Kenzer and Company Product Update 02/13/02

Noah Kolman

First Post
Hey everyone,

Here is a slightly belated product update.

Kingdoms of Kalamar

Recent Releases:

Deathright - 80 pgs - $15.99
This adventure set in the Principality of Pekal puts the players in the middle of a tale of madness, kidnappings, murder, and undying love. Complete with source material on Pekal, the ImageQuest adventure illustrator, 2 new official prestige classes, 2 new official monsters, a new magic item, and a new spell, Deathright combines an awesome adventure with great source material. This adventure is designed for four to six characters between 8th and 9th level.

Deathright is available for purchase. Ask for it by name at your local game store.

Lands of Mystery - 80 pgs - $15.99
Four distinct and separate adventures which can be used individually, or tied together that can also be used individually to suit the needs of the GM. Players uncover an evil cult which travels upon a mysterious ship from distant lands, become embroiled in a battle between two fey races, search for the murderers of a kindly gold dragon, and battle strange orcs the likes of which they’ve never seen before. This fantastic book of D&D adventures includes 5 new 3e monsters, 4 new 3e spells, magic items and poison, detail on eight diseases and jumpstart rules for underwater adventuring.

Lands of Mystery is available for purchase. Check your local game store.

Upcoming Releases:

Geanavue: Stones of Peace, by Ed Greenwood - 176 pgs - $24.99
Looking for more excitement than your local town or village can give you? Missing that hustle and bustle of city life? Or do you just need a place to hide out from those raiding giants, pirates and other dangers? If so, look no further.
Welcome to Geanavue, the Stones of Peace: a completely detailed fantasy city for D&D® campaign play, set in the popular Kingdoms of Kalamar setting. From the pen of Ed Greenwood, one of the best-known D&D writers of all time, comes this richly detailed setting. Geanavue is a haven of justice and prosperity for your characters — but one that, for the unwary, can be just as deadly as the monster-haunted hills. Join fully developed guilds, and ready your weapons, as you become involved in the long-running intrigues of colorful, detailed noble families. See famous landmarks and be guided to interesting shops and underground societies. Hear the local rumors and seek the dangers that lie behind them. Welcome home, adventurers.
Geanavue is a city designed to be used either as a 'home base' or simply as a stopover in a Kalamar campaign. From the daily lives of commoners and castle officials to precarious conditions in the lawless port of nearby Loona, this sourcebook presents a firm foundation for years of adventure.
Geanavue comes packed with well over 100,000 words detailing hundreds of noble houses, guilds, inns, taverns, NPCs, spells and other crunchy bits as well as a 2-sided poster-sized map of Geanavue, the surrounding lands, the under-city and Loona. This sourcebook also introduces KenzerCo’s latest innovation: the Rumor Quest Encounter System, a novel and elegant method of bringing a city to life while simultaneously disseminating information (and random encounters!) to the players.

Geanavue is finished and has been sent to press. It should be about another 3 to 4 weeks before it is available in game stores.

Invasion of Arun'Kid - 32-48 pgs - $11.99
Arun’Kid - a small farming village with a sinister legacy. Now, a group of gnomes seeks vengeance for wrongs done to them long ago. But to save the village, the heroes must seek answers from the most unlikely sources. Everyone seems to want to claim the village of Arun’Kid - the gnomes, the Kingdom and even a murderous band of brigands. But who should get it is up to the heroes to decide… This Kingdoms of Kalamar adventure is intended for 1st to 3rd level players. This fantastic adventure also includes new 3e magic items, monsters and NPC classes.

Arun'Kid appears to be on schedule, and should be released in March 2002.

Kingdoms of Kalamar Player's Guide - 128-192 pgs est. - $24.99
This is it. The definitive sourcebook for Dungeons and Dragons™ and a must have for any player or DM. Set in the popular Kingdoms of Kalamar™ campaign setting, this book is loaded with new official Dungeons and Dragons™ material including: five new variant classes, ten new prestige classes, over 70 new feats, new weapons, new armor, new combat options, new clerical domains, new spells and a new class of spells: scalable spells. Also included is more detailed information about the world of Tellene, its races, classes and politics that will allow Dungeons and Dragons™ players to create a unique character that matches their unique vision. Additionally, D&D™ Dungeon Masters will have a plethora of information at their fingertips with which to customize any campaign world. An abundant source of official Dungeons and Dragons™ material of the high quality you have come to expect from Kenzer and Company, this is one product you do not want to miss.

The Player’s Guide is entering the final stages of editing before it is sent for layout. This is another great product, and it will let any D&D player customize their character or any DM customize their campaign for Kalamar.

HackMaster 4th Edition

Recent Releases:

HackMaster RPG Hacklopedia of Beasts Volume 6 – 128 pgs - $19.99
This comprehensive set of reference manuals is a must for HackMaster GMs and players alike. The sixth volume picks up where the fifth one left off by continuing down the alphabet and describing terrifying monsters in sometimes-frightening scientific detail. Every monster in the Fourth Edition Hacklopedia has been revised, edited, and updated and they have had their HackFactors beefed up to bring them in line with the rest of the game. Among other features, readers will learn about monster social structures, activity cycles, diets, attack modes (including special attacks), morale and even how to make the most of their kills by salvaging monster remains of potential value. Derived from the 1st/2nd edition Advanced Dungeons and Dragons game system (under license), millions of players already know the basics - now they can get the details!

HoB VI is another fine addition to the HackMaster line and the Hacklopedia series. It should be on store shelves within a week, if it isn’t already. Ask for HackMaster by name from your favorite retailer.

B1: Quest for the Unknown – 48 pgs - $11.99
Many years ago, rumor has it that two noted personages, a fighter of renown and a magic-user of mystery and power pooled their resources and expertise to construct a massive stronghold as a base of operations. But now word has reached your heroes – the personages are dead, and the fortress is up for grabs – if they can only survive it. This first HackMaster module is filled with plenty of hacking, and intended for beginning players.

This is the first HackMaster adventure, and it is an update of the 1e module Quest for the Unknown. We have updated the adventure but maintained the old school feel. Even the maps are done in the old cyan (blue) color. The module comes with a bunch of great art, and a battle tracker that will make your combats run very smoothly.

Hacklopedia of Beasts Volume 7 - 128 pgs - $19.99
ALL NEW! This comprehensive set of reference manuals is a must for HackMaster GMs. The seventh volume picks up where the sixth one left off by continuing down the alphabet and describing terrifying monsters in sometimes-frightening scientific detail. Every monster in the Fourth Edition Hacklopedia has been revised, edited, and updated, as well as having their HackFactors beefed up to bring them in line with the rest of the game. Among other features, readers will learn about monster social structures, activity cycles, diets, attack modes (including special attacks), morale and even how to make the most of their kills by salvaging monster remains of potential value. Derived from the 1st/2nd edition Advanced Dungeons and Dragons game system (under license) - millions of players already know the basics - now they can get the details!

HoB VII is out. Ask for it by name.

Upcoming Releases:

B2: Little Keep on the Border Lands – 32-48 pgs est. - $11.99 est.
Somewhere near the Border Lands, amidst the forest and tangled ferns, are chaotic caves where ravenous creatures lie in wait for unwary heroes. This HackMaster module is not for the wuss of heart! Only members of that exceptional class, adventurers in search of fame and fortune, and willing to pass through many harrowing experiences together, should apply. This HackMaster module’s exciting underground and wilderness settings provide plenty of adventure for novice and seasoned players alike.

Another great HackMaster module, there are several hooks in Quest for the Unknown that will easily transition to Little Keep. Another faithful Hackification of an old module. Don’t miss out on this old school gaming. It looks to be on schedule for its March release.

Game Master’s Shield - HackMaster RPG - $19.99 est.
Essential accessory for HackMaster GMs who wish to protect themselves from unruly players over bad rules calls and flying dice. A fashionable totem of cool artwork and such charts you won’t believe it. Everything a GM has ever imagined and longed for. The developers could not stop making this product better, better, better and even better. Every idea was incorporated. A must have…

This will be the best GM screen ever. I promise. I have been running the HackMaster game here at the office and using the mock-up for the game. It is amazing. The art is awesome, and you won’t believe how much information is on there. And it’s all readable. It should be out in March

HackMaster RPG Hacklopedia of Beasts Volume 8 - 128 pgs - $19.99
ALL NEW! This comprehensive set of reference manuals is a must for HackMaster GMs and players alike. This eighth, 144-page volume picks up where the seventh one left off by continuing down the alphabet and describing terrifying monsters in sometimes-frightening scientific detail, as well as including a comprehensive index. Every monster in the Fourth Edition Hacklopedia has been revised, edited, and updated, as well as having their HackFactors beefed up to bring them in line with the rest of the game. Among other features, readers will learn about monster social structures, activity cycles, diets, attack modes (including special attacks), morale and even how to make the most of their kills by salvaging monster remains of potential value. Derived from the 1st/2nd edition Advanced Dungeons and Dragons game system (under license) - millions of players already know the basics - now they can get the details!

HoB VIII is actually ahead of schedule, and should be in stores in early May.

HackMaster Miniatures

Blind Wretched Pursuer - $2.99 est.
Sculpted By Steve Buddle
Blister pack of 1 model
The Blind Wretched Pursuer looks like an eyeless zombie, but it is really a vengeful spirit bent on punishing anyone it comes across. They will never see it coming!

Simian Orcs - $12.99
Sculpted by Steve Buddle
Blister pack of 4 models including shields
Half Orc, half ape, and all attitude- these guys are even bigger and ill tempered than your run of the mill Orcs. Armed with clubs, axes, swords and shields they are ready for combat!

I have seen the masters of these first HackMaster minis and they look really good. These should be ready in time for a late April release.

Dungeons & Dragons Comic

Recent Releases:

Dungeons and Dragons: In the Shadow of Dragons – 24-32 pgs est. - $2.99
Issue #6 "An Eclipse of Stolen Blood" (part six of eight)
Jay Donovan, writer
Tommy Castillo and Tom Martin, covers

After our heroes mind-bending journey through the mystical space containing the Dragonhold weapon, they meet an even more deadly obstacle - Azzre, the dragon sibling of Blackwing and Eclipse. But Azzre does not come to do battle, but rather to deal secretly with the heroes. Azzre offers the heroes a solution they hadn’t considered before, but can a dragon’s word be trusted? Must someone die before the mighty dragon Blackwing can be defeated? This issue also features the confrontation between the paladin Lucien and the convicted murderer Kiernan. Will either one walk away alive? Don't miss it!

In the Shadow of Dragons is out in stores.

Upcoming Releases:

Dungeons and Dragons: In the Shadow of Dragons #8 - 24-32 pgs. - $2.99
Issue #8 "Where Four Strangers Once Stood..." (part eight of eight)
Jay Donovan, writer - Tommy Castillo, covers, pencils and inks - Scott Kester, colorist

The stunning conclusion to this incredible saga! Our heroes face not one, but two dangerous threats – a fearsome dragon attack and a murderous assault by one whom they formerly called friend. Death, betrayal, murder, and revenge. It’s all here... but how will it end? The answer will surprise you - don't miss it!

In the Shadow of Dragons #8 is on schedule for its May release.

Dungeons and Dragons: Tempest’s Gate #2 - 24-32 pgs. - $2.99
Issue #2 "Forged in Tears" (part two of four)
Sean Smith, writer - Mike Lilly, pencils - Bob Wiacek, Inks - Mickey Clausen, colorist

The bold new era of Dungeons and Dragons continues with this brand-new series from acclaimed Nightwing penciller Mike Lilly and JLA writer Sean Smith!
While the paladin Aidus journeys to the capital with his new ally, the powerful sorcerer Zed-Kraken, the beautiful half-elf Vail fights a lone battle against a pair of savage were-rats! Will Aidus survive a duel to the death, not to mention political conflicts and assassinations? Who are the mysterious were-rats, and who are the other pair watching and waiting in the shadows? And what is the tragic past that ties all our heroes together? Find out – if you dare….

Tempest’s Gate #2 was sent to the printer yesterday. It should be in stores by the end of the month.

Knights of the Dinner Table

Knights of the Dinner Table is the longest running comic book on the subject of games and gamers. The principal characters – B.A., Brian, Bob, Dave, Sara and the dastardly Black Hands play numerous characters in their role-playing games. But their essential characteristics and hilarious interactions always shine through whatever roles they’re playing. In addition to the comics, KoDT features articles geared to a gamer’s perspective. A fantastic and hilarious slice of (fantasy) life in strips.

KODT will continue coming out each month. The page count will be 64 pages for issue 64, and 72 pages for issues 65 and later. There will be plenty of Kalamar, D20 and HackMaster articles as well as the usual assortment of strips and regular column. Don’t miss it. It is still only $2.99, and subscriptions are available.

Knights of the Dinner Table: HackMasters of EverKnight #15 – 24-32 pgs - $2.99
(EverKnights # Negative 1: Priestess)
Created by Blackburn, Jelke, Johansson, Kenzer, and Vega.
Writer/Artist - Manny Vega

The countdown to EverKnights #1 continues, as the amnesiac Priestess is rescued by a band of female freedom fighters out to rid the land of its male oppressors. With her new companions at her side, she fights the good fight like a true warrior…warrior? Join us on this journey of discovery as a wuss discovers who she really is, and someone finally asks what her name is, in "Warrior Priestess." Battle on, Priestess!

Well, that's all for now. Another update in 2 weeks.

Sincerely,
Noah Kolman
Game Designer & Assitant Editor, KODT
HMGMA # IL-8-00007-01
Kenzer and Company
www.kenzerco.com

Last edited:

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Boo!

Still claiming B1 was a 1e module, too.

Does your company get some sort of perverse pleasure out of ridiculing fans of the original D&D (and the Known World/Mystara)?

ProfAnime

Move along, nothing to see here
trancejeremy said:
Boo!

Does your company get some sort of perverse pleasure out of ridiculing fans of the original D&D (and the Known World/Mystara)?

How are KenzerCo ridiculing fans of the original/Basic D&D?

So Noah mislabeled that B1 was a 1e module, instead of stating that it was for original/Basic D&D. Big deal. They also explained that yes they have the rights to do a Hackmaster version of Mystara, but after yours and other Mystara fans attacks for misreading of a joke statement by David Kenzer, I would be surprised to see them actually touch Mystara if they could help it.

If you do not care for KenzerCo's products do not buy them, but your sniping at them whenever they post release information I find highly distasteful.

bolen said:
are there any plans for releasing a all in one version of the comics (ie in graphic novel format)

You know, this is something that I'd be interested in as well. I'm starting to get a lot of the Bundles of Trouble collections and it would be nice to have some larger books.

Talaysen

First Post
trancejeremy said:
Boo!

*hands Jeremy a bottle labeled "Chill Pills"*

Take two of these and call me in the morning.

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
trancejeremy, the trolling is old. In addition, you're misinformed - it's obvious you haven't taken a good look at the HackMaster RPG. Even a cursory glance at it will reveal Kenzer isn't making fun of D&D fans of any edition.

bolen

First Post
First let me say I am a huge Kalamar fan.

Have you guys given thought to releasing a D20 magic system which is similar to the one which soverign stone uses (ie a point based magic rather then a fire + forget.

also I would rather you focus on books which explore a region of Kalamar in detail then the adventures (which are all good but more general info would help me more.

Third, could you give us a "sneek peek" as to what "the Rumor Quest Encounter System" is?

Dahak

Explorer
1eDM said:

How are KenzerCo ridiculing fans of the original/Basic D&D?

So Noah mislabeled that B1 was a 1e module, instead of stating that it was for original/Basic D&D. Big deal. They also explained that yes they have the rights to do a Hackmaster version of Mystara, but after yours and other Mystara fans attacks for misreading of a joke statement by David Kenzer, I would be surprised to see them actually touch Mystara if they could help it.

If you do not care for KenzerCo's products do not buy them, but your sniping at them whenever they post release information I find highly distasteful.

Gentleman, please... ;)

I was the one who initially brought up the Mystara thread in connection to Kenzer. I was under the misimpression that they were "squatting" the rights to the setting. David K. later assured me that the rights only applied to HackMaster products (and not D20 System products). Note that in my original message (which may still be on the general boards), I had asked for Mystara fans to NOT flame Kenzerco. if they made any suggestions that the setting be utilized. I see that my request went unheeded, so I apologize (again) for the actions of my fellow Mystara fans.

Also, a side note... B1 and B2 can rightfully be considered 1st Edition modules. At the time they were first released, the Basic Dungeons & Dragons rulebook (blue cover, 78ish) was a lead in to the Advanced Dungeons & Dragons game. The Expert set/Mystara setting had not been invented yet. Most players I knew at the time assumed that the modules took place in the same world as G1, T1, etc. I think the 78 D&D Basic rulebook is now available as an ESD, if anyone really needs to verify this for themselves.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases