Questions, including water filled dungeons & time off

Ace32

Explorer
In my game tonite, my group is going to be visiting a temple.. that is completely filled with water. I've already taken the precaution of figuring how to let them breath down there, by providing items for that purpose, but I have some rules questions. First off, being underwater, I'll need to have them make swim checks for all movement, as well as any time they try to attack, right? I mean, if the fighter is in melee, he needs to swim check each time he swings? Or does he make one check for the whole turn, unless he moves again? Another question, is does this apply to creatures that have a swim movement rate? Like water elementals?

My other topic concerns 'down-time' in game. You know, the time when the wizard is off researching a new spell, the cleric is making a magical weapon, and the psion is making psionic armor... what does the rest of the group do? We don't use the rules for 'training to get your class stuff from level up'.. but I want to be able to give them *something* to do. Any ideas? Maybe some way to spend money/time for skills (maybe feats if enough is spent)?

LightPhoenix

First Post
One of the best ideas I've seen is in Sagiro's Story Hour thread - there's a one-on-one combat tournament semi-annually which the party members regularly compete in. Presumably anyone with stuff to do isn't participating, so this gives the fighters, et. al. something to do. You could make the prize for winning the tournament money, or even a magical item. Assuming one of them wins, of course.

LightPhoenix

Doc_Souark

Explorer
I can't get to my books right now so this is completely off my head and out my arse, but I would have just one Swim check per round. Also a sword is a lousy weapon to use underwater (-2 to melee role, 1/2 damage) I would go with a half-spear or other pierceing weapon but no Bows.

Rhun

First Post
Swim: A creature with a swim speed can move through water at its swim speed without making Swim checks. It has a +8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform some special action or avoid a hazard. The creature can always choose to take 10 on a Swim check, even if distracted or endangered. The creature can use the run action while swimming, provided it swims in a straight line.

Remove ads