Is the Everquest RPG now d20 compatible?

johnsemlak

First Post
I don't play it, but I need to know for posting a news article on it.

S&SS's site calls Everquest 3rd Edition compatible. This may be a stupid question, but is that the same as saying d20 compatible?
http://www.swordsorcery.com/

In otherwords, is Everquest RPG a d20 product?

Psychotic Jim

First Post
Well, I thought Everquest RPG was technically OGL, not d20. It has it's own character creation rules like classes and its own Exp tables (though I have heard its just like the exp tables from D$D only mutliplied by two). And character advancement I have heard goes to level 30. So there are several rules discrepancies between Everquest and D&D.

Psychotic Jim said:
Well, I thought Everquest RPG was technically OGL, not d20. It has it's own character creation rules like classes and its own Exp tables (though I have heard its just like the exp tables from D$D only mutliplied by two). And character advancement I have heard goes to level 30. So there are several rules discrepancies between Everquest and D&D.

Sigh. That's what I get for not reading thoroughly. Even though I quoted the darn sentence, I read it as "Is Everquest D20-compatible?" Must have mentally juxtaposed it with the previous paragraph.

So yes, Jim is correct. It uses the D20 rules for the most part, but it's technically an Open Game License game but not quite a D20 product in the most formal sense of the word.

Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited:

ced1106

Explorer
johnsemlak said:
In otherwords, is Everquest RPG a d20 product?

Technically yes, but most gamers will point out that you might as well not mix the D&D PHB and EQ PHB together (eg. the experience levels are gained at different numbers of experience points, EQ has no prestige classes, EQ has somewhat different skills, etc.) EQ MM should be able to be used with D&D, although many EQ monsters have very high CR's.

Let us know more about the news article so we can help out.

Cedric.
aka. Washu! ^O^

Aloïsius

First Post
Everquest is a d20 system game, but not a d20 license game.

Although, even if technically compatible with D&D 3e, there is quite a wide gap between the balance level of both.

I'm not saying EQRPG is broken -- just that it is if used with D&D without extra work. You can download some of the creatures from Monsters of Norrath on the EQRPG site, where they are found as preview and teaser.

Kyramus

First Post
so far I've successfully incorporated the EQ Bard to replace the PHB bard in my campaign world.

I'm trying to see if the arcane spellcasters are balanced or needs tweaking for my campaign.

I gave the Bard the same xp advancement as the PHB for classes. Then used the mana system for their free action singing. Which basically allows them to do little buffs or tricks while capable of fighting.

The feel of the EQ bard IMHO, matches what I view bards to be. Not fire and forget spells.

Aloïsius

First Post
Kyramus said:
The feel of the EQ bard IMHO, matches what I view bards to be. Not fire and forget spells.

PH bards don't really fire'n'forget their spells. They have a limited number of spell slots, but that mechanism isn't fundamentally different from the mana point system (it's still a magical resource they expend as suit them to power their known spell; it's neither a Vancian-preparation like wizards and divine classes do, nor a limitless spellcasting (with or without spell failure risk) like in Ars Magica and similar games).

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases