Video Games
  • Video Games

Pathfinder Online hasn't had the best year. Ryan Dancey left GoblinWorks (the company producing the game), and funding issues led to nearly the entire development staff being let go. This left the company seeking up to $2 million from investors to finish the game. Things looked dire, but a letter from GoblinWorks and Paizo CEO Lisa Stevens hints that there may be light at the end of the tunnel - an (as yet unnamed) company has signed a letter of intent to fund the game after spending two days at the Paizo offices in Seattle. This is phrased in the letter as an "acquisition", and that the company is still negotiating the funding. The plan is for the new company to take over the game and its development on March 1, 2016.  ...READ MORE

It's survey results time again! WotC has just posted the results of last month's survey about the September Unearthed Arcana ranger class (which you can find here). The short version is that the ranger variation with less magic and no full-time animal companion was poorly received, while dual-wielding rangers and archery rangers were more popular. They will be following this up by making a ranger version focussed on the animal companion. Additionally, there's a brand new survey - all about Sword Coast Legends. The survey asks which aspects of the game are your favourite (area, class, etc.) and what you would like to see added. It also asks about the characters from the game, and which you would like to see escape the confines of the video game and find their way into other media.  ...READ MORE

And no, that doesn't mean playing a D&D video game. It means playing round a virtual game table with virtual dice! (thanks to Sean for the scoop). I don't know if this looks awesome or awful. It's from a small VR company called AltspaceVR, using Oculus VR headsets. Apparently there was some level of collaboration with WotC, who provided some art assets for the project. The commercial version of the app is coming in 2016. I think the easiest way to understand it is to just watch the video!  ...READ MORE

Remember Warlock of Firetop Mountain? I still have mine, although its well-thumbed. It was the first Fighting Fantasy book. You know - when the Choose Your Own Adventure style stuff added RPG stats! Now there's a re-imagining of the classic Fighting Fantasy adventure gamebook written by Steve Jackson and Ian Livingstone being developed by Melbourne games studio, Tin Man Games, into a rich, digital tabletop RPG, complete with miniatures and multiple character paths. "Tin Man Games is bringing The Warlock of Firetop Mountain closer towards its tabletop role-playing game roots, with a rich interactive 3D map, collectable digital miniatures, an updated combat system and the ability to explore Firetop Mountain with multiple characters. Each of these characters, represented by a new digital miniature, will have their own motivations for entering Zagor the Warlock’s dungeons and each one will change the story, opening new areas and offering new ways of interacting with the denizens that inhabit them."  ...READ MORE

Dan Tudge of n-Space, makers of Sword Coast Legends, has just posted a major "State of the Game" announcement which recognizes that opinion on the game has been polarizing and that it does not meet the expectations of many, and how the company plans to address those issues. To that end, there's a whole bunch of upcoming update packs, which include more areas, control enhancements, a "cleared" outdoor area ready for placeables, new races, and the two seemingly biggest enhancements: a tile-based editor and the Rage of Demons storyline.
     ...READ MORE

Plenty of people paid up for the Head Start access, and have been playing it for a while, but today's the day that Sword Coast Legends goes on general release. It's the latest in a long tradition of D&D branded videogames, and includes a single player campaign and a DM-mode which allows you to run adventures for your friends. There are reviews all over the web - you can find more than you could ever want to read with a couple of clicks - and they seem generally positive amongst non-tabletop D&D players and negative amongst those who were hoping for a faithful recreation of the D&D 5th Edition rules. You can grab the game from Steam and other places.
     ...READ MORE

This is the first in a series of articles about Dungeons & Dragon's expression in a variety of digital media. Our first installment begins with Multi-User Dungeons (MUDs) and Massive Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Games (MMORPGs).

...READ MORE

I grabbed the head start for the upcoming D&D videogame from n-Space last night (the actual release is this coming week) and played it for an hour or so. Overall, I enjoyed it. My system isn't quite up to it, being 7 years old now, so the experience was a bit jerky, but I coped. I really need to upgrade! So, first impression: this is Neverwinter Nights. It looks like NWN in terms of interface and general view (that familiar 3D isometric view). It sounds like NWN. It feels like NWN. The gameplay and plotting feels like NWN. While playing the single player campaign, I could totally believe I was playing NWN.  ...READ MORE

I don't know if this is a new trailer for Sword Coast Legends, but it's new to me. "Discover the Forgotten Realms with an immersive single-player campaign and the innovative Dungeon Master Mode, which lets you run adventures in real-time for up to four friends."  ...READ MORE

Minecraft has become ubiquitous with kids everywhere who are obsessed with the crafting game, and for good reason: the game has a presence on every major game console, raking in over $300 million in revenue in 2014. Although it might seem children are frittering away their time glued to screens, my kids' transition to Dungeons & Dragons was so effortless that Minecraft may be one of the most effective means of getting a younger generation into playing fantasy tabletop role-playing games.

...READ MORE

Paizo CEO Lisa Stevens has announced that Goblinworks has had to lay off nearly the entire staff of Pathfinder Online. "We knew we needed a certain amount of money to finish to build the game, and we came really damn close, but we just couldn’t find the last bit of funding that we needed. […] Last Friday, we had to lay off most of the staff. […] I couldn’t pay them anymore. We gave them lots of warning, so they all knew this was coming." Not only that, apparently Ryan Dancey left the company two weeks ago! That leaves three employees (who are continuing work on the game), who are being moved to the Paizo offices; the Goblinworks offices are being closed. The company is seeking $1-$2 million from other investors to finish the game.
     ...READ MORE

At PAX Prime this week, the trailer below was shown. "Dare to Descend! Demon Lords have invaded the Underdark. Get a glimpse of what's in store for the Forgotten Realms with a suite of Rage of Demons products, including: Sword Coast Legend, Neverwinter: Underdark, a D&D tabletop roleplaying game adventure, miniatures and accessories".
     ...READ MORE

Great news for any geek whose gotten at least part of their D&D dose from computer gaming. GOG.com has finally come through, and added all the D&D Gold Box games to its database - and at a price that won’t empty your bag of holding. They’ve gathered them in 3 collections, The Forgotten Realms Archives 1, 2, and 3. Number 1 includes the three Eye of the Beholder games (bundled for $9.99), number 2 includes many that would work perfectly as introduction to 5E’s organized play Expeditions (Pool of Radiance, Curse of the Azure Bonds, Hillsfar, Secret of the Silver Blades, Pools of Darkness, Gateway to the Savage Frontier, Treasures of the Savage Frontier, Forgotten Realms Unlimited Adventures, bundled for $9.99), and number 3 is very suited to the upcoming 5E storyline with Dungeon Hack & Menzoberranzan (bundled for $5.99).
     ...READ MORE

This short video from the upcoming Sword Coast Legends video game demonstrates an illithid wiggling when hit by energy blasts. "Coming to Sword Coast Legends: Mind flayers, also called illithids, are the scourge of sentient creatures across countless worlds. Four tentacles snake from their octopus-like heads, flexing in hungry anticipation when thinking creatures come near." Sword Coast Legends is currently slated for release on PC on September 29th, with console releases later in the year.
     ...READ MORE

Upcoming D&D video game Sword Coast Legends has been pushed back by three weeks. The PC release is now September 29th, with the console releases still being unchanged at "late 2015". However, a "headstart access" will be available from September 8th for anyone with a PC pre-order. Note only that, but pre-orders will now get the Rage of Demons storyline free of charge (thanks to Jeremy for the scoop).
     ...READ MORE

For those curious about the campaign creation tools in Sword Coast Legends, here's a long (nearly an hour) video delving into them. It features Design Director Tim Schwalk and Community Manager Ash Sevilla.
     ...READ MORE

Beamdog has just announced a new expansion to Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition. It's called Siege of Dragonspear, and covers events between Baldur's Gate I and II with 25 hours of gameplay. Additionally, there's a new Shaman class and four new party members.
     ...READ MORE

These two videos comprise a two-part extended look at the campaign creation and DM tools in the upcoming Sword Coast Legends video game. The first is 12 minutes long, and the second is about 15 minutes of a DM and four players going through a dungeon in real time. This is the same stuff that was shown at E3 (more info on that here).
     ...READ MORE

Many articles about Sword Coast Legends (Sep 8th for PC; later in the year for XBone and PS4) are referring to the "robust Dungeon Master tools", and these tools are a feature that a lot of people - especially here on EN World - are very interesting. Many are hoping for something akin the the old Neverwinter Nights toolset. I figured I'd poke around in various articles written at E3 and tease out any tidbits about the DM tools that I could find. Here's what I got!
     ...READ MORE

Sword Coast Legends was one of the many games on display at E3 this week. MMORPG.com was able to try it out. "TheHiveLeader got some hands-on time with the upcoming RPG, Sword Coast Legends. Also, Bill Murphy is a jerk of a DM. Also, we sadly were not able to get gameplay footage from the game, so the video is from the trailer for the game." This short (2 minute) video provides a quick overview. "Holy crap! Sword Coast Legends is good!" They briefly touch on the DM tools, too, which I know a lot of people are very eager to hear more about.
     ...READ MORE
    Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast