Another Bastard Child of Tolkien

Paka

Explorer
Chapter I
Red Door

I was born hungry. My mother was over-taken by a pack Ghouls while working the fields in a nameless village just outside of Deeproot.

There were more rocks than crops and more misery than rocks.

It is unclear to me how I was born a Ghoul. We don't know much about our own bodies except for the Hunger.

I knew the Hunger before I ever knew anything else and I chewed my way from the womb. As long as I kept the hunger in check, kept meat down my throat, I could think, reason, even laugh on occasion. When the Hunger had me, though, I was worse than a rabid dog.

So I kept food in me, hid caches of meat from the pack leader so that I had time to take hard looks at the world around me.

The worst thing about the pack leader of my youth was that when he was in the euphoria of a good meal, he'd tell us all about his Ghoulish Empire his polished bone throne to the lowliest fat human slave.

All pack leaders have delusions of grandeur, grotesque fantasies about taking over the world and having all of the meat you can gorge yourself on. Vampire Lords, Liche Court Sorcerors, Spectral Judges and Ghost librarians. Our own pack, the Evil Dogs, was lead by a fool who called himself Cannibal Alpha.

He died at the hands of a Cleric of Ulula but the rest of us overwhelmed her and ate her, feet first.

This gave me an evening with her while she slowly died. She stared up into the stars as I chewed on her ankles. She was bleeding to death and in all kinds of shock. I was amazed at her lucidity, given the situation.

She and I stared at the night sky together. I only know the big one is the Sun and the other one is the Moon. There are hundreds and they all have names, apparently. I have heard rumors that some of these stars form pictures that only humans can see. When I looked up and tried to make pictures I only saw food.

There is this red one that winks as if it were far away pool of blood in the sky. She pointed it out to me.

"The rest of us go to the Moon or the Sun when we die but not you. Your kind go to the Red Door and live out your forevers tortured by the evil you inflicted on others," and she shuddered a quiet, and given the circumstances, dignified death. I'd like to think she went to the Sun. She tasted like a Sun-type.

When my own hunger subsided I wasn't cursed with grandiose visions, like Cannibal Alpha. I got quiet and introspective. The world began to divide itself into hungers, eaters and the devoured. There was nothing in all of the world that I couldn't find a place for in one of those three categories.

The Hungry One chose me. It chose me to lead the Ghouls and it wanted me to make them into a great nation. I wouldn't lead them to stupidity like C.A. It whispered to me and I worshipped it, worshipped the Hungry One because it is all I have ever known.

I have a small altar, a twisted tree stump stained brown with blood.

We found a town on a forgotten highway in the Jade Forest. There were some shape shifting barbarians who saw to the local's protection. After gorging on a farming family and their livestock I thought of a plan. While the pigs squealed it occurred to me that we needed to prove to ourselves that a Ghoul economy could work on a small scale.

We would take this town from their shapeshifting oppressors and take them under our wing. With my own divine inspiration guiding our Hunger, we would humbly begin a nation.

And we did too.

Once a month the villagers gave us one of their own, chosen by lottery to sate our taste for human flesh. The rest of the time we got by on hunting.

To insure the town's peaceful cooperation we took honored guests and kept them in the tombs with us.

We took refuge in the marble tombs a few miles away from the town.

I can remember the howls of victory when we drove an owlbear from a farmer's land. We were protecting our flock and it was working.

We knew that eventually heroes would come.

They did.

It was humiliating really.

Three Halflings and a Half-Orc and a Priestess.

The Hungry One warned me that trouble would come. I had seen to preparations.

I brought runaway Sunturion Legionnaires into Ghouldom and Goblin Wolfriders to your ravenous ways. I threatened the local silversmith into making silver caps for out teeth, making our bites harmful to those damned lycanthropes.

My shining addition was an ogre. We tortured that bastard for weeks before he finally gave in an ate flesh. After he had his first bite he belonged to the Hungry One, heart and soul. He was my bodyguard, always by my side. I clad him in chainmail and put silver spikes through his club. He was a monster in the truest sense of the word.

I was playing chess when I heard the lock on the pens click. Damned Halfling was picking the lock right in front of us and no one saw or smelled him. He waltzed into the camp like he was going to the maypole on fairday.

I placed my Bishop in line to check mate my little honored guest and unleashed my magicks.

The Ogre felled a priestess, of Tiamat I think with a deft shot to the head. One of my packmates finished her off.

The little men, these damned Hobbits fought furiously. Everytime I was confident they were done they would pull some kind of trick, a tumble or just pure determination and outlast my packs.

The Half-Orc fought like a cornered Manticore and in time I fell to her blade. She cut me down while I prayed to the Hungry One to end her.

I saw the battlefield as I went on to my fate.

I could see my own body lying there next to the meat pit, buzzing with flies.

My ogre (you know, I never named the bastard) felled the Half-Orc but fell to one of the Halflings of all things.

The best dressed Halfling, the dandy with their rapier, will have a scar on the front of his throat from a Ghoul bite. I hope when he looks on it he thinks on us and shudders.

Their priestess of Tiamat, partially devoured by a Ghoul, died. I suppose some would say it was a heroic death but it seemed rather pointless to me. But I am rather biased.

Their Half-Orc warrior will have a small hole in her cheek where a silver spike from my nameless Ogre's club hit her face but she'll live.

Their sneak came away with few wounds because he was paralyzed by my dark magicks for most of the battle. My guards were rounding up the run aways before they ate him. I so wish I could have eaten him, Halflings are so lovely in the autumn, they are just beginning to put on their winter fat.

One of the Halflings was some kind of a warrior and was badly scarred along his face by fire already. He was littered with small stabs and bites but I fear that none of my packs gave him anything to really remember us by.

I imagine they destroyed us out of some sense of heroism or justice. It doesn't matter. In the end I was just another pack leader as bad as Cannibal Alpha or even worse. At least he had dared to dream big.

My hopes and dreams of a Ghoul city or even a small Ghoul town are gone and soon the sun will rise. Only one scarlet star is left in the blue remnants of the night sky.

Now excuse me, I have a Red Door to enter.

Attachments

• good little jpg.jpg
    good little jpg.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 214

Paka

Explorer
Chapter II - Jasmine Smith Meets Once Upon a Time

Chapter II
Jasmine Smith Meets Once Upon a Time

I was born and raised in Deepmist and always hated it here. It was like something magical and enchanting was happening here once but now it is all over and not much comes down the highway. My ma is the smith in town. Since the Ghouls took pa, she’s the only one able to make anything really fine but mostly it is all horseshoes and nails.
Deepmist is a small town, known nowadays only because it is precisely between two great cities. Deeproot, a broken city known amongst the townsfolk for being populated with liars and cheats, and Ladymist, a glittering magical place known among the townsfolk for being populated with Wizards and fools. Hence the name taking the Deep from Deeproot and the Mist from Ladymist.

Us Deepmisters have a saying that Deepmist is named for those two cities because we always get the worst from both.

The Widow is old. Old enough so that even the oldest farmer doesn’t know the real meaning of her name. Is she called the Widow because when she’s dangerous like the Black Widow spider? Is it an ironic title because she never married at all? Or is it just the simple answer that some man died, her husband, leaving her a widow? The children speak near the town well in hushed tones of a dead husband and they whisper that he was an aspiring Necromancer from Deeproot.

The Widow carries her staff and a tome (said to be her tome of spells) is always in her hood. Children sometimes ask her about these items but when their parents are close their questions are quickly shushed as being rude. Every once in a while some child get’s close to the Widow when parents are out of shushing range, “Widow-lady, why do you carry the book and the staff?”

She replies with a wink, “I carry the staff because I need help walking and I carry the book just in case I need to fly.”

Old Ulney is heading towards a century of winters and the only information he’ll divulge is that she has years on him, maybe just a handful and maybe decades. He won’t say much more before falling into one of his naps.

She can often be seen on the porch of her inn, the Parlor (no doubt named so to play up the Black Widow mystique), rocking on her chair, humming a tune no one can name.

The townsfolk ascribe her age to her studying in a Wizard’s College when she was a girl. Seeing how her Inn’s windows and doors are always well locked with magic wards. Others say that it isn’t just magic that keeps her young but the fact that she studied in Ladymist, a city said to have been made by Dragons and populated with their children and kin, full of Wizards and fools.

When asked questions about Ladymist she will talk for a time about the city’s fine view and how Lair Sisters silently walking the market in the morning in their dark green habits. But she won’t let slip any real details of what she did there or when she did it.

The County Logs only state that the Inn has been in her family for almost nine generations and nothing more. Where her real name would be is only a family sigil, a stallion rampant above an open tome.

She likes this mystery, in small towns; she thinks this kind of mystery is healthy if it doesn’t become alienating. Too many townsfolk spend too many a winter’s night sipping her mulled cider and sitting by her fire for there to be any real anger at her oddities and peculiarities.

When the Ghouls demanded tribute, she spoke against it but when she was voted down, she kept good and quiet.

She piped up again when the Ghouls demanded that the townsfolk give over some children to keep with them as “honored guests.” I was one of those chosen to go ‘cause they were worried about my ma starting a stir.

Then one day the strangers came into town, down from Ladymist way, off of the Wedding Highway.

The Widow let the strangers stay in her inn when they arrived. She even aided them when they ambushed the Ghouls who entered the town square to take the latest offering to the Ghoul’s monthly toll.

Now there are soldiers from Ladymist all over in the town and it is said that the strangers are heralds from a Green Dragon who is claiming dominion over the entire Jade Forest. The Heralds proclaimed a Holy Soldier of Ulula Lord Knight over Deepmist. There are priests of Bahamut, Tiamat and Ulula debating religion in the Parlor in the evenings. It is like things are beginning to happen here again. It is like someone just started to write, “Once upon a time,” and I’m there to see it.

I spent my whole life living so long after Happily Ever After that it wasn’t even happy anymore.

The new Lord gathered the able-bodied men and women from many of the farms to burn the Ghoul’s bodies. The Green Heralds killed all of them, sent them to the Red Door to get their justice. May they rot there for what they did to my Pa and what they did to my friends and me.

When I sleep I can still hear the noises those bastards made when they ate.

The Strangers, the Green Heralds, rescued me. Three of them are little men. The Widow told me that the little people, Halflings, live in cities called Shires and houses with round doors that are built into hillsides. The Green Heralds only had one big person with them, a woman in full armor and carrying a hand and a half sword with a two handed grip.

I’d never seen a woman as big as my ma or me. She wasn’t scared and wasn’t trying to be a prissy girl either. I saw her fight and I wanted to be her. Her name is M’Randa, Lady M’Randa and she has some Orc blood in her. I didn’t mention it but you can tell if not by her shoulders than by the way some of her teeth stick out of her mouth like boar’s tusks.

The Green Heralds are leaving soon, heading south to Deeproot. I’m going with them as Lady M’Randa’s squire.

Ma isn’t real happy that I’m going but I think she knows why I have to go. I have a little brother who is old enough to work the billows and learn the trade. She cries when she sees me but she fixed up some armor with green scales to keep me safe. She hugs me so hard I can’t breathe.

Word has gone out through town and now I get whispered about as much as the Widow and feel a kinship with the old coot. Maybe some day I’ll own some dusty old inn with a sword over my mantle and people will wonder where I’ve been or what I’ve done. I think I’ll do just like the Widow does, all wry smiles half-answered questions.

The morning before we headed out the Widow gave me her staff,” You’ll need it more than me these days. A simple walking stick’ll do fine by me. I’ll have someone find me a nice stick.”

The staff has a Dragon taking flight along its half, carved into the wood so that the tail and wings spiral along the haft.

I stammered a thank you and finally, I my eyes got glassy at leaving my home. Here was the Widow, the living embodiment of all that’s interesting and mysterious in Deepmist and she’s treating me like a long lost niece. It is as if she felt that same kinship I felt.

“It is the staff that was given to Wizard’s apprentices in Ladymist, back in my day. I hope it serves you well. But tell me one thing young lady, why is it you want to go and be squire to this Green Knight, Lady M’Randa?”

I sniffed and cleared the tears from my cheeks, “Reckoned it was time to do some flying of my own.”

Attachments

• --Challenger Picture-- - Copy.jpg
    --Challenger Picture-- - Copy.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 302

Paka

Explorer
Supplemental Jade Forest Religions

Supplemental
Jade Forest Religions (so far)

Halfling Patron Saints -

Halflings in this world do not have organized religions as humans know it. There is a collection of Patron Saints to Hobbit-like ideas: Wine, Slings and Stealth, Family, Good Meals, etc. A Halfling might say a prayer to a Saint or even carry a little medallion with them to bring luck in this area but as of now, there isn't an organized church, per se.

A Halfing Priest is someone who knows the name and stories of all of the Saints, carrying medallions for all of them and as such is a Cleric in game terms. However, there isn't a Halfing Pope guy with a little hat and Cardinals and such (but it is a hysterical image) or there isn't an organized church.

Domains: Trickery, Good, Protection

God of the Golden Sun -

The God of the Golden Empire is a glaring and unforgiving God. In the current Golden Church this God's rise to glory is traced along with the slumbering Golden Dragon. It is said that the Gold put him on his fiery throne and the Golden Sun's wrath and fury come out in the Gold's Holy Breath.

The Priests of this religions were once a force to be reckoned with and churches to this God could be found in every corner of the Earth but the Church has seen a decline with the slumber of the Gold. The Clerics and Paladins have been shining up their armor, ready for the Gold's awakening.

Domains: Air, Protection, Sun, Fire

The Owl of Ulula -

A powerful Totem that keeps people safe from the Creatures of the Night. The Owl once had a powerful army for defending the innocent against such threats. Most nobles had a Cleric, Paladin or Monk from the Order of Ulula in their household but now the Clerics and Paladins are not the power they once were and the Monks are all but unknown.

Even today the Paladins and Clerics are brave and good, defending the weak from undead and Demonic threats and keeping the law; they just aren't as well known outside of the Jade Forest anymore.

Domains: Protection, Good, Healing, Law, Knowledge

Bahamut -

In a world where Dragons are the power behind nations, it only makes sense that Draconic Gods make their way into human homes. Bahamut is the fatherly diety of Dragonkind. He married Tiamat and their love and conflict made the universe.

His teachings speak of wisdom, harsh but fair justice and thinking beyond one's own generation in order to leave something for your kin.

His priests and paladins are known for dispensing justice and wisdom.

Domains: Law, Good, Strength, Fire

Tiamat -

Tiamat and her followers are more prone to battle rather than thought and diplomacy. She is prayed to not only in times of battle but in times of harvest and when the hearth needs protection. As befitting a Goddess with five heads, there are many different approaches to worshipping Tiamat from evil Dragon Cults to friendly elemental readings of her ideologies.

Her Priestess and Paladins are known for their martial prowess and fearless attacking in battle.

Domains: Earth, Destruction, Strength, Chaos, Earth, Fire, Air, Water,

King of the Fey -

Those who worship the King of the Fey do not worship the Faery on the throne as much as the crown and the throne and what they represent, mystery, intrigue, the changing of the seasons.

The King's Clerics and Paladins are many of the courtiers and knights of his the Seelie and Unseelie courts. They are not arranged into churches as much as political cliques. It is not a religion that humans easily understand and the Fey like it that way.

Domains: Law, Magic, Luck, Plant

Queen of the Fey -

The worship of the Queen is to make political games and mischief one's life. Like the King, the religion is not something that humans have an easy time understanding.

The Queen's Clerics are often seen as troublemakers and ne'er-do-wells in and out of the Elven Courts but their political advice is something that is treasured and feared.

Domains: Chaos, Trickery, Knowledge, Animal

Grummsh, He-Who-Never-Sleeps -

Most humans would say that Grumsh is an evil and angry God. Shamans of Grumsh would argue that those who judge Grummsh too harshly have never ahd to live the difficult life of an Orc. This life is difficult because Grummsh was tricked out of the Orc's rightful homeland during the creation of all things.

Shamans of Grummsh are angry and tough, leading the Orcish tribal leaders with their magicks and visions.

Domains: Evil, Chaos, Strength, War

Paka

Explorer
Letters Off of the Owl

Paladins and Clerics of Ulula sometimes deliver important messages just as their totem, the Owl, does. Your missives have crossed the Jade Forest and have finished their journeys in the saddlebags of a giant owl steed of Ulula.
“Green Heralds…missives for you…”

To: Deputy Thane Guardian Trumble Cloudwalker

{This letter is written on rough vellum, as can be found in the Shire in the rare occasions that something other than a recipe is written down. The handwriting is blocky and rushed, with some letters running down in a trail of ink.}

Dear Deputy,

I know the letter said that it was from your brother on the outside but, well, it is what is on the inside that counts.

It is too bad that you’re a Deputy now. There was this nimble little burgular named Thane Trumble and I liked him. Too bad a lawman named Deputy Thane Guardian Trumble Cloudwalker banished ole Thane Trumble and now walks in his clothes. Ah well.

I just wanted you to know that I busted out of your pathetic Hobbit jail cell. I didn’t have to hurt anybody to get out but I could’ve. I could pay your brother and his pretty bitch of a wife a call but I won’t. This is between us and no use getting the innocent family all into the mess us thieves get into. Fair’s fair, honor between thieves. You understand.

I am going to avenge my old friend, Thane Trumble. Get vengeance for what you’re doing to him and his memory.

I’d watch my back if I was you.

The higher your rise, the harder you’ll fall,

Gorum

To: Sheriff Dustin Overhill

{This letter is also written on the rough vellum of the Shire. The Mayor’s handwriting is simple with only the most occasional flourish on the G and the L of the words Green Lady, the S on the word Sheriff and on the M of the word Mayor.}

Dear Sheriff Dustin Overhill,

I hear from the Green Lady’s satyrs that you are doing well and this pleases me. The Shire is more or less how you left it.

As you might or might not know Gorum, the Dwarven thief from Sun City, escaped. We think he might have had help in his escape but we are unsure.

I have assigned Dave Hilltopple as a deputy to watch over the Shire while you go about your duties for the Green Lady. Some in the Shire grumble that your time should be spent seeing to the law in the Shire but these busybodies are quickly hushed.

There are regular patrols Halfling patrols all over the Shire. The mist might keep us hidden but it might not. I’ll take no chances.

I hope the big world is feeding you boys well. Scratch Kettle and Scraps for me.

Sincerely,

Mayor Jorren Overhill

To: M’Randa

{This letter is written on a delicate parchment with a slight green tint; the paper seems like it might fade away as it is almost transluscent but it is oddly durable, holding up even after weeks at the bottom of a saddlebag or chest. The handwriting is elegant, as if a hundred meanings are locked into every word, waiting to spring to life. It is odd to see such artful calligraphy draw such simple sentences.}

Dear M’Randa,

The Green Lady tells me that I can speak these words and she will take them and you will see them. I don’t understand how you will see them but I trust her so okay.

I live in Lair now, under the castle. I can fly around, really stretch my wings because the ceilings are so high.

The Lair Sisters are very nice. Sister Gyseld told me that Lair Sisters are not allowed to speak outside the Lair because they are afraid of giving away secrets. It is called the Oath of Silence.

The Lair was empty but there are many things in it now. Some of these things are magic. They are put in rooms and looked at by the Sisters, who tell me not to touch nothing. This is fine, I don’t want to touch these things anyway.

It is like having many many many mothers now. I never had mothers so this is fine.

I pray to Bahamut and Tiamat every day. I pray for you too.

If you came to the Lair I could fly you around because my wings are strong. That would be fun.

Grat Lair-Guardian

To: Master Randall Tisgood, Herald and Diplomat of the Green Lady

{Magus Smalgus’ letter is written on fine vellum. His handwriting is bold without being over-bearing and elegant without any unnecessary artifice. The letter is sealed with a the sigil of his signet ring, a Dragon’s claw holding a scroll, pressed into the wax.}

Dear Master Tisgood,

I found your company and your tales delightful and sincerely hope that wherever my Sanctum might be in the tumultuous days ahead, your tales are welcomed.

The Finescale College is still raving about your fine Draconic balladeering. It has been a long while since a Bard from the Silver Lands graced our halls.

As you travel south you will see the Oath Lake. It is a salt lake and its mud is said to have many purifying qualities when applied to the skin. When the Lords and Ladies of our land want to swear a powerful oath, they do so while floating on this lake and afterwards bathe in it with their fellow oathswearers.

To break an Oath sworn in or around this lake is said to be a terrible thing, indeed.

Please accept this letter of introduction to my student who resides in Deeproot. I am not sure how he looks upon me, his former Master, but I hope he at least learned manners from his time under my tutelage, if nothing else.

It is my sincerest hope that your Fellowship has safe travels in its future travels. We shall meet again, no doubt, when the Lords and Ladies of the Jade Forest to swear allegiance to Green Lady. It will be interesting to have the entire family in one place again. How I’ve missed them.

Safe Journeys,

Magus Smalgus Finescale
Head Wizard of the Finescale College of Arcane Arts
Summoner of the Seventh Circle and Banisher of the Ninth Circle

Paka

Explorer
Chapter III Wyvern Smoke or Dragon Smoke

Chapter III
Wyvern Smoke or Dragon Smoke

Mayor Joren Overill is stout, even by Halfling standards. Since his ascension from the youngest member of the Pipe Council (only 64 years) to Mayor of Hightree Shire, his belt has only gotten tighter as his belly has gotten larger.

He is sitting in the study of his Hobbit Hole and it is late at night. His wife went to sleep long ago; she could tell this was one of her husband’s restless nights. One of those nights when he goes into that shelf in his desk with the obvious false bottom and would take out that horrid yellowed bone pipe of his, rather than the fine maple Hobbit pipe given by her father on their wedding day. She hates that bone pipe. It has the face of a Dragon carved into it and when Joren puffs on it, as he will no doubt soon do, smoke will come from its mouth.

Dragons are trouble and she would know.

He won’t quite go into the cellar to get his dusty old travel cloak nor take the short sword from above the fireplace but he’ll have to fight the strong urge.

Joren loves the old pipe. He hides it in a secret compartment in his desk, so his wife won’t find it and accidentally throw it away or give it to a niece or nephew as a gift. He knows that she hates the pipe as it is a vivid symbol, more than the battered short sword above the hearth, of their time away from the Shire. He loves to revel in that time of new smells, dirt, weariness, conflict and adventure.

Mandy Overhill prefers the past to be left in the past.

A new log is on the fire, tea is stoking in the nearby pot and the pipe is stuffed with good Court Shire Leaf. Best of all a letter from his nephew, Sheriff Dustin Overhill of Hightree Shire, is on his lap, letter as of yet unread, wax seal unbroken.

It is these moments of quiet and simple joy that Jorren enjoys most these days, now that his life is seeing to the well being of the Shire.

Jorren thinks on how he will pour the tea, light the pipe and open the letter, each action making the next even more fine.

“Cozy in here, Joren. You’re doing well for yourself,” it is a silky voice from the windowsill.

Joren sits up, jarred by the intrusion, thinks of his sword in two steps and a reach distance but settles back down again, thinking better of it, “Well, the Witch’s Familiar pays the Mayor a visit, hm? Aren’t you supposed to be jet black with green teeth?”

Priscilla, white bellied tiger striped cat that she is stretches out in front of his fire, purring at the comfort, “You know better than that, Master Mayor. My lady thought that too many Shire tongues would wag if she were to pay you a visit personally. Sorceress visits Mayor of Hightree Shire, positively scandalous!”

Equilibrium upset, Joren lights his pipe and lets out an amused harrumph, “They never call her a Sorceress, they merely refer to her as the Witch. And I am sure that the fact that I am…” and the Mayor let’s out a sniffle, “allergic to you had nothing to do with Alicia’s decision.”

“She wishes you no discomfort,” Priscilla says as her tail swishes back and forth as if the Mayor weren’t a stout Hobbit but a mouse to be toyed with, “but she is concerned and doesn’t hear much news. You still have that pipe after all these years, that hideous Dragon pipe-“

“It is a Wyvern. One can tell by the tell-tale ridges on the head.”

The familiar merely closes her eyes and purrs at this.

“What is it you want again? I was about to enjoy my fine nephew’s letter.”

“It is because of your nephew that I’m here. He is still out in the Jade Forest, then? Traipsing with the criminal?”

“He is still abroad and yes, he is with his Deputy. Deputy Thane. Thane Trumble.”

Thane Trumble. No name in the Shire besides that of the Witch herself could cause the Hobbit elders to let out snorts of derision like the name Thane Trumble. Wanderer. City-goer. Convicted Thief. Orc-Slayer. Ne’er do-well. Worst of all: Adventurer, “Thane is a fine traveling companion for a young man of Dustin’s demeanor.”

“Dustin’s demeanor? You mean naïve as an Orc is mean? The Shire is a different place since those two found and hatched that Green Dragon’s egg on the North Road.”

“Different for the better,” Jorren says with a stab in the air with his pipe for emphasis.

“Don’t let the Pipe Council hear you say that. They’ll say that some outland stink has been left on you from your reckless adventuring days,” and the cat looks up and makes eye contact with Jorren, “Different is different. The Witch was wondering what happened to the prisoner your son brought in with Thane after their visit to Sun City.”

“Gorum, the Clanless,” and Jorren rubs his eyes. When the hatchling was but a few days old, Dustin and Thane ventured west to Sun City, capitol of the Golden Empire. They discussed terms with Senator Liam Scorjoy and discovered his plans to use the Jade Forest as clear cut logging so the Golden Legions might make naval war with the Red Dynasty to the west.

Thane and Dustin were wise and got away with their lives. They also managed to get word of Liam’s plans for the Jade Forest to the Elven community in Sun. This managed to stall the Senate for a few months, allowing the Jade Forest to marshal its forces.

They returned with Gorum, a clanless Dwarven Rogue, who had worked with Thane in his less reputable days. Upon hearing of Gorum’s plan to turn them both in to the Gold Legions, the Sheriff and Deputy made their first arrest.

A few weeks after they departed, adventuring in the Jade Forest, Gorum had escaped.

His whereabouts are unknown.

“He tired of our fine hospitality. That is all that is known. If the Witch of Hightree wishes to aid in finding this lawbreaker that would be-”

“She has failed to find him, as have I. We believe he had aid,” and with the conversation switching from fun banter to more serious topics, the cat leaves the sleepy hearth and sits up on a nearby cushioned footstool.

“I agree with your assessments. My nephew believes he will seek him out and will make a mistake in the city. He suggested that we waste no more time looking for him,”

“Hm, there might be hope for that boy yet. Mayhaps he is not as naïve as we think.”

Jorren can’t help a smile at that, “The road is a good teacher. I am glad that he is well. His adventures are far different from ours. He operates on an entirely different scale. His life-“

Not for the first time this night, Priscilla interrupts, just as her mistress would, “-will be a hundred times more complicated and dangerous than yours was.”

Puff, puff, puff the Wyvern or the Dragon’s mouth oozes smoke, “His quest is far more complicated and dangerous than finding a cure for the Night’s Venom going through Kaily Goodbelly’s veins. When the time comes he can still settle down, see to his Sheriff-ly duties and find a wife.”

Cats can smile. Priscilla grins, “As his uncle did, lo those many years ago.”

“As his uncle did, not SO long ago, I think,” and the Familiar and the Mayor share a moment. They each take something very different from the air of that moment but it is shared none the less.

The Mayor begins to sniffle. He wipes his nose with a nearby kerchief and pours his tea, “It is the Golden Empire to the west that worries your mistress, neh?”

“My mistress is worried that the Shire could take the worst part of any war between the Jade Forest and the Golden Empire. Meddling in the affairs of Dragons is serious and dangerous business.”

Smoke comes out of Jorren’s nose as he is lectured by a cat of all things. His nostrils flare, “I know perfectly well about the affairs of Dragons, you little-“

Absent-mindedly, Priscilla begins to lick her paw and rub it against her ear, “Your wife does. She remembers. You would rather romanticize it all as if you were a hero in a storybook. The Witch of Hightree is merely worried that her Mayor is allowing events that will soon, if not already, be beyond his control in an attempt to once again touch that storybook world.

But if Happily Ever After seem beyond your reach, please know that we will help the Shire in any way we can, despite how we are viewed and treated hereabouts.”

Jorren sighs and sits up, “Pris, don’t be silly. Alicia could come back any time she wanted to. They were harsher to her than to me because-“

The cat’s green eyes narrow to jade arrow slits, "-because you came home and washed the outland stink off of you with a marriage and Alicia went abroad to hone her skills. You came home and let everything go on as it had been and when Alicia suggested that some things change, she was nearly run out of town on a rail. You-“

“Enough, cat. Tell your mistress that patrols surround the Shire and the Green Lady has breathed a mist over Hightree that should hide us for a time. Tell her that her offer is accepted and if we find ourselves in need, our pride will not be too great to ask for her wise counsel and aid.

Thank ye kindly.”

Quickly as she arrived, Priscilla made her way out the window, “Give Mandy our best regards.”

Jorren Overhill just slouches in his chair, feeling old. He puts out his pipe and cleans it, placing it back in its special place in his desk. He sees that the fire was safe and puts away the tea.

He is always quiet but still his wife wakes up when he enters the bedroom, “Did you remember to put away that Dragon pipe?”

“It is a Wyvern, dear,” and after removing his slippers, “Yes, I put it back.”

“Were you talking to someone, Jor?”

“Yes, dear, Alicia’s cat showed up.”

Mandy Overhill lets out a sleep-slurred uh-huh, “Everthing okay?”

“Right as pie, my dear,” Joren is awake for a long time, staring at the ceiling, listening to the night’s noises. He can never tell if Mandy is asleep by her breathing as she can tell by his.

The still night is broken by, “Do you regret your decision, Jorren?”

Jorren turns and looks at the lump in the covers made by his wife, “I only regret that we can’t return to the Shire triumphant from our quest every day at dusk, so that I might make that decision every time the sun sets.”

“Hm, that’s nice. Sleep.”

Jorren Overhill falls into a deep slumber and only as he begins to dream of road dust and talking cats does he realize that his nephew’s letter is still sitting on his armchair, wax seal untouched, missive unread.

Paka

Explorer
Chapter IV - A Little About the Lady

Chapter IV
A Little About the Lady

Ladymist is what happens when a Dragon builds a city for her children. It is called the Lady or the City of Lairs.

Ladymist is a city hewn from a mountain into the shape of a step pyramid, one borough to each step. Waterfalls conjure mist into the streets. In spring mountain foliage makes a canopy over the cobblestone streets and in the winter the waterfalls freeze into ten story crystal sculptures.

Lair Sisters, in their green habits, silently make their way through the market-place, bargaining in sign language or on small chalk boards. Balladeers sing epic Draconic poetry that can take days to completely recite. Gentlemen and ladies stroll through the Jade Aerie with their exotic birds on their shoulder or arm.

In the Half-Orc ghetto, the children duel with wooden knives. Any adults with goblin blood aren’t allowed to walk the streets out of their borough in groups larger than three. It is called the Horde Law, from a time when Goblins, Orcs, Ogres and Trolls spilled out of the forest and laid siege to the Lady.

During festivals cres paper puppet heroes hunt wooden vampires or trolls through the streets. When the creatures are caught, inevitably in a square next to a dried out fountain, the puppets engage in duels. Red candy spills from any wounds inflicted into the delighted hands and mouths of Ladyfolk children.

The Ladyfolk, as the city-born are called, would never dream of living anywhere else.

Paka

Explorer
One of Randall's Songs

A song is sweeping through Ladymist taverns. Students of Finescale Arcanna sing it after their examinations, Half-Orcs sing it around streetcorner braziers, even some expensive Bards strum it on the Elven Step (with only a verse or two touched up here and there):

My friend's quite a pisser,
He's a wizard, yessir.
He can drink for hours
Without using his powers,
He's my friend the Necromancer!

[Chorus]
Oh! The long walk t'home
With a skull and a bone
He makes it so much faster
'Cause he's my friend the Necromancer!
My friend the Necromancer!

When I'm barfing my guts,
By the east village huts,

And coming 's the dawn of a day,
My friend finds me a way
By enchanting my turkey butt!

[Chorus]
Oh! The long walk t'home
With a skull and a bone
He makes it so much faster
'Cause he's my friend the Necromancer!
My friend the Necromancer!

Yes my friend the nec-ro-man-cer sir...

Rumor has it, Randal Tisgood, Green Herald, originally composed the song and its tune, a strange melange of Hobbit simplicity and Elven arrangement, seems to confirm this. Before singing the bawdy rhyme, Bards often tell the tale of the Green Herald's adventure through Deeproot that left the city with new Gods.

[Thanks to Mario, player of Randal Tisgood, for the wonderful song.]

Paka

Explorer
Chapter V - Twilight

Chapter V - Twilight

Kachelka’s grandmother used to tell her about the ocean. She’d talk about swimming down to great undersea kingdoms illuminated by domesticated fish with lanterns on their heads. Grandma would talk about fighting under the sea and how different it was.

“We were the Troll shock troops of the Deep Ones. We fought in wars the sun’ll never see, on battlefields no human will walk over till oceans dry up. Fetch me some more chowder, dear, and I’ll tell you more.”

Kachelka always did fetch more chowder.

Grandma used to say how Sea Trolls were the truer of the Troll breeds, “Trolls have always laired on, in, near bridges. Realize the power of in-between places. We Sea Trolls live in sea, on land, in between two worlds.

In between, always in between with us. Value between places, child. Twilight lands, that line between sea and horizon.”

Her mother hated such talk, “No breed of Troll is higher than any other, foolish talk. Two-heads think they are better than the one heads and the Land Trolls think they are better than the Sea Trolls and the Black Trolls think they are better than all of them.

Nonsense talk only leads to trouble.”

But Kachelka likes that idea, that her people are a special people.

Kachelka Blackmason, Yukeni Underkill, Venoq Bridgeclaw and Betan Deepmason, trained Monks, walk to the city of Ladymist to pledge as lifelong guards for the Green Lady as stated when the Bridge Guild swore fealty.

Among the four, she is the only Sea Troll, the other three are all Land Trolls, or as her grandmother would call them, Mud Trolls.

They stand on a hilltop, looking at Ladymist at dusk. They can see the torches and lanterns being lit, cooking fires giving off smoke all over the city.

Yukeni is the quietest and the eldest of them. Her family’s fury is well known. The Underkills were known for fighting dirty and when someone is known for fighting dirty among Orcs, Trolls and Goblins you know it is more than just the occasional head-butt or a casual elbow to the throat or even a rusty knife in a fistfight.

The Underkills defend their bridge with unusual zeal. Once a wanderer tried to cross the bridge when a throng of merchants was crossing without paying the toll, just strolled by casually without paying the three silver. Three silver coins were taken out of his bag. He watched while the Orcish blacksmith fashioned the coins into three nails.

What was done with those nails after they were fashioned is now a subject of disgusting myth among the Bridge Guilders.

Yukeni Underkill needs to be watched. She isn’t prone to loud rages like Venoq or the mug half empty philosophy of Betan. Kachelka found her dangerous, exciting, but still dangerous. She always kept an eye on her.

Kachelka Deepmason, somewhere on the journey here, was silently elected leader. She has that way about her: when she talks others listen. Kachelka grunts and points one of her green fingers and its long, sharp nails at the city, “Fires.”

The others nod and grunt in ascent and she continues, “Sometimes in nasty weather mother let’s a human stay in the bridge. I hear stories. They say things like, ‘Oh, it is so clean in here. I thought it would be different, like a dungeon.’”

The four chuckle, “They think we eat billy goats or something. They think we barbarians.”

Nods.

Their leader continues, “Humans have stories about going into underground and fighting Orcs or Goblins. Finding treasure, being heroes,” she points to the city, “Our dungeon. Filled with enemies-“

Venoq, always funning, roars, “-and filled with treasures too.”

More chuckles.

“Our days of pillage this, pillage that well over. Now our families run bridges. Now we serve the Green Lady, bodyguards.”

Betan, always fuming, snorts, “Bodyguards, if she doesn’t put as guarding lair doorway to nothing ‘cause Troll guards belong in dungeons, not seen in public.”

Kachelka shakes her hear, scratched her fin ears, “Maybe. Maybe the Green Lady will waste us and we spend this whole life guarding a door. Maybe.”

But remember who her first knight is. Before nobles from all cities she knighted M’Randa. She knighted a Half-Orc warrior. Lady M’Randa, they call her. Maybe our Lady has no care for human opinion. Maybe Dragons are better than that.”

The ladies want to believe. The only sound is their breathing while they consider a life more noble than that of a monster under a bridge.

Sensing that she almost has them, Kachelka continues, “Who will keep her safer than us? Who better? Stronger than a Troll woman? Tougher than us with family spirits watching? War-wiser after our training?”

Nods all around, even Betan.

“No one is better for guard a young Green Dragon with many enemies. If she put us in some dungeon room, far from her, than we know all about Green Lady foolery.

Forget doubt. We get there first. First we get to her Lair.

Look at those fires. Many humans. Let’s look at your dungeon, plan our attack.”

Venoq smiles, crooked and sharp, “Pretend we are human men and the Green Lady is some kidnapped princess with gold hair and jade eyes, ‘Oh, save me, dragon take me. I no fight.”

Laughs erupt into full on snorts, Betan brays like a donkey at the thought of the helpless human princess.

Kachelka lets the laugh do its work, “Can’t go in together. Horde Law. Four Trolls can’t walk the streets together. Fear.

We will split, two and two. Venoq, you and Betan go to East Gate. Yukeni and me go in West Gate. We meet you at top of the city; then we meet the Green Lady.

We are in between. Old home with family’s Guild and new home with Dragon, Green Lady. Jade Forest is between itself and Golden Empire. Important time, like my Grandma always said. This is a bridge too, like our old home. Gods made Trolls for bridges, this kind of time, twilight time.”

Paka

Explorer
Lady M'Randa's Winter Missive

Green Knight,
I wanted to send a goblin courier. He could yell the message so that you would know its power. My husband says that we are part of the Jade Empire now and here we write.

When it comes to circumstances outside from my Bridge, I listen to my husband.

My daughter's name is my name, Kachelka, and she will soon be in Ladymist to serve the Green Lady. I hope you two will meet. She needs to know you.

I write for a reason but the ink is doing not what I want it to and now the letter is in wrong direction.

Here. I want you to be Champion of the Longdrop Bridge. You would answer any challenges to that Bridge's Honor, defend it in times of seige and leads its Orcish troops in times of war. Longdrop Bridge would always welcome you, feed your horse and you and your Squire and be a safe place for you.

Bridge mistresses meet and talk about this. We fought. We decided this.

I hope you accept and be Champion.

We are proud of what you have done.

Do more yet.

Kachelka Blackmason
Trollmother of Highbridge

Paka

Explorer
Lady M'Randa's Response

To: Kachelka Blackmason, Highbridge Trollmother
From: Lady M'randda Green, Knight of the Green Lady, servant of the Jade Empire

via courier

My Mistress Blackmason,

Me apologies for not writing sooner. Circumstances like me journey to Ladymist and duties there added to delay of me writing to you. Me not weild pen so well so me squire, she writing this down for me and fixing me sentences, but it all me own words, you can be sure of that.

As i say this me must apo--apo-lo-gize for bad treatment of Younger Kachelka when she come to Ladymist to serve with honor the Green Lady. We not realize her arrival till assault by Green Watch. Me tell you offender was executed and such thing not ever happen again while me here.

Me would be honored to take on the offer so graciously bestowed by you [above syntax supplied by Squire Smith] as Champion of Longdrop Bridge. Me would like nothing better than to defend and prevent attack on your com-community. Now that you recognize and swear to the Green Lady you feal-ty i can accept. Understand that my first re-spon-si-bil-ity is to the safety of my Lady and my heralds. But that after that you have my sword and my fight for you I will. You show me much kindness and I know the tales of our shared story of the past. It is very important that i have you trust and that you show my little friends there are 3 and our priests and allies the same safety when they come near.

Me hope to make visit soon to formal-lize this pact. Me hope you husband and son is good, and that you son is studying hard and doing good work for future of Green Lady.

Yours in alliegance,
M'randda, Knight of the Green Lady

Remove ads