Pseudo-undead

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
PSEUDO-UNDEAD (template)

Pseudo-undead are humanoids that have evolved to appear physically similar to undead creatures. To all of the normal five senses, these beings appear to be the undead creature they resemble. They behave in the same manner as undead, and are moderately dangerous to those unprepared. These beings are not actually undead, do not have the powers of undead, and do not associate with true undead. They are never met in the day, as despite the fact that sunlight does not harm them, they find it intolerable all the same.
These humanoids benefit from a deception that makes other beings frightened of them, for powers that they do not have. They are also safe from clerical turning, as well as any magic designed to work against undead, and they have no connection to the Negative Energy plane. They are often found working among evil humans and humanoids, where they interbreed and add to the general menace of groups of evil characters such as bandits.

CREATING A PSEUDO-UNDEAD
"Pseudo-undead" is a template that can be added to any undead creature with an Intelligence score of 4 or more (referred to hereafter as the "base creature"). The creature's type changes to "humanoid." It uses all the base creature's statistics except as noted here. All supernatural powers are lost, and some extraordinary powers are lost as well.
The most common types of pseudo-undead are pseudo-ghouls, ghasts, wights, wraiths, specters, and vampires. Note that due to body construction, some types of undead are not well suited to be used as pseudo-undead. Undead types with a greatly decomposed or rotten appearance (lich, mohrg) or a very alien form (allip, bodak, devourer, nightshade) may not be very suitable as pseudo-undead creatures.

Hit Dice: Decrease to d8. The creature gains bonus hit points from its Constitution score.
Speed: Same as the base creature. If the base creature could fly, its flight speed is lost, and the creature appears to be flying when it walks.
AC: Same as the base creature. If the base creature was incorporeal, its deflection bonus is doubled and transferred to natural armor.
Attacks: Same as the base creature. If the base creature had an incorporeal touch, this becomes a slam attack that causes the same amount of damage. Pseudo-undead may use weapons, but usually do not, to maintain their deception of being undead.
Damage: Same as the base creature.
Special Attacks: All supernatural attacks and some extraordinary attacks are lost (including paralysis, create spawn, energy drain or ability drain).
Pseudovampires have the blood drain ability, but the Constitution damage is temporary instead of permanent. Psuedoghasts retain their stench attack.
Special Qualities: All supernatural qualities and some extraordinary qualities are lost (including spell resistance, damage reduction, turn resistance, unnatural aura, and the undead and incorporeal type modifiers). The creature retains darkvision at 60 ft.
Abilities: Same as the base creature. The creature gains a Constitution score, which is 10 + its HD. If the base creature was incorporeal, it gains a Strength score, which is 10 + 1/2 its HD.
Skills: A pseudo-undead has 6 skill points, plus its Intelligence modifier, plus 1 skill point per extra Hit Die. Treat skills from the base creature's list as class skills and other skills as cross-class. If the creature has a class, it gains skills for class levels normally. The creature retains any racial bonus to skills that the base creature had.
Feats: Pseudo-undead have one feat for every four levels or the base creature's total of feats, whichever is greater. The creature retains any bonus feats that the base creature had.

Climate/Terrain: Any land and underground
Organization: Same as the base creature.
Challenge Rating: 1/2 of the base creature, rounding down.
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Always neutral evil
Advancement: Same as the base creature, or by character class.

SAMPLE PSEUDO-UNDEAD
This example uses a standard wight as the base creature.

PSEUDOWIGHT
Medium-Size Humanoid (Pseudo-undead)
Hit Dice: 4d8+8 (26 hp)
Initiative: +1 (Dex)
Speed: 30 ft
AC: 15 (+1 Dex, +4 natural)
Attacks: Slam +4
Damage: Slam 1d4+1
Face/Reach: 5 ft by 5 ft/5 ft
Special Qualities: Darkness 60 ft
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +5, Will +2
Abilities: Str 12, Dex 12, Con 14, Int 11, Wis 13, Cha 15
Skills: Hide +4, Listen +4, Move Silently +9, Spot +4
Feats: Alertness, Blind-Fight

Climate/Terrain: Any land and underground
Organization: Solitary, gang (2-5), or pack (6-11)
Challenge Rating: 1
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Always neutral evil
Advancement: 5-8 HD (Medium-size) or by character class

Pseudowights appear identical to actual wights, having the same sort of twisted, wild appearance.

COMBAT
Pseudowights hammer with their fists, using their appearance to frighten opponents into backing down, for fear of energy drain.

Skills: Pseudowights receive a +8 racial bonus to Move Silently checks.

Pseudo-undead first appeared in Monster Manual II (1983).

Krishnath

First Post
Aw, this is just so nasty :D I can see it now:
PC (Cleric): What do you mean 'I fail to turn the wights'?
DM (me) Just as I said, you fail to turn the Wights.
PC (cleric): But I'm 14th level, they should be ashes.
DM (me): well, they're not.
PseudoWight with fighter levels cleaves the party.
DM (me) Smiles wickedly.
:D

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Re: Wow?

Ferret said:
Is this aplicable to Undead? 'Cos I swear a Wight is isn't it?

re-read the description for the template - that should answer all of your questions. ;)

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
danke schoen :)

these things were a natural for template! in fact, they basically were the 1e version of the "template" idea: no actual stats for the individual pseudo-undead creatures, just guidelines on how to make em! this conversion was actually one of the easiest i ever did.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases