coins wight

RObiN-HoOD

Explorer
How much does a pp, gp, sp, cp weight?
Is there an official rule about that?

I have the usual problem with PCs carrying thousands of GPs in the backpack etc.... these things do not make sense.

Any ideas?

(NO, they don't have a bag of holding and I don't intend to give them one! ;->

(please offical rules only, if possible state book/page)

Caliban

Rules Monkey
princedom said:
How much does a pp, gp, sp, cp weight?
Is there an official rule about that?

I have the usual problem with PCs carrying thousands of GPs in the backpack etc.... these things do not make sense.

Any ideas?

(NO, they don't have a bag of holding and I don't intend to give them one! ;->

(please offical rules only, if possible state book/page)

PHB, page 96, Coins, last sentence: "The standard coin weighs about a third of an ounce (fifty to the pound)."

PHB, page 146 has picture of a gold piece that is the exact size it is in the game.

Deadguy

First Post
Money is Heavy

Yes, it is quite important to keep track of that money weight. If you want to add some verisimilitude (I love that word!) then you can charge them for converting coins of one type into another. I use this for my own campaign and PCs do care about how they receive their money! They even specify when taking on tasks what form they want their pay in. In fairness, I have added in a formalised system of gems, so that there is a lightweight way to carry large sums, but these cost to purchase.

I appreciate it's too much detail for some DMs and players, but even they have commented that they like the feel of having to think about their money rather than it being an amorphous pool.

hong

WotC's bitch
Re: Money is Heavy

Deadguy said:
If you want to add some verisimilitude (I love that word!)

H.G. Nelson: Thank you Roy, and welcome back, viewers, to the Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil, or Arteeteetee'o'ee'ee for short, live here at the House of Monte. Think they could have shortened the title at all, Roy?

Roy Slaven: Not really, H.G. See, Wizards don't have Gary Gygax anymore, but they still have to deal with the legacy he left behind. And that legacy can be summed up very succinctly, H.G. -- syllables. Lots and lots of syllables. He was one for the polysyllabic words, was our Gary. But he isn't here anymore, that's the problem. Only he could use syllables in the way he did, the way they flowed off the tongue, but his legacy is that gamers everywhere demand, yes DEMAND, H.G., that D&D products must use lots and lots of syllables regardless. Because gamers are a discerning lot, you know. So the designers have taken the next best route: instead of using a few words with lots of syllables each, they've used lots of words with a few syllables each.

-- from Roy and H.G. do RttToEE, part 1

:D

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Coins Wight

Heh. Judging from the title, I could have sworn that this thread would be about a new monster... :D

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Said to be the undead remains of those greedy for wealth, the coin wight spends its existance searching for coin wealth. Coin value is irrelevant to the wights; they count only number. They defend their hoardes to the death, but will not attack those who leave their precious coins alone - unless they have coins of their own. There are evn stories of those who have been torn to pieces by coin wights because they smelled of coins, but these stories have yet to be verified.

COIN WIGHT
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Medium-size Undead
Hit Dice: 6d12 (39 hp)
Initiative: +0
Speed: 30 ft
AC: 16 (+6 natural)
Attacks: Slam +5 melee
Damage: Slam 1d6+3 and energy drain
Face/Reach: 5 ft by 5 ft/5 ft
Special Attacks: coin frenzy, energy drain
Special Qualities: locate coins, undead
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +2, Will +6
Abilities: Str 14, Dex 10, Con ---, Int 6, Wis 13, Cha 14
Skills: Climb +3, Listen +10, Move Silently +18, Search +17
Feats: Skill Focus (Search)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Challenge Rating: 4
Alignment: Always neutral evil
Treasure: Quadruple coins, no goods, no items

Locate Coins: The coin wight has an amazingly acute sense of smell that detects only coins. A single gold, silver, or copper coin can be smelled at 15 feet; 10 coins can be smelled at 30 feet, 100 at 65 feet; 1000 at 150 feet, 10,000 at 320 feet, and so on. If the target is within one third of its detection distance, the wight can pinpoint its location.
Coin Frenzy: When a coin wight smells new coins for two consecutive rounds, it flies into a berserk rage the following round, attacking until its opponents are dead or drop their coins. A frenzied coin wight gets +4 to its Strength and -2 AC. The coin wight cannot voluntarily end its frenzy.
Energy Drain (Su): Living creatures hit by a coin wight's slam attack recieve one negative level. The Fortitude save to remove the negative level has a DC of 15.
Undead: Immune to mind-influencing effects, poison, sleep, paralysis, stunning, and disease. Not subject to critical hits, subdual damage, ability damage, energy drain, or death from massive damage.
Skills: Coin wights recieve a +8 racial bonus to Move Silently and Search checks.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Hypersmurf said:
Go on, now do the Cookie Monster... :)

No, I'll have to leave that to someone else...

Attachments

• cookie.jpg
    cookie.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 113

Remove ads