(OT) snow snow snow snow snow

thatdarncat

Overlord of Chat
Does anyone know how much snowfall you have to have before it can be considered a blizzard?

make will save vs poll to resist making a poll asking "Is it snowing where you are right now

A2Z

Explorer
It's snowing and raining were I am. And, no I don't what constitutes a blizzard. It probably depends on were you live. A blizzard in California would be a light dusting in most parts of Canada. :)

EricNoah

Adventurer
According to one website, the US Weather Bureau says:

A snowstorm with winds of at least 35 mph, temperatures 20 degrees F or lower over the period of the storm is a plain "blizzard."

A severe blizzard has 45 mph or greater winds, blowing snow and temperatures at 10 degrees F or below.

So it looks like it's more about wind speeds and temperatures than amount of snowfall.

thatdarncat

Overlord of Chat
Hmmmm sticks head out the door..... pulls head back in covered in snow yeppers, it's a blizzard :D

Thanks eric!

and A2Z - yeah, my dad's down in windsor right now on business. I'll have to remember to post something before I have to head down there next, see if anyone wants to go for coffee. It's amazing how often he forgets stuff at home.

Horacio

LostInBrittany
Supporter
feet... yards... mph... Farenheit degrees....

Why, in the name of coherency and easiness, why do you keep using these silly Imperial system?!?:confused:

The Metric System. A system to rule all of them, a system to bind them and take them to the easiness.

When you will realize resistence is futile?

;)

Last edited:

Aitch Eye

First Post
My dictionary has "any severe, widespread snowstorm lasting for some time" as its second definition, the first being "a blinding snowstorm with a very strong wind and extreme cold".

It's been snowing here since yesterday afternoon. I've cleaned our walks and driveway four times and my mother's twice. If you squint and look at it from the right angle, you can even sort of tell.

Last edited:

Dieter

First Post
Snow...blizzards...what is this weather phenomena that you speak of??? It was 77F in Washington D.C. yesterday.

Hooray...I mean, boo global warming.

Cor Azer

First Post
I came into the university today for two reasons - meet with my supervisor and surf the Net...

Oh well, at least the snow doesn't keep me from you guys... :)

A2Z

Explorer
thatdarncat said:
and A2Z - yeah, my dad's down in windsor right now on business. I'll have to remember to post something before I have to head down there next, see if anyone wants to go for coffee. It's amazing how often he forgets stuff at home.
That would be cool! We could have a Windsor get together. It'd you and... me. :D Maybe we could invite the Londoners and Detroiters. :)

Torillan

First Post
Horacio said:
feet... yards... mph... Farenheit degrees....

Why, in the name of coherency and easiness, why do you keep using these silly Imperial system?!?:confused:

The Metric System. A system to rule all of them, a system to bind them and take them to the easiness.

When you will realize resistence is futile?

;)

Look, just because the Metric system worked for Europe, doesn't necessarily mean that a universal monetary system will work, too!! Down with the Euro!!!!!.......Sorry..........what was the question?? :D

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases