Lucas Disowns The Holiday Special

mojo1701

First Post
Originally posted on www.imdb.com

Lucas Wants TV 'Star Wars' Film Banned

Moviemaker George Lucas wants his first Star Wars sequel banned, as he is so disappointed with its quality. The one-off, two-hour-long The Star Wars Holiday Special was originally screened on the CBS network in 1978 and tells the story of Chewbacca's journey home with Hans Solo to celebrate Life Day with his family. During the course of the much-maligned movie, Carrie Fisher's beautiful Leia is seen reducing Hans Solo and Luke Skywalker to tears with a song. A contributor on the Star Wars website comments, "The Holiday Special has always been the red-headed step child of the Star Wars family." While a source at LucasFilm adds, "The Holiday Special was the biggest f***-up ever. The Force was definitely not with Mr. Lucas the day that doozy was born."

Discuss.

Krieg

First Post
He may not be an idiot but he is often very childish. Suck it up George, admit you screwed the pooch on that one and get on with your life.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
That might be the thing that taught him 'I must control everything personally down to the last detail'. I've never seen it myself but I've heard stories about it, horriffic tales. I should pick up a copy of it at a con, someday.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Krieg said:
He may not be an idiot but he is often very childish.
Aren't we all? :p

The day I stop being childish is the day I sell my RPG collection to Goodwill.

As for George Lucas, if he wants to consider the Holiday Special as apocryphal -- as Gene Roddenberry placed that label on Shatner-directed Star Trek V: The Final Frontier -- I won't object. But like it or not, it is there, Georgie-boy, so you might as well reap as much profit from it, especially from nostalgic SW fans.

Now, if you would be so kind to hurry up the production of Star Wars: The Broadway Musical? Disney's beating you money-wise with their Lion King and Beauty and the Beast.

Last edited:

And, well, Star Trek 5 was pretty bad. It's almost comical, imagining Mr. Shatner saying, "Yes, and I, Kirk, will kill God!"

It wasn't terrible from a storytelling perspective, but the whole thing about going to the center of the galaxy was just silly. It's the geek in me, but I can't help but nitpick that the different series had established that you're not supposed to be able to travel that far.

Starman

Adventurer
What is this Star Wars Holiday Special you all speak of? Are you also the people that spread the horrible rumor about sequels to Highlander?

Starman

Starman said:
What is this Star Wars Holiday Special you all speak of? Are you also the people that spread the horrible rumor about sequels to Highlander?

Starman
No, no, this horror was actually real!...and I can only say that because it introduced Boba Fett.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases