Do weapon proficiencies apply to all sizes of weapons?

Tiefling

First Post
Question: If I am proficient with a weapon, am I also proficient with the same weapon of a different size? For instance, rogues aren't proficient with longswords, but could they use Medium-Size shortswords, which are essentially the same?

graydoom

First Post
I don't know if there is a specific rule against it, but it is obviously against the spirit of having seperate weapons for longswords, shortswords, and greatswords.

A medium shortsword is a longsword... therefore you must have longsword proficiency to use it. I guess.

Tiefling

First Post
Well, the reason I thought it might be possible is that if a halfling rogue can use a shortsword, shouldn't a human rogue be able to use a longsword? If a dagger is to a halfling what a shortsword is to a human and a halfling wizard can use a dagger, shouldn't a human wizard be able to use a shortsword?

I'm just trying to make sense of that, is all.

pontus

First Post
Tiefling said:
Well, the reason I thought it might be possible is that if a halfling rogue can use a shortsword, shouldn't a human rogue be able to use a longsword? If a dagger is to a halfling what a shortsword is to a human and a halfling wizard can use a dagger, shouldn't a human wizard be able to use a shortsword?

I'm just trying to make sense of that, is all.

You raise a valid point, but as far as I know it just doesn't make sense, it simply is that way.

Celestial Weasel

First Post
The weapon proficiencies are not based on blade-length to height ratio. They are based on reasonable skills a person of a profession gains. Halflings get weapon proficiencies of comparatively larger weapons because they live in a bigger persons world.

AGGEMAM

First Post
If you think about it, a rogue has proficiency in just about any weapon that could be reasonably easiely concealed. And that the point, rogues are dealing with 'stealth' weapons first and foremost not hardhitters. Does that make sense?

Dundragon

First Post
Fighting with a short sword involves a lot of stabbing, because one of the benefits of a short sword is that it can often be used as a dagger (you fight in close proximity to your opponent because the blade is so short). Longswords on the other hand, are awkward for this kind of thing, and you primarily slash with them. I don't think that an oversized short sword would do you any good. You would be trying to use it as a longsword, which is something a short sword is not designed to do...otherwise it would be a longsword. And it would be too long to be successfully used a short sword. :rolleyes:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases