sit down to write a text, consider who's going to be reading it and plan accordingly. When it comes to tabletop role-playing games, I've always considered the game master to be the primary audience of published adventures. Game masters are far more likely than players to read the text of an adventure, so why wouldn't a designer write with the game master in mind?

A lot has been made recently about specific games for gaming with your children. A lot of products in the last five years have focused on this with a wide variety options and feels from Hero Kids, Little Heroes and the upcoming Last Unicorn RPG from Playground Adventures. With that I thought I'd provide a review of a game I used for a long time to get kids into gaming – Steve Jackson Games's Toon.

Welcome back folks, it’s time for the PAIZO NEWS ROUNDUP, your one-stop spot for all the new and interesting material coming from your favorite ever-giving golem. In this go-round, we’ll pick up some new toys that got left out of the earlier look at Ultimate Wilderness, and also introduce a brand new Player Companion. Let’s get started!

Warhammer Fantasy Role-Play portrays a grungy world being infiltrated by Chaos magic and cultists. Beneath the dirty streets of Renaissance cities are the tunnels of the Skaven, ratmen, while in the highest halls of power leaders and rulers corrupted by Chaos plot the downfall of the kingdoms of men.

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast