Does a (Greater)Magic Weapon on Arrow AND Bow STACK?

Leste

First Post
I never thought that, but according to Dragon 291 Page 105 (PowerPlay) it seems that they really stack?!
If this is true, does a +1 Arrow and a +1 Bow add up to a +2 or does this stacking above only accord to the (Greater) MagicWeapon Spell?

I thank you for your advice. I couldn't find something in the rules about it...

Attachments

• 962486.png
    962486.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 64,345

pontus

First Post
Enhancement bonuses to arrows and bows stack. When checking if an arrow can penetrate Damage Reduction, only check the enchantment of the arrow.

graydoom

First Post
Yes, it does. A +3 bow (due to greater magic weapon) firing a +3 arrow) (due to greater magic weapon) would have a total of +6 to hit and damage.

Ravellion

serves Gnome Master
I believe that that was also one of the reaons why people were in such an uproar about the Arcane Archer PrC. when the DMG was first launched.

But then, archers are very nicely taken out with a sunder or a readied action ususally, so a little edge on their part is OK... ;)

Rav

Leste

First Post
rehi folkx!

thanx a lot, that's really interesting. but as far as i understand it now, this stacking does only apply for the MagicWeapon-Spells, or?
Or does a "simple" magic Arrow+1 stack up to +2 if the person uses +1 magic Bow? (ok, i've understood that for the purpose of DMR only the +1 Bonus of the Arrow counts).

What happens if +1 Magic Bow fires a +1 Masterwork Arrow? What will happen in this case concering DMR? Does then the +1 Bonus of the Bow count or always only the Bonus of the Arrow (in this case the Arrow will then count as a +0 Weapon because it's only masterwork and not a magic projectile).

Aaah...questions over questions...

AGGEMAM

First Post
What happens if +1 Magic Bow fires a +1 Masterwork Arrow?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It gets +2 to hit, +1 to damage and does not penetrate damage reduction.

I'm sorry, but that not quite right.

Enhancement bonuses from the bow and arrow stack, but the masterwork bonuses is an unnamed bonus and not an enhancement, therefore the masterwork arrow doesn't stack with a magic bow.

Futhermore, it is specified that the unnamed bonus from masterwork items does not stack with enhancement bonuses or other unnamed bonuses from masterwork items.

That means that a masterwork bow and a masterwork arrow doesn't stack either.

Rowenstin

First Post
AGGEMAM said:

Enhancement bonuses from the bow and arrow stack, but the masterwork bonuses is an unnamed bonus and not an enhancement, therefore the masterwork arrow doesn't stack with a magic bow.

But the bonus for masterwork are an enhancement bonus, not an unnamed bonus. Because of that enhancement bonuses from magic do not stack with masterwork bonuses.

pontus

First Post
AGGEMAM said:
I'm sorry, but that not quite right.

Oops. Quite right, they don't. Odd...
That means that a masterwork bow and a masterwork arrow doesn't stack either.
Actually, they do. See DMG page 183.

"Masterwork ranged weapon bounses to attack and masterwork ammunition attack bonuses stack with each other (but not with enhancement bonuses)."

Remove ads