Hit Points, Mortal Points, Limit Breaks

Jack Daniel

dice-universe.blogspot.com
The System

These rules are designed to incorporate the Star Wars rules for vitality and wounds into a fantasy setting typical to Dungeons & Dragons, while adding a bit of that ol' time anime/video game flavor to the cold, hard tactical combat system found in d20 games.

Hit Points

Hit points remain largely unchanged, with the exception that characters no longer gain the full ammount of their first hit die; this is replaced by at allotment of mp (mortal points). Note that whereas Star Wars grants only wound points to non-elite characters (or in layman's terms those that wouldn't gain the full hit die at level 1), these rules grant only hit points to these characters.

Being reduced to 0 hp requires that you make a Fortitude save vs. DC 10 or be stunned for 2d6 rounds. Characters with no hp are fatigued, but may otherwise continue to fight normally. With these rules, "normally" is a more-or-less thing, because if you have 0 hp, you can also execute Limit Breaks.

Note: Characters gain +3 hp by taking a feat called Quickness.

Mortal Points

Characters have mortal points equal to their Strength score. While hit points represent your ability to avoid damage (in effect, your level-based defense), mortal points represent your actual capacity to survive wounds. Characters with 0 hp apply all further damage to their mortal points.

Running out of mortal points is very bad, because it means that you are unconscious and in danger of dying. You must make an immediate Fortitude save vs. DC 10, and if you fail, you die. If you save, you remain alive, but you have to make another save every hour at a cumulative +1 DC until you die or stabilize. Stabilization occurs on a natural 20, or by beating the DC by 10 or more.

Note: Characters gain +2 mp by taking the Toughness feat. This feat no longer raises hp.

Healing

Hit point damage is healed by spells and psionics as normal. Polymorphs and other effects restore the same percentage of mp as they do of hp. Psionic powers that restore either hp or ability damage can also be used to heal mp as if it were ability damage. Divine spells heal both hp and mp damage as follows:
Cure Minor Wounds: 1 hp, 0 mp
Cure Light Woudns: 1d8+1/lvl hp, 1d4+1 mp
Cure Moderate Wounds: 2d8+1/lvl hp, 1d6+2 mp
Cure Serious Wounds: 3d8+1/lvl hp, 1d8+4 mp
Cure Critical Wounds: 4d8+1/lvl hp, 2d6+6 mp
Healing Circle: 1d8+1/lvl hp, 2d3+1 mp

Critical Hits

Critical hits are somewhat deadlier under these rules, because critical hits represent actual wounding blows rather than the scrapes, bruises, and near misses represented by normal "hits". Critical damage is applied to mortal points rather than hit points, but note that damage normally not multiplied, such as Sneak Attack and energized/burst damage, still applies to hit points on a critical hit.

Threat ranges do not change, but multipliers are removed. Former x2 weapons now deal one time damage to a character's mp. x3 weapons now add +1d6 damage on a critical hit. Former x4 weapons are devistating when they wound, and deal +1d10 damage on a critical hit.

Example: Your Dwarf fighter carries a battle axe of flaming burst. Upon encountering an evil Half-Orc barbarian of Strength 21, your Dwarf charges and rolls a natural 20. Rolling his threat roll, he finds that he is successful -- a critical hit. He rolls 1d12 and adds his strength and magical bonuses for base damage, and then adds an extra 1d6 because of the axe's critical attribute. The damage applies to the Half-Orc's mortal points, but if the Half-Orc survives the devistating blow, he's not out of the woods yet -- the burst weapon also deals 1d10 points of fire damage to his hit points!

Limit Breaks

Characters with no hp but who still have mp left can make Limit Breaks, if they have enough levels to access them. Characters earn Limit Breaks in place stat increases - levels 4, 8, 12, 16, and 20 (raising statistics are covered at the end). Limit Breaks are quite powerful, but they are dangerous to use: you must sacrifice mortal points in the round you use a Limit Break. A Limit Break is a standard action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity.

The Limit Breaks

Critical Strike [Limit Break]
Prerequisites: Str 13+, Int 13+
Benefit: Your next single attack roll is an automatic natural 20, guaranteeing a hit in most circumstances (percental miss chances still apply) and entitling you to a free threat roll.
MP Cost: 3

Double the Magic, Double the Fun [Limit Break]
Prerequisites: Spellcaster or psionicist
Benefit: You may cast/manifest two spells or powers in the next round, each as a move-equivalent action. The spell slot used or the cost in power points is not increased.

Frenzied Dance of Death [Limit Break]
Prerequisites: Dex 13+, Con 13+
Benefit: You can make one melee attack against up to one opponent per level, provided they are all within the radius of a single move action (for example, 30 feet for an unarmored human, or 15 feet for a Dwarf in plate mail). Use your highest bonus for the first attack and continue to subtract 3 from each subsequent attack.
MP Cost: 4

Gambling with Fate -- and Cheating [Limit Break]
Prerequisites: Cha 13+, Int 13+
Benefit: You may reroll your next single roll of any kind, be it an attack roll, a damage roll, a saving throw, or something else.
MP Cost: 2

Heroic Desperation [Limt Break]
Prerequisites: Character level 8+
Benefit: Choose one of your six ability scores (this limit break may be taken multiple times, and it applies to a different score each time). Your next single skill check, ability check, or saving throw tied to that ability is an automatic natural 20, resulting in a critical success.

Ki to Success [Limit Break]
Prerequisites: Monk, Sohei or ki-using prestige class
Benefit: You direct a firey missile of your own life energy at a target area. The attack deals 4d6 damage in a ten-foot radius and has a range of sixty feet. Foes are granted a Reflex save vs. DC 15 for half damage.

Last Rites [Limit Break]
Prerequisites: Divine spellcaster
Benefit: For each mortal point you sacrifice (up to a maximum of 5) you heal 1d8 hit points to yourself or an ally within 30 feet. The dice of hit points healed may be divided as you see fit. For example, if you wish to sacrifice 4 MP as your limit break, you may heal 2d8 HP to yourself and 1d8 HP to two nearby allies.
MP Cost: varies

Maximum Strike [Limit Break]
Prerequisites: Str 13+, Cha 13+
Benefit: Any and all physical attacks made in the next round strike for maximum damage if they hit.

Not Going Anywhere [Limit Break]
Prerequisites: Str 13+, Wis 13+
Benefit: For the remainder of the encounter, you gain a luck bonus to AC equal to the number of mortal points you sacrifice (maximum 5).
MP Cost: varies

Resistance is Futile [Limit Break]
Prerequisites: Spellcaster or psionicist
Benefit: Your next spell or psionic power has a save DC of +10.
MP Cost: 5

Run Away!!! [Limit Break]
Prerequisites: Rouge, Bard, or thievery-based prestige class
Benefit: When beaten, battered, and down on luck, a person of the street depends on one strategy, "Getting the Hell out of there." You gain a +10 bonus to speed, Hide checks, and AC against attacks of opportunity drawn from fleeing.

Travolta's Uncontrollable Hideous Disco [Limit Break]
Prerequisites: Bardic music
Benefit: All foes within 60' feet who hear this insult to music are nausiated and must make Will saves vs. DC 15 or begin dancing, disco style, for the next full minute (ten rounds).
MP Cost: 5

Turbo Shot [Limit Break]
Prerequisites: Dex 13+, Int 13+
Benefit: You can make one ranged attack against up to one opponent per level, provided they are all within point-blank range (a 30' radius around your character) provided you have enough ammunition and are not using a weapon that requires reloading. Your first attack is made at the highest bonus, while all subsequent attacks take a cumulative -3 penalty.
MP Cost: 4

Unbelievabullet [Limit Break]
Prerequisites: Proficiency in a crossbow, pistol, or musket
Benefit: Using a weapon that fires a bolt or a bullet, you may attempt to fire a shot that goes through an opponent and into any foes standing behind that opponent, and so on in a straight line out to the weapon's maximum range. Each attack should be made separately, all at the highest bonus, and should one fail that only means that it misses -- the bolt continues to fly onward until a natural 1 is rolled.

Limit Breaks and NPCs

Only characters with mortal points can access Limit Breaks. Remember, any NPC with class levels, or special monsters who would have the full first hit die, have mortal points. NPCs and leveled monsters get Limit Break techniques just like PCs - one per four levels. Monsters without levels get Limit Break techniques like feats, but slower:
[*]Monsters without access to feats cannot use limit breaks.
[*]Monsters who earn feats at +1 per four additional hit dice (such as Giants and Humanoids) earn Limit Breaks at +1 per five hit dice.
[*]Monsters who earn feats at 1 per four total hit dice (specifically, Outsiders) have one limit break per five total hit dice.

Stat Increases

This is perhaps where these rules deviate from standard D&D the most. With feats at every 3rd level and limit break techniques at every 4th level, stat increases are no longer a fixed income, so to speak. Instead, characters earn 1 CP (character point) every time they advance, and purchase graduated stat increases.

Under the standard point-buy, characters cannot have initial numbers lower than 6, so lower scores are ignored in the chart:

Ability score costs after 1st level
Code:
[color=skyblue]
Score   Cost
7-14    1 CP
15-16   2 CP
17-18   3 CP
19+     4 CP
[/color]

Last edited:

Jack Daniel

Stat Incs

Well that's one of those optional tag-ons -- you don't need it for the Limit Break system, but it does smooth a character's progression out.

I've been running that stat increase system for about a year now, and I like how it works. If characters want to bump up low numbers or even their stats, they can do it in a few levels. If they want to concentrate on one score and raise it to 20+, they have to wait every 4th level to do so, making things turn out just like the standard progression. It seemed to me that graduated increases made more sense.

Jack Daniel

Changes Since Last Version

[Edit: Since the Old Boards, the following changes were made]

-Mortal Points based on STR instead of CON
-Critical Hit system revised
-Frenzied Dance of Death and Turbo Shot Limit Breaks nerfed

Archimago

First Post
Clarification please

I'm not familiar with the Star Wars d20 system, but I like your idea of separate HP and MP.

My questions:

1) Are crits the only way to damage MPs?
2) I imagine spells damage HP, did you make spells that hit MPs, maybe modifications to D&D death spells (finger of death, power word kill etc.)
3) Does this system make PCs less inclined to fight? Are battles more dangerous?
4) Do strange/stupid things occur with this system? Like a level 1 commoner crit'g with his dagger and killing something the regular would make far less likely (I realize a commoner criting with the regular rules could kill some high level opponent if its HP were already lowered, but with MP equalling STR the not much is going to have really high MPs so even the dagger's 1d4 would represent a large percentage of damage.
5) Do STR raising effects raise MPs, have things like gauntlets of ogre power more expensive?
6) Do battles move along quicker or slower than the regular rules?

Jack Daniel

Well to clear one thing up, characters with 0 HP take all damage as MP... I thought I mentioned that.

All in all, it makes combat a little deadlier, but since they have Limit Breaks, there's a balance in favor of the PCs too... the games tend to run a little faster, though, since 1 to 3-HD baddes get dropped by any single critical hit really quickly. All in all, stupid stuff doesn't happen that isn't realistic. If you coup de grace someone, you're probably going to kill them, rather than take off half a fighter's hit points.

PCs don't seem to become less inclined to fight, thanks to their Limit Breaks - provided they're lucky enough to get a chance to use them. As for spells, they work just like attacks: if you crit, you deal mp damage. If your foe has no hp, you deal mp damage.

Since adding an ability like mp to the Strength stat is figured in to the stat's vaule where ability adjustments are concerned (Strength was overrated, IMHO), there's no need to fiddle with magical item prices. As far as I know, a potion that raises STR costs the same as one that raises DEX.

Attachments

• Lost Hall of Tyr (2nd Edition)-  Maps and Print Run.png
    Lost Hall of Tyr (2nd Edition)- Maps and Print Run.png
    303.2 KB · Views: 1,963
Last edited:

Cabral

First Post
Jack Daniel said:
[Edit: Since the Old Boards, the following changes were made]

-Mortal Points based on STR instead of CON
-Critical Hit system revised
-Frenzied Dance of Death and Turbo Shot Limit Breaks nerfed

I didn't catach the thread on the old boards; why are mortality points based on Strength instead of Con?

Also, I had a similar thought while thinking about house rules for Dragonstar: Mortality Points based on size and type.
The progression (based on the Create A Monster! article in Dragon 276) is as follows:
Size
Fine - 1 Mp
Dimunitive - x1/3
Tiny - x1/2
Small - x1
Medium - x2
Large - x4
Huge - x10
Gargantuan - x25
Colossal - x50

Type:
Abberation 4
Animal 4
Beast 5
Construct 5
Dragon 6
Elemental 4
Fey 3
Giant 4
Humanoid 4
Magical Beast 5
Monstrous Humanoid 4
Ooze 5
Outsider 4
Plant 4
Shapechanger 4
Undead 6
Vermin 4

Note: Mortality points should not affect Hit Dice. Otherwise, a first level character isn't neccessarily a 1 hit die monster ...

Victim

First Post
Jack Daniel said:
Well to clear one thing up, characters with 0 HP take all damage as MP... I thought I mentioned that.

All in all, it makes combat a little deadlier, but since they have Limit Breaks, there's a balance in favor of the PCs too... the games tend to run a little faster, though, since 1 to 3-HD baddes get dropped by any single critical hit really quickly. All in all, stupid stuff doesn't happen that isn't realistic. If you coup de grace someone, you're probably going to kill them, rather than take off half a fighter's hit points.

PCs don't seem to become less inclined to fight, thanks to their Limit Breaks - provided they're lucky enough to get a chance to use them. As for spells, they work just like attacks: if you crit, you deal mp damage. If your foe has no hp, you deal mp damage.

Since adding an ability like mp to the Strength stat is figured in to the stat's vaule where ability adjustments are concerned (Strength was overrated, IMHO), there's no need to fiddle with magical item prices. As far as I know, a potion that raises STR costs the same as one that raises DEX.

When aren't 1-3 HD baddies dropped by a single critical hit?

Stupid stuff that shouldn't happen, like a fighter not dying from a major coup de grace, really doesn't. When the 6th level fighter eats a 25 point coup de grace that removes 1/2 his HP, he also has to make a DC 40?! fortitude save or die. In other words, he dies.

I would rather have mortal points based off Con. Right now, high strength provides lots of offense while Con provides defense. I believe the tradeoffs make for some interesting choices. However, mortal points based on strength give a greater last ditch defense to those who have focused on dealing out damage insstead of defense.

Jack Daniel

It's far from stupid: Star Wars uses a "grunt" rule: weak baddies, or grunts, die instantly from crits. I'm not saying YOU have to use that rule; I like it for goblins and kobolds.

I use STR for mortal points because unlike CON, STR scales to size. A red dragon should have more MP than something half its size but equally tough. CON and hit points represent stamina and endurance; STR and mortal points represent physical resillience.

Cabral

First Post
Jack Daniel said:
I use STR for mortal points because unlike CON, STR scales to size. A red dragon should have more MP than something half its size but equally tough. CON and hit points represent stamina and endurance; STR and mortal points represent physical resillience.

Con scales up with size starting at small to medium size.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases