Suggestion for PC, Nemm & anyone else with a Story Hour

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Might be worth copy & pasting it over now while things are quiet. It'll be a good time to trim out some of the extraneous commentary, too.

Re. thread length: I'm gonna have to ask you to keep them to 200 posts for now. Could mods in that forum be especially vigilant and split any threads that hit the 200+ post mark?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
That should be OK, Billy. As long as the whole of EN World isn't trying to do it at the same time, I foresee no major problems. System might be a tad slow as it's running UBB at the same time right now.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Is there a way to bring in threads, other than by cutting and pasting every single post?

I'll attack my story hour tonight. Does anyone want to volunteer to bring in the last section of NeMoren's Vault? That way when we start, it'll be all set.

TEST:

Attachments

• eric's grandmother v2.jpg
    eric's grandmother v2.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 457
  • clath defiant stats.png
    clath defiant stats.png
    21.1 KB · Views: 424
Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Piratecat said:
Is there a way to bring in threads, other than by cutting and pasting every single post?

'Fraid not. The import function is buggy (it's not officially supported - it's just a hack that someone wrote).

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Piratecat said:
Well, you can hit "Reply" and then cut-and-paste them all at once - an entire page, that is. For that, go the scrollable window at the bottom of the "Reply" page, select the first letters from the first post, scroll down (or hit "end"), and hold "shift" while selecting the last part of the page. And then copy (with ctrl-c, presumably) the entire page into, say, a WinWord document. (If your computer can take it, that is. ;)) Then, convert the tables to plain text for ease of use (when converting, tell Word to use Tab Stops for separating the original cells).

Another option would be to open the first page of the thread with Adobe Acrobat (not just AA Reader:p), and then open one page after another until you have all. Then, save it as a .pdf file.
(Okay; I've just saved part 2 of your Story Hour as a .pdf file for experimental purposes. It's 830 kb. I don't know what to do with it in that format, though, as I'm the opposite of 1337 in using AA, I fear... :p So let's stick to WinWord, then...;))

I'm willing to help you, anyway (or even save the entire threads on my own and mail them to you if your mailbox can take it); just tell me what you need and I'll help you work something out. :) I might go to bed soon, though, so if you don't find me replying if you say something, take whatever of my advice turns out to be useful and run with it. ;)

Note: Psionicist has claimed that 10,000 letters is the maximum for any post, so make sure to save everything you post in SH before you hit "Reply;" it's safer that way. :p

Last edited:

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Character LEngth

Morruss, I posted about this in the Mod Forum - but can we raise the character limit for Story Hours (at least) to 15,000 or 20,000 or even 25,000 characters?

In order to re-create my thread I need to be able to do longer posts - esp. because I wirte my posts to end as cliff-hangers often and the flow will be ruined if I have to cut them up :(

Lidda

First Post
This is good to know. I have friend who was wanting to start a story hour of his own, so I'll suggest he hold off for a while.

What is the current character limit?

Attachments

• 2133.jpg
    2133.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 191

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases