Underwater casting

Barnacleez

First Post
Can a Wizard who Altered Self to have gills cast spells with Verbal Components while underwater?

Please cite any references in the rules (if any).

whatisitgoodfor

First Post
I'm inclined to say no. I'm currently looking at both the description of Alter Self and the info on Verbal components (PHB 172 and 151 respectively).

Alter Self to gain gills allows the caster to "breathe underwater," but to use verbal components, the caster has to "be able to speak in a strong voice."

Personally, I would rule that under most circumstances this would not be a valid combination. It simply makes Alter Self a little too powerful. Being able to absorb aqueous oxygen through gills is simply not the same as being able to force air over the vocal cords.

However, I would rule that the use of the spell Water Breathing would allow the caster to use verbal components, since it states that you can "breath water freely."

At least, that's what I think the designers meant.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
However, I would rule that the use of the spell Water Breathing would allow the caster to use verbal components, since it states that you can "breath water freely."

You're more generous than me :) I'd require a/ Silent Spell, or b/ a Helm of Underwater Action.

Water Breathing would still make speech come out unintelligibly, in my opinion. The Helm, on the other hand, creates a bubble of air around your face.

-Hyp.

kreynolds

First Post
Basically, anything that interferes with speech, such as choking, coughing, sneezing, silence spell, suffocation, or even a vacuum, should interfere with spellcasting. Whenever a spell has a component descriptor, it is best to enforce that descriptor.

However, the Helm of Underwater Breathing would not help you in this situation, as the item only allows you to see and breathe underwater. Furthermore, since the item is activated by command word, it must be activated before you enter the water and can only be deactivated once you have left the water.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
However, the Helm of Underwater Breathing would not help you in this situation, as the item only allows you to see and breathe underwater. Furthermore, since the item is activated by command word, it must be activated before you enter the water and can only be deactivated once you have left the water.

That's an excellent point, and if I ever come across a Helm of Underwater Breathing, I'll bear it in mind.

The Helm of Underwater Action, on the other hand, doesn't simply say that it allows you to breathe underwater. It "creates a globe of air around the wearer's head and maintains it until the command word is spoken again, enabling her to breathe freely".

Do you maintain that I cannot speak if there is a globe of air around my head?

-Hyp.

kreynolds

First Post
The Helm of Underwater Action (I apologize for the confusion, guess I've been working too hard on new material) could be interpreted that way. It does make sense that the air bubble would allow you to speak, although any spells that require others to hear you would not function.

And no, I'm not Sean. Close names though. :)

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
It does make sense that the air bubble would allow you to speak, although any spells that require others to hear you would not function.

Yeah. Basically anything with the [Language-dependent] descriptor, I think. Something like Shout that does sonic damage, but doesn't need to be intelligible, I'd have to think about.

-Hyp.

kreynolds

First Post
The problem with the Shout spell is that it only affects creatures that can hear. If the creature is deaf, it is not affected.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
The problem with the Shout spell is that it only affects creatures that can hear. If the creature is deaf, it is not affected.

Oh?

I dispute your claim.

Provide evidence to support it.

I concede that a deaf creature would not be deafened by Shout. I maintain that even a deafened creature takes sonic damage.

-Hyp.

Remove ads