"...like Dungeons and Dragons."

MythandLore

First Post
Wolfspider said:

A man who allegedly threatened to kill his co-workers and owned an extensive cache of medieval-style weapons has been jailed and charged with terroristic threats. He also wrote notes explaining his reasons for the threats, police said.

The main floor of the home was normal, Hutton said, but walking into his basement living area "is like Dungeons and Dragons."

That's all DnD needs, more pointless bad press.

Emiricol

Let the reporter know

The author, Amy Becker, can be reached at abecker@pioneerpress.com.

A polite email stating that the reference to Dungeons and Dragons was misleading and innacurate, and unnecessary for the purposes of the article, might be in order.

Maybe even mention that games like D&D and Monopoly don't involve going Postal - that's just that one disturbed person.

(Both use dice, involve play money, have an objective and move figures around on a board, so hey.)

Anyhoo - not telling anyone what to do, but there it is if you want to.

MythandLore

First Post
Re: Let the reporter know

Emiricol said:
The author, Amy Becker, can be reached at abecker@pioneerpress.com.

A polite email stating that the reference to Dungeons and Dragons was misleading and innacurate, and unnecessary for the purposes of the article, might be in order.

Maybe even mention that games like D&D and Monopoly don't involve going Postal - that's just that one disturbed person.

(Both use dice, involve play money, have an objective and move figures around on a board, so hey.)

Anyhoo - not telling anyone what to do, but there it is if you want to.

Wow, your smart and level-head, how cool is that?

Tortoise

First Post
I wonder if a comparison of this type, being defamitory in nature toward a product, could be grounds for a successful lawsuit by Hasbro/WOTC ...

Nothing was mentioned of this guy having anything to do with D&D, just that the individual had lots of weapons from various eras, modern to ancient, from multiple cultures.

Saying that's like D&D, is possible, but clearly a VERY big stretch.

Has anyone contacted the paper for more info (not to chew them out, it wasn't their comparison) and to get the officer's name? I wonder what the officer would have to say regarding what he saw specifically that made him compare this guy's collection as "like D&D".

Any legal eagles out there know if such a lawsuit would have any legs to stand on? I doubt one would get filed even if it did (although if there's ever a time the publicity would grab lots of attention it is now with LOTR high in the saddle), but I'm curious if it could be done.

It's probably a long shot since it could be just that officer's opinion. I guess we'll have to see if anything more gets made of the "D&D" reference.

Dave G

First Post
A lawsuit would be incredibly heavy handed, and in the end would do little if any good for our hobby... I think there should be PSA's for gaming... Think positive not negative...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases