Game of Death

Zan Thrax

First Post
Here's the rules as they currently exist.
Remember, the idea is that the current DM can restrict things as desired, and add things like 1 or 2 round delay-announcements, or restrict invisibility and obscuring mist spells.

ENWorld Game of Death Rules

Definitions
  • GAME of DEATH: An arena style combat between ten characters that are created specifically for the single combat.
  • Current DM: The DM for a specific GAME of DEATH, or the DM for the next GAME of DEATH when there is no active GAME of DEATH. If there are multiple games of death in progress, each will have its own Current DM

Player Queue

The queue will be filled on a "first posted, first served" basis — a character is not required, merely a statement of interest, preferably in this thread or in an e-mail to me. Requests to be added to the queue anywhere else may go unnoticed. Names will be added to the queue according to the timestamps on e-mails and posts.
When a match is concluded, the match's winner and DM are placed at the top of the queue.
If a player drops out or fails to submit a valid character before the character submission deadline then the queue is advanced and the top alternate becomes a player.
If a player fails to supply a character of any sort before the deadline, that player is moved to end of the queue and their name is marked with an asterisk (*). If a player whose name has been marked with an asterisk fails to submit a valid character a second time, they are simply removed from the queue and must rejoin at a latter time if they regain interest. Failing to fix an invalid character does not cause a player's name to be marked. This is meant only to prevent players who have forgotten about the GAME of DEATH from remaining in the queue indefinately, not to punish those who are actively trying to play.

New Match

When the queue reaches sufficient length (at least 15 players is reccomended), someone may start a new Game of Death.
Players for a new match are drawn from the top of the player queue.
The current DM may grant one spot to any person, regardless of position or presence in the player queue.
When a new match is started, it is suggested that the first fifteen players or so submit characters. This allows quicker starts when some of the players do not submit characters on time.
When a new match is being set up, the Current DM will make character creation and match rules available, either in a new Fight Club thread, or on an outside webpage. The Current DM will also provide a map of the arena at some point before the first round begins.
The match itself will occur in a Fight Club thread, although players may email moves to the Current DM if they do not want other players to know what they're doing.

General Rules

The DM’s Call

The Current DM has the final word on any and all rules for the current match, and may waive/alter/change these as he sees fit prior to the start of the match. The players must trust the DM in this form.

Rulebooks

In all matches, the Current DM will specify which books are allowed. In all cases, the most current erratta as per the black page will be used.

The Spread of Information

If you do not own the pertinent rules book (no T&B, MaF, or whatever) to create the character of your dreams, do not ask anyone to post the feat/prestige class/spell. BUY THE BOOK.

Character Creation

Characters must be created using the point buy ability score method (see DMG p. 20), with points set by the current DM when the new thread is posted.

Experience

The Current DM will declare base experience when the new thread is posted. Experience used for item creation and multiclass penalties must be accounted for. The current DM may restrict the amount of experience available for item creation when the new thread is posted.

Races

PHB only is considered default. The Current DM may expand or restrict race selection when the new thread is posted.

Classes

PHB only is considered default. The current DM may expand or restrict class selection when the new thread is posted.

Prestige Classes

Any prestige class from the permitted rulebooks are allowed by default, if a character can legally qualify. The current DM may expand or restrict prestige class selection when the new thread is posted.

Feats

All feat requirements must be met; this includes regional requirements for regional feats.
The current DM may ban any feat for any reason.

Hit Point determination

There are three different methods to determine your character's hit points:

• Maximum: Just like it says; Maximum hit points!
  • LGG: Max at first level, then half your Hit die +1. Thus, a barbarian gains +7 hp per level beyond the first (d12/2)+1=7
    (For the mathematically challenged: d12=7, d10=6, d8=5, d6=4, d4=3)
  • Average: Max first level, then average hit points per level. Round down!
    (For the mathematically challenged: d12=6.5, d10=5.5 d8=4.5, d6=3.5, d4=2.5)
The exact method of Hit Point determination will be declared by the current DM when the new thread is posted.

Starting Wealth

Ignore any bonus items/money gained from FR regions, unless the match is a pure 1st level FR match…
Starting wealth is otherwise decreed by the DM, using the DMG as a baseline.
All monetary expenditure must be acurately accounted for.

Spells

Spells from any of the allowed rulebooks may be used. The current DM can restrict spell availability.

Suggested Spell Modifications

Harm has a fort save for 6d6 +1 per caster level damage.
Summon Spells summon only those creatures listed in the PHB. Players choice.
All polymorph spells are banned.

Identifying a Spell Cast

Spells can be identified as per the standard Spellcraft rules. If a character witnesses a spell being cast, a Spellcraft check will be automatically given by the Current DM. If the check succeeds, the player will be notified.

Magic Items

Item Creation

Standard experience and gold cost.
You may NOT produce a less than fully charged item.

Purchasing Items

Any item specifically listed in any of the allowed rulebooks may be purchased, no other items may be purchased. As with all other rules, the current DM may restrict the allowed items.

Identifing looted items

All magic items may be identified through the standard rules in the DMG.

Wands

Wands have their command words written on them in a language from the PHB. Both the word and the language are chosen by the original owner. Wands' original owners are assumed to know the command word on the wand regardless of the language of the command word.

Potions

Potions can be labelled (or not) at the original owner's discretion. If the original owner fails to specify, then they are assumed to be labelled. If a character has multiple unlabelled potion types, the player must explain how the character can tell them apart quickly.

Companions/Mounts/Familiars/Cohorts/Followers

As per standard rules. Any such beings are teleported to the same or adjacent location (as appropriate) as their character. If a character falls to -10 hit points (is dead), all such beings remain in the arena and suffer whatever effects that the standard rules dicate.

Cohorts and Followers

Cohorts and Followers are NPCs under the DM’s control. Characters can give orders to their Cohorts and followers, who can be expected to obey. If not given specific orders, they will act as they see fit to aid the character's chances of success. The current DM may restrict cohorts and followers.

Invalid Characters

In all cases, Invalid character aspects are pointed out to the player, who can submit a corrected character. Any player whose character remains invalid at the character submission deadline will be replaced by an alternate.

General Match Rules

Prelimiary preperation

All characters begin with no spells in effect. The current DM may give players a partial action, a full round, or more to make preperatory actions before they are teleported into the arena.
After any preliminary actions are complete, the players are teleported to the arena.

Arena

Arena size and design is completely up to the Current DM.

Starting Location

Starting locations are up to the current DM, but semi-random or reverse initative player choice is suggested.

Initiative and Actions

Once any pre-teleportation actions are complete, initiative order is determined and displayed. Once the current DM posts the initial situation, the first character has 24 hours to e-mail their action to the DM, and the DM will then post the situation again, describing all changes that are apparent to all players. The DM will e-mail information that only certain characters will have access to. (i.e. what spell was cast should only be told to those characters who succeed at spellcraft checks.) At this point, the next character has 24 hours to e-mail an action to the DM.
The current DM can alter the maximum wait time per action; this is not recomended however, as it will restrict the game to only those players who spend all day at their computers, and make it difficult for players from different continents to play the same game.

In-game display

The Current DM will include a link to a webpage that will display the arena and a list of visible information on the various characters. Each player will supply or be supplied with a 25 point by 25 point image for use on the map. Whatever the source of the artwork, accurate copywright notices and links to the owner's site(s), where appropriate, should be included on the battlemap pages.
Currently, Fiery Dragon has granted permission for the use of tokens based upon the artwork of Claudio Pozas. This applies only to that artwork which FD holds the copywright to. Should other companies and artists grant such permission, they will be added to this rules document.

Full disclosure

When the match is complete, the events of the match should be posted to the Story Hour thread by the DM so that everyone can know what exactly went on. The inevitable discussion should include determination of the next DM.

Scoring

There will be some minimal tracking of stats from the Game of Death matches. Ranking of players will be on a point system. Players will recieve:
  • 100 points for a win
  • 10 points for a kill
  • 1 point for each round their character survives

[color=sandy brown]
Code:
HALL OF FAME:

[b]     Player         Points     Wins    Matches   Kills[/b]
 #1  Green Slime      189        1        2        1
 #2  Angramainyu      142        0        1        7
 #3  Zan Thrax         46        0        1        1
 #4  Maddman75         21        0        1        0
 #5  Clockworkjoe      20        0        1        1
 #6  Kitoy             14        0        1        0
 #7  Dr. Midnight       6        0        1        0
 #9  Number47           4        0        1        0
 #9  Apoc_TGE           4        0        1        0
#10  Reapersaurus       3        0        1        0
#13  Demi-Lich          2        0        1        0
#13  Alzem Dalcama      2        0        1        0
#13  Dooby              2        0        1        0

MATCH HISTORY:

[b]    Winner        Character            Class & Level   # rounds[/b]
#1  Green Slime   Sigmund the Slayer   Cleric 4           72

CURRENT MATCHES:

[b]    Current DM   Status        Players           Character           Character Status[/b]
#2  [EMAIL=Macbrea@hotmail.com]Macbrea[/EMAIL]      [URL=http://www.enworld.org/messageboards/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4262]In Progress[/URL]   Dr. Midnight      Dr. Midnight        Dead
                               Mal2              Varus the Vile      Ready
    [b]Links[/b]                      Green Slime       Verdin the Vicious  Dead
    [URL=http://www.geocities.com/macbrea/GoD3Images/GOD2Round14.html]Map[/URL]                        Kitoy             Dondarrian          Ready
    [URL=http://www.geocities.com/macbrea/GoD3Images/GoD2CC.html]Rules[/URL]                      Single Malt       Single Malt         Ready
                               Agladan           Kanyano the Killer  Ready
                               Sollir Furryfoot  Garion              Ready
                               Number47          Dabbil              Dead
                               EvilEeyore        Vilhelm the Cruel   Ready
                               ClockworkJoe      Meme                Dead

DM QUEUE:
Green Slime
Kitoy

CURRENT QUEUE:
Macbrea
Piratecat*
Dekker*
Caliburn*
Seraph*
Galfridus*
Alzem Dalcama*
reapersaurus*
Demi-Lich*
MidKnight*
Zan Thrax*
Geoff Watson*
NiTessine*
MeepoTheMighty*
Daevin*
Twinswords*
DMT*
Rehab*
Andor*
Lawithro*
ShadowJester*
Impeesa*
Terwox*
Maddman75*
Joren*
Sir Hawkey*
JDragon*
Utrecht*
SableWyvern*
Wippit Guud*
Troll
Dalamar
Iku Rex
The_lone_gunman
Ryan Koppenhaver
cstrube
[/color]

Last edited:

Zan Thrax

First Post
This space for my current thoughts / comments on the Game of Death

Just so everyone knows, I'm going to be using the name Agnostic Paladin from now on; I'll only be logging in as Zan to edit the queue.

Last edited:

Macbrea

First Post
Ack!. Ok, wander home for the weekend and the boards up and change on me again. Darn. Ok, lets do a quick update on what we have at this time.

Character situation:

Dr. Midnight (Character Needed)
Belaim (Character Needed)
Green Slime (Character item clarification needed)
Kitoy (Character Approved)
Single Malt (Character Approved)
Agladan (Character Needed)
Sollir Furryfoot (Character Recieved, (Items still needed))
Number47 (Character Approved)
EvilEeyore (Character Needed)
ClockworkJoe (Character Approved)

Ok, notes on what I have here. Character Needed says I have not recieved a character from the person at all. Character Approved says I have recieved the character and reviewed it. It is ready for play. I need to have everyone post on this board to make sure you where able to keep your same user names. If you user name has changed I need to change what it currently is listed in my list. I would love to get the game started soon, so if people would be kind enough to send in character please do.

Macbrea

First Post
Ok, good to see I haven't exactly lost anyone so far. Darn silly board changes keep messing with me. When, I get an approved character you will recieve link back to your character. This so that everyone understands which character I am using on my end. Once, the game starts. I will be using stats listed from that character. At the end I will be posting a stat block for each character and information on things that may have happened in the background. That way people can figure out exactly what happened to them.

Macbrea

Number47

First Post
Was anyone else out there really tempted to run a Barb1/Bard1/Cleric1/Druid1/Ftr1/Monk1/Ranger1/Rogue1/Sorceror1/Wizard 1?
Lots of first level spells, that's for sure!

Oh, and BUMP!

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
Number47 said:
Was anyone else out there really tempted to run a Barb1/Bard1/Cleric1/Druid1/Ftr1/Monk1/Ranger1/
Rogue1/Sorceror1/Wizard 1?
Lots of first level spells, that's for sure!

Oh, and BUMP!

That would be a lousy character, 47!

No, you'd definitely want to swap out a level of bard for a level of paladin. Get those good saves going on. Plus, you could detect evil, which would help you figure out which other 10th-level character you should kill first.

(I still have a character idea, but it's best at a sixth-level game. I was tempted, really tempted, to create a wall-of-force and cloudkill tweaker for this game, but since it's not an original idea, it wouldn't really be fun even if it won).

Daniel

Last edited:

Remove ads