magic crown help?

jasper

Rotten DM
Ok in a upcoming campaign my players will fight the following,
Ogres, trolls, stone giants, and thieves.
The head of each group thinks it same guy call bob. Bob is theif so I adding theif level to each creature. However to explain how come Bob brain got transfered all over the place. I said he tried to steal a crown under construction by mage.
4 crowns. copper, silver, gold platinum.
What spell(s) should the crown grant?
Ex copper gives +2 skill to diplo.

Each adventure will be seperated. So one adventure they discover king bob ogre with the copper crown.
After they level up so then they encounter Trolls etc

Attachments

• 082614_2317_ddadventure2.png
    082614_2317_ddadventure2.png
    34 KB · Views: 58,510

Furn_Darkside

First Post
Salutations,

So the crowns all contain "Bob"? Is the real Bob still around? The leader of the thief guild? Or does Bob possess those who wear the crowns?

The best thing I can suggest for powers is to figure out what the average level of your party is- add +1, and then look at what spellcasters of that number level would be able to cast.

If you want to provide more details, then I may be able to give better suggestions.

Out of curiosity, why did you choose the races you did? They are all a little similar- you might want to add more variety: trolls, beholders, sauhagin, or maybe even something that is usually a lot less intelligent like: dire lion.

FD

StalkingBlue

First Post
Cool campaign idea, jasper! There's such a lot you can develop out of this.

As your PCs won't encounter more than one crown per adventure, you can safely leave the details of the more powerful crowns until the group gets closer to them. This will give you leeway to adapt the crowns' powers to what's happening in the campaign at that time, what tactical advantage you wish to give the PCs' foe who's wearing the crown at the moment, and so on.

Seeing that "Bob" was a thief and the underlying accident concerned a magic crown, I'd try mixing "thief-like" and royal powers. Using your own example, you could give the first crown +5 (or even +10) to diplomacy checks - but only when dealing with royalty, nobles, or thieves!

You may also want to develop the Bob personality. Give each crown a certain intelligence (look at the DMG rules for intelligent magic items) - the better the crown, the harder for the wearer to wrestle with Bob.

My first association when I read your post was "tiara", a three-tiered crown. What if the crowns can be fit together to make one crown (or two or more crowns, each made of a few of those "crown components")? Once fit together, the crowns may provide even better powers than before. Also, the more crown parts you wear together, the more "Bob" personality you get.

Could be fun if more than one PCs wears parts of "Bob" on their heads, arguing ...

You could even have one PC "taken over" by "Bob" later in the campaign - only if you are pretty sure the player will enjoy that kind of thing, though. Discuss it with the player in advance, probably.

Solution? Maybe they have to find all the other crown components, put them together and return the crown to the mage to get the real Bob outta there ...

jasper

Rotten DM
the reason of bob.
In my friends 2nd edition campaign, I start out as a halfling, got polymorph to stone giant and was stuck in that form for over 24 hours. Advancing scouting can lead to trouble. Then I got kill and reincarnated as a orge. Got flatten by a white dragon or frost giant, got reincarnated to a troll.
The tiara idea will be stolen.
Bob was 2nd in command of the guild but with the crown job blowing up in his face. And the boss dying of old age there is a rumble over who going take the head office.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases