level of Special cohort

abri

Mad Scientist
According to the DMG and defender of the faith taking a special cohort is equivalent to having a high level cohort. What I don't find logic is the level equivalent listed, Lv=CR+6 in most case!
Come on, I know an orphan wyrmling metallic dragon is cute, but L8-9 is not really adequate.
Same thing with demons, L14 or 15 for succubus and Erynies (can't remember the exact level)! Yes they have nice abilities but at L14 they're not of any serious help.
I can agree that DMs might want to limit the number of monstrous PC (hence the ECL system), but monstrous cohorts for heroes are really so common in fantastic litterature that we have hundreds of examples on how to incorporate them in a campaign.
All the DM I know, use Lv=CR+3 for special cohort (even those that use the ECL for PC).
What do you think? Is it to generous?

pontus

First Post
A succubus or erinyes may not be that useful in a straight fight, but that's not exactly what she's supposed to be. The make good spies, and are excellent for keeping your other minions in line.

abri

Mad Scientist
pontus said:
A succubus or erinyes may not be that useful in a straight fight, but that's not exactly what she's supposed to be. The make good spies, and are excellent for keeping your other minions in line.
I know they are good spies. What I meant to say is that a human character of L14 can do better at their role, even if the role is not combat-intended: between a succubus and a human rogue with 14 level, I think the rogue will be a better spy (Yeah, I know succubus have teleport without error, but a rogue of this level don't need it or will be using scrolls if really necessary)
And anyone found a use for a wyrmling dragon at L9? (Don't take me wrong, great roleplay opportunity there, and I have allowed several time, but the PC ended up spending up a lot of energy protecting the wyrmling and couldn't find a role for him. Well appart from comic relief.)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases