Video Games
  • Video Games

The spread of Dungeons & Dragons-style video games and their subsequent enormous popularity peaked in the West with Massive Multi-players Online Role-Playing Games (MMORPGs) like EverQuest and World of Warcraft. But a confluence of technology and culture has created a new gaming craze that's become so popular so quickly that the Chinese government is condemning its use. Welcome to Honor of Kings.

Hello everyone, Darryl here with this week’s gaming news! Starfinder in the wild, Pathfinder Adventures comes to desktop PCs, Fantasy Grounds price drop, Fallout coming to tabletop, Games Workshop gets sued, and more!

Hello everyone, Darryl here with this week’s gaming news! We’ve got a lot of miniature and board game news because Gen Con’s just around the corner and all the RPG news will be happening then. In the mean time, we’ve got our first look at the final production models for Stafinder miniatures, a new dungeon crawl board game from WizKids, Target getting over 70 new exclusive games, new Warhammer 40,000 Codices, and more!

Game Informer's recent issue featured a new ranking, the Top 100 RPGs, but the list was really about role-playing video games. Tabletop gamers know that there's at least one game that should be #1.

The fireball is a staple of Dungeons & Dragons-style magic that clearly distinguishes its modern wargaming roots from the fantasy dress it adopted. As such, the history of the fireball spell is a history of D&D itself.

Recent struggles with Marvel's comics brand have made it clear that Marvel's properties are more valuable to as a multimedia franchise than the comics that spawned them. Could that happen with Hasbro and the Dungeons & Dragons brand?

Economists have once again pointed a finger at escapist fantasy as the potential downfall of civilization -- with video games the most recent scapegoat -- due to young people supposedly finding their increasingly realistic escapism more appealing than work. And yet tabletop role-playing games are even more engaging than video games...so why haven't they heralded the end of the world as we know it?

Hello everyone, Darryl here with this week’s news. Vampire: The Masquerade 5th Edition design team announced, teases for the new edition of Warhammer 40,000, Origin Awards nominees announced, a new Pathfinder video game, Mike Mearls does an AMA, and more! Yeah, I stretched more to get this headline than the last one...

Divinity: Original Sin 2 is a turn-based RPG video game which was Kickstarted in 2015. I don't usually cover video games here, since tabletop RPGs are a big enough subject on their own, but this one's a little different because the developers recently revealed a "Game Master Mode". Not only that, they used that mode to play Lost Mine of Phandelver - the adventure in the D&D 5E Starter Set - at WotC's offices. It has overtones of Neverwinter Nights, a game of which I have very fond memories. (thanks to Søren for the scoop)

A rundown of the New Releases that should be hitting games stores this coming week! Board games, card games, RPGs, Wargames, Miniatures and collectible games... hopefully something for everyone! For more information about any of the products please contact your local games store.

London was host to SALUTE, one of the biggest and best miniature wargames shows in world, over the weekend and Modiphius Entertainment used the opportunity to tease about one of their new games – Fallout: Wasteland Warfare, a 32mm scale miniature game releasing later this year.

The Dread Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog from Monty Python and the Holy Grail is legendary among tabletop gamers. It turns out that the diabolical rabbit has precedent in medieval manuscripts before it was finally imported to tabletop role-playing games.

Hello everyone, Darryl here with this week’s gaming news! We finally know what the PlanEscape website is all about, Goodman Games is bringing us In Search of the Unknown at the Keep on the Borderlands, Friend Computer might be upset if you don't find out about a new pre-order available, RuneQuest gets a new line developer, and more!

I-CON, short for Island CONvention, has been a staple of geek culture on Long Island for decades. I-CON disappeared for five years, but it returned this year with I-CON 32 to a new venue. I had the pleasure of being a guest last weekend once more and I'm happy to report the con is back on its feet.

When Chris Cocks, the recently-named CEO of Wizards of the Coast, took on his new position we speculated how his digital gaming background, strongly grounded in Magic: The Gathering, might influence the company's vision. Thanks to a letter he released in January, we have a bit more insight into how he plans to translate his vision into reality.

There's been an announcement by Chris Cocks, the President of Wizards of the Coast, of a shift in their support for their product through digital means. The new studio includes the Magic Online team, and it mentions a D&D augmented-reality game (something like Pokemon Go?)

The unstoppable franchise that is Star Wars is back in the headlines thanks to the blockbuster success of Rogue One, a film that delves into the sci-fi epic's detailed backstory. It's easy to forget that when Disney acquired the Star Wars license and redefined what was canon, the company declared that the tabletop role-playing game was an integral part of defining the universe.

Hello everyone, Darryl here with this week’s gaming news! Star Trek Adventures opens its playtest to the public, official MLP gaming news, the ASA says Hello Games didn’t use deceptive advertising, Steve Jackson Games new products and organized play announcements, and more!

Justin Achilli - well-known writer, designer, and developer from the heyday of White Wolf - is back in a big way with this very exciting new project. Folks have been playing the party/RP game about finding werewolves in the village for many, many years; almost every single convention I've been to has either an official gathering for it, or impromptu hallway games erupt in the middle of the night. Now, the game of lying to your friends about your other friends in order to not get eaten or murdered on the spot comes to virtual reality.

Everything is Dolphins is a bare bones role-playing game created by author and musical artist Ray Weiss and later released, with accompanying art, by Tim Hutchings. Everything is Dolphins in turn has its roots in a groundbreaking video game, Ecco the Dolphin. And Ecco the Dolphin was inspired by some bizarre real-life experiments with dolphins that influenced the creation of the video game.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast