Relics & Rituals: spells balanced?

Davelozzi

Explorer
One of my players has a druid and is looking for more variety in spells selection. I remember hearing here a while back that Relics & Rituals has a lot of cool ones. I've read through some of the reviews and flipped through the book but haven't had a chance to buy it yet and read it in detail. For those of you that have used it, do you think that the spells are fairly well balanced ?(druid spells in particular but also others)

Last edited:

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Dave, I think the druid spells in there are fine. Some people might be concerned with spells like Shadow Touch and/or Assasin sense, but I don't see them as DREADFULLY broken. All in all, the spells in R&R are fine to use judiously just as you would say, Magic of Faerun or Book of Eldritch Might.

madriel

First Post
You should buy it. Like any other 3e source for new spells, you'll need to house rule some of the spells and maybe ban some altogether, but it's worth it. There's some amazingly cool spells in there.

Psion

Adventurer
I screen all spells not in the brown cover WotC books on a case by case basis... but thus far, I have had no issues with the ones I have taken the time to use. I have an alliance of wizards who want to establish themselves as the new upper class who uses the rune spells and the circles of seeing as their tool. A transmuter that is high in that organization used Mormo's serpent hands in a recent adventure and almost killed the paladin (actually, it would have killed the paladin if the cleric hadn't had cast restoration on him prior to making his secondary effect saves.) But it's about right for the level.

The only ones I have banned outright are greater familiar (because I think the T&B feats fit better... but to be honest I am still considering allowing it) and whatever the spell is that changes the target's religious conviction (that is simply beyond the means of magic AFAIAC.)

Nightfall

The spell you're talking about is convert Psion. Btw, in a similiar vein, did you also ban the use of Sever? The spell that cuts off the ability to commune with their god and also cause them not to get any spells per day?

Neqroteqh

First Post
Relics and Rituals is one of the best non-WotC products I've seen released for the d20 system. Everything in there that has seen use in my campaign has seemed perfectly balanced to me... and yes, the new Druid and Cleric spells (aw, heck, the Bard, Paladin, Wizard/Sorcerer... all the spells...) give a considerable range of new abilities to the characters. Be wary of this, however... placing a limit on how many of the spells a given character has access to might not be a bad idea. Rather than handing the book over to them (which is fine for Sorcerers and Wizards, who are already limited in their spell selectrion through game mechanics), give them spells that they desire as rewards for adventures or privledges of higher offices and positions in the ecclesiastical or druidic hierarchy. Same goes for Book of Eldritch Might spells, and spells from FF Games upcoming "Spells and Spellcraft" (which looks pretty good to me- I'll be picking myself up a copy).

Victim

First Post
Nightfall, Sever has a duration of Concentration. I'd be impressed if someone managed to hold it for more than 3 rounds, much less keep someone from refreshing spells. Cast that one onmy cleric, and he'll make of go beating you to death, and I'm sure my friends will help.

I think the druid ones were fine.

I don't like the Smite spell, as it steals too much thunder from paladins. I can see it as a domain spell with variations, but not a general spell.

Berandor

lunatic
Broken.

I can't tell you why, I haven't read any of them except Shadow touch. But this one is broken, so...

And it's White Wolf, meaning: broken.

Berandor

P.S.: In case you didn't get it, this is a joke. And a precaution for the posts to come :)

Nightfall

Vic, Yeah I forgot about THAT little drawback. Still, if a High Gorgon has it, AND can be invisible, it might work. But you are right, Vic, it's still not a good combat option. Well even though Smite loses some of it's power for a paladin, I think you'll have to agree, the body of corean spells (Limbs of Endurance, Heart of Valor, Hand of Justice etc), make a SL paladin FAR more powerful than some paladins.

Davelozzi

Explorer
Usable in non-SL campaign?

Thanks for all the feedback, everyone. I'll probably pick it up this weekend.

One other thing that I should have mentioned - it's not a Scarred Lands campaign, it's a homebrew. I'm assuming that most of the stuff is usable in just about any campaign with minimal tweaking, but if you disgree please let me know.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases