Do you use the Psionics Handbook in your game?

Do you use the Psionics Handbook in your game?

• Yes

Votes: 88 60.7%
  • No

Votes: 57 39.3%

Warchild

First Post
I like psionics, there fore i allow them. I've run Dark Sun which absolutely demands it, but i even allow them in my FR games. My Homebrew has a splinter plane that is entirely psionics based (no magic).

RHM

First Post
I pretty much use everything from the PsiHB, but I've modified the psion class and psionic combat.

I've always been a big fan of psionics.

Cyberzombie

Explorer
Not to start the whole "Psionics Handbook is Useless" fight again, but I can't imagine using it in a campaign. Yeah, yeah, I've heard all the arguments, I'm friends with Piratecat the PsiAdventure writer, but the rules are just too wimpy for me. And I can do everything the rules allow better with either a monk, fighter, sorcerer, or wizard, depending on the character concept.

Whoops! I just went and opened that can of worms again. Bad Cyberzombie! ;)

MJEggertson

First Post
I love psionics, but I hate the 3E rules for it. I don't use it, but if any of my players wanted to, I'd let them have psi characters. None of them show any interest in it though, so the current answer is 'no'.

Sodalis

First Post
I played a Psy War for a while. She got really powerful, and was taking over what the group wanted. that and that she was the only evil character in the group- everyone else was good.

She left and now I am DMing. None of the other playes have a PsiHB and so none like to play one. I think she can be a watered down cleric (or one that engages in melee more...)

Aaron L

Hero
Yes, because I like good, interesting options. I made a psionics heavy greco-roman type culture for my campaign world, where psionics developed out of deep philosophical self examination. Now it is an integral part of the world.

Last edited:

The Cardinal

First Post
Why: I like psionics
How: I use the "psionics is different from magic" option

Psionic PCs in my campaign: 1 human Fighter/Psion, 1 Githzerai Monk

Psion

Adventurer
Is this a trick question? :)

Anyways, yes, of course I use psionics in my game. Why? Because psionics are great! I have been using a psionic class in my game since the days that it came out in a dragon long ago. 3e is the best psionics rules yet, and I marvel at the fact that they came to the same conclusion that I did in 2e... that magic and psionics should not be treated as different magical forces.

How? Well, unlike some, I only think that the psion is a little weak vice a lot weak. My latest iteration of psion tweaks is:

- Use the ITCK psion and power scaling rule, with the exception that I require your three disciplines correspond to your three highest scores.
- Psions and psychic warriors may swap out one old power every time they gain a power level.
- Use the PsiHB errata (display descriptions, psionic monster power variant, etc.) except for inflict pain. Inflict pain still last for concentration, but is ended by the first will save. (I am thinking of reducing the damage and having it cause nausea while it is in effect)
- You do not have to choose a display type for hide display. Each time you take the feat, it lets you hide one display of any type at a cost of +2 pp.
- Inner strength PP = (# of times you have feat) ^ 2.

And before someone goes spewing about how broken psionics are because you have to tweak them, I tweak other classes, too.

Someguy

First Post
being able to tweak the classess is one of the best options of 3ED, it allows for more campaing specific funtionality.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases