Alt. Ranger Forum to End All Forums

Ront-Keelar

First Post
I hope I am not posting here too early. . . But I figured my lurking days should end with the new boards.

Anyway, with all the debate and flaming and hub-bub about the ranger class and with the seemingly infinite versions of this class out there - I thought we could make an effort to dissect and compare all these versions one at a time - not in an attempt to say one is better than the other (though obviously some have more thought put in them than others) - but to provide players and DMs out there with a single place to look at the numbers for themselves and come to a decision.

So, this is what I propose. We begin with one alternate ranger at a time.

We start first with how it is presented in the 3E Player's Handbook - this we are all very familiar with.

Then someone puts up the stats for the alt.ranger that first popped up. We break that one down and compare it to the first.

Then we put up Monte Cook's version (which I could not find today but I know it is out there somewhere), compare that to the first and then to the second.

And so, on. . . .

I say we start with these three well-known versions before people start posting more obscure versions from the web. . .and then later we can even compare it with other d20 similar classes.

So, what do you say? Who wants to start us off. . . Will it have to be me?

The 3E version of the Ranger Class. . .

Ront-Keelar

First Post
The Core Rules Ranger Class

d10 hit die

Fort Save Good.

BAB: +1 / level

Skill Points: 4 / level

# of Class Skills: 19

Weapons & Armor: Light, Medium Armor, SHields, All simple & martial weapons.

Track Feat for Free

Virtual Feats (as long in light or no armor): Ambidexterity & Two-Weapon Fighting

Favored Enemy (+1 to damage per five levels it has been your favored enemy, add one favored enemy every five levels).

Spells (at 4th level)

Horacio

LostInBrittany
Supporter
Not!!!!

Please, not!!!

No more alt.ranger!!!

At least,
not here, please, take it to the Rules or House Rules forum...

:D

LightPhoenix

First Post
I disagree, I don't believe this is a House Rules post. He's not proposing any new Ranger variants yet, just looking analyzing all of them. Geez, it'll take forever just to get through all of the alt.rangers.

No, this definitely belongs either here or possibly in DnD Rules, but not in House Rules.

As for the actual topic...

Well, at first glance the Ranger is top-heavy. However, individual analysis of each ability might provide more information.

A Ranger's spells are a nice addition, until you realize that almost every spell is able to be cast by a Wizard or Druid of lesser level. Even Polymorph Self, which I consider to be the Ranger's most useful spell, is able to be used by a Wizard at 7th level. (And oddly, as an aside, Rangers get PS, but not Druids... even though Druids get Shapechange). A Ranger's spell do little but to complement their fighting prowess... a similar effect could be obtained by a Fighter/Druid or Fighter/Sorcerer.

Skills - perhaps the best part of being a Ranger. Four skill points is more than Fighter and Paladin, and the sheer number of class skills (20 by my count) allows them much more flexibility than the Barbarian. Only the Monk comes close to this sort of variety for a combat-oriented class. However, unless you're planning on completely ignoring the free Track feat, you lose one of those points to keeping Wilderness Lore maxed.

Track - A nice little bonus, but nothing special per se - Fighters get a free feat at first level, and they get to choose what it is. However Fighters don't have WL as a class skill, making Track a less desirable feat. Barbarians and Druids both have WL as a class skill, but both have to spend a valuable feat on Track.

Virtual Feats - Getting these feats near free makes the Ranger without a doubt the best two-weapon fighter early in the game. If Rangers are going to be sneaking about, they're not going to want to be in heavy armor, so in essence these are free. The problem is that they're both gained at first level, making it really tempting to take a level just for them (and would solve the problem of a Barb/Druid needing to spend a feat on Track). However, once your Fighter gets a few levels on him, he turns into a much more efficient two-weapon fighter. Additionally, Rangers can't use double weapons with their virtual feats (especially the quarterstaff, which I find ludicrous). Fighters can.

Favored Enemy is a good solid ability - name any other ability that allows for a +5 to damage, as well as five different skills. There are three major problems I find (read: opinion) with this however.

- First, while a +4 or +5 is great, the +1 you get for your fifth favored enemy is quite underpowered for a 20th level ability. The counter arguement is that you actually get +5 - +1 to five different groups. My problem with this, and YMMV, is while you do gain more as you go up in levels, everything is contingent on that first selection you made way back at level 1. You're locked into whatever you chose, and if you want to choose to focus on dragons when you reach 15th level, you're stuck with only a +2 bonus, even if dragons have become the bane of your existence.

- Second, there are a number of creature types for whom the damage bonus and skills won't work against - try Bluffing an ooze, or sensing the motives of a construct. This ties into...

- Lastly, this ability is completely dependant on the DM throwing these types of creatures at you. Unlike most other skills, you can be completely screwed if you don't face any of your Favored Enemies. A spellcaster can pick and choose what spells to throw, and many aren't contingent on what you're facing. A paladin always can Lay on Hands, and always gets their Divine Grace. A Fighter can always depend on his bonus feats. A Ranger can say no such thing about his Favored Enemy.

I think that about covers it for the Core Ranger. Looking forward to people's opinions.

LightPhoenix

JRRNeiklot

First Post
Here's the version I posted on the House Rules forum of the old boards. I may remove the haste and true strike spells, as I think they make it a bit too powerful, and I'm not sure if the spells known and spells per day tables are balanced, so it's still a work in progress. Thoughts?

Ranger

Alignment: Any good.
Hit Die: d10.
Class Skills: The ranger's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Animal Empathy (Cha, exclusive skill), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Heal (Wis), Hide (Dex), Intuit Direction (Wis), Jump (Str), Knowledge (nature + local+geography+geology) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Search (Int), Sense Motive(Wis), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), Use Rope (Dex), and Wilderness Lore (Wis).

Skill Points at 1st. level: (4 + Int. modifier)x4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int. modifier.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A ranger is proficient with all simple and martial weapons and light armor.

TABLE: The Ranger
Base Fort Ref Will
Level Attack Bonus Save Save Save Special
----- ------------ ---- ---- ---- -------
1 +1 +2 +0 +0 Track, favored enemy +1/+1d6
Skill Focus (Wilderness lore)
2 +2 +3 +0 +0 Endurance
3 +3 +3 +1 +1
4 +4 +4 +1 +1
5 +5 +4 +1 +1 favored enemy +2/+2d6
6 +6/+1 +5 +2 +2
7 +7/+2 +5 +2 +2
8 +8/+3 +6 +2 +2
9 +9/+4 +6 +3 +3
10 +10/+5 +7 +3 +3 Greater skill focus
favored enemy +3/+3d6
11 +11/+6/+1 +7 +3 +3
12 +12/+7/+2 +8 +4 +4
13 +13/+8/+3 +8 +4 +4
14 +14/+9/+4 +9 +4 +4
15 +15/+10/+5 +9 +5 +5 favored enemy +4/+4d6
16 +16/+11/+6/+1 +10 +5 +5
17 +17/+12/+7/+2 +10 +5 +5
18 +18/+13/+8/+3 +11 +6 +6
19 +19/+14/+9/+4 +11 +6 +6
20 +20/+15/+10/+5 +12 +6 +6 favored enemy +5/+5d6

The the ranger benefits from an increased base speed of +10 ft. while wearing light or no armor (this bonus stacks with other speed bonuses, such as those gained from the barbarian or monk classes).

Track: A ranger gains Track as a bonus feat.

Favored Enemy: At 1st level, a ranger may select a type of creature as a favored enemy. Due to his extensive study of his foes and training in the proper techniques for combating them, the favored enemy bonus applies to ALL relevent checks against the chosen creature type.
The bonus also applies to attack rolls versus the favored enemy. The bonus to damage is handled differently however. The first favored enemy bonus looks like this¡K +1/+1d6, at 5th level this bonus becomes +2/+2d6. A ranger also gets the attack and damage bonus with ranged weapons, but only against targets within 30 feet (the ranger cannot strike with deadly accuracy beyond that range).
The bonus doesn't apply to damage against creatures that are immune to critical hits.
Table: Ranger Favored Enemies :

Aberrations
Animals
Beasts
Constructs
Dragons
Elementals
Fey
Giants
Humanoid type
Magical beasts
Oozes
Organization (example: The Cult of the Dragon)
Outsider type
Plants
Shapechangers
Undead
Vermin

Rangers may not select "humanoid" or "outsider" as a favored enemy, but they may select a more narrowly defined type of humanoid or outsider. A ranger can only select his own race as a favored enemy if he is evil, or if his own race is encompassed by the chosen organization.

Spells: Beginning at 4th level, a ranger gains the ability to cast a small number of divine spells. To cast a spell, the ranger must have a Wisdom score of at least 10 + the spell's level. Ranger bonus spells are based on Wisdom, and saving throws against these spells have a Difficulty Class of 10 + spell level + Wisdom modifier. A ranger chooses and casts spells just as a sorceror does. Through 3rd level, a ranger has no caster level. Starting at 4th level, a ranger's caster level is one-half his class level.

TABLE: Ranger Spells Known
---Spells known--
Level 1 2 3 4
----- - - - -
1 ¡X ¡X ¡X ¡X
2 ¡X ¡X ¡X ¡X
3 ¡X ¡X ¡X ¡X
4 2 ¡X ¡X ¡X
5 2 ¡X ¡X ¡X
6 2 ¡X ¡X ¡X
7 2 ¡X ¡X ¡X
8 3 1 ¡X ¡X