Combat Calculator: comments and suggestions sought

Luke

Explorer
Hi,

I've expanded the creature "Attacks" section of my program into a full window that details the exact makeup of attacks and damage, automatically determined from all factors (feats, fighting style, magical enhancement, other magical enhancement from items, masterwork, current conditions - if used in-game etc).

There is a sample screen and some notes at http://www.enworld.org/roleplayingmaster/combat_calc.html .
The example presented is for one of the more difficult cases ( the off-hand of a 2 weapon attack, using a magical weapon with different feats etc taken into account). The window displayed has been made bigger from the default, to show all the different attack and damage modifiers.

I'm very keen to get any comments or suggestions for this. :)
For example, is enough information detailed, or is more required. Is the layout reasonably easy to comprehend (given the complexity of detail presented).

For game preparation, the final attack and damage seen is what would appear in the printed statblock (so leave Power Attack and Expertise points at 0, for example, if that's what you expect from a statblock).

Note that you don't need to enter any of the details yourself. They are built up from the database. You simply equip weapons (and other equipment), magically enhance them (if required), and RPM works out the rest for you.

Thanks in advance,

Last edited:

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Since no one else has seen fit to respond, I guess you're left with me. :)

It looks to me like most of the information comes up automatically, while the "Options Selection" takes an extra step (as a second pop-up). Isn't this backward? I'd think that once people see that RPM works correctly (which will first require it to work correctly ;)), they'll be much more interested in how to add PA and Expertise than seeing exactly how it breaks down.

What about 2WF without Ambidexterity? Does RPM correcty give the off-hand (only) a -4?

Hard question: What about multi-limbed creatures? Can RPM handle a xill wielding 2 greatswords? This is even more complicated than "normal" TWF.

Questions only slightly related to the matter at hand:
Is there any support for hover or right-click help planned? That is, right-clicking Crit Rng/Mult and getting a pop-up that says "Critical range and multiplier; a longsword, for example, would be represented as 2 (19-20 is 2 numbers)/x2.
How much internal customization is possible with the names? I don't want "Sword, Short" - I want "shortsword". I don't want "Chain (Spiked)" if I can have "spiked chain". What if I wanted "mw" instead of "Masterwork"?

Luke

Explorer
Since no one else has seen fit to respond, I guess you're left with me. :)
Well, it's only been a few hours, but your input in particularly welcome.

It looks to me like most of the information comes up automatically, while the "Options Selection" takes an extra step (as a second pop-up). Isn't this backward? I'd think that once people see that RPM works correctly (which will first require it to work correctly ;)), they'll be much more interested in how to add PA and Expertise than seeing exactly how it breaks down.
"Simple" question, and a lengthy explanation. Tell me if this line of thinking works for you...

You can use RPM for fully managed combat, or partially managed combat. If it's fully managed, then everything (PCs and NPCs/monsters) are stored and managed in RPM. If you're a player using RPM to manage your character at the table, or a DM using it to manage only your own NPCs and monsters, then it's partially managed.

For fully managed play, you could trust RPM to just manage the lot, but in partial management, you need to see the breakdown. It's not obvious here, but if you have a racial bonus against giants, or you are a ranger attacking a favoured enemy, you need to see the breakdown, and choose which apply.

The breakdown of AC is even more problematic. It's not difficult to get up to 8+ different components affecting total AC, but only certain components applying under different conditions (eg. flatfooted, attack form - melee/touch/range, attacked by brilliant energy weapons etc.)

Switching to the near future, imagine the attack represented in my standard skill check "Execute Action" window. The top modifiers (skill modifiers) are replaced by "ToHit" modifiers, and the bottom modifiers (DC modifiers) are replaced by the AC modifiers. You then process the attempt to attack, similarly to the attempt to perform a skill check. RPM has what it needs for the "Brialliant Energy" ability to go and switch off the appropriate AC modifiers, but you can still review the breakdown, and check modifiers that RPM has no knowledge of (such as "higher ground"), or simply override.

The "Option Selection" is always available, and necessary (in-game) to change your selections as required. Pretty much initial configuration for statblocks, or as required in-game.

What about 2WF without Ambidexterity? Does RPM correcty give the off-hand (only) a -4?
Sure. Nothing about this is hard-coded. The ambidexterity pops in with it's +4, if you're using 2 weapons, for the off-hand weapon. If you don't have the feat, you pay the heavier penalty.

Here's the expression code for the ambidexterity feat (in your familiar javascript):
function OnCalcWeapon( obj )
{
if( (obj.Attack.Style == 4) && obj.OffHand ) // {
obj.Mods.addMod( "Attack@Ambidexterity", 4, true );
}
}

Hard question: What about multi-limbed creatures? Can RPM handle a xill wielding 2 greatswords? This is even more complicated than "normal" TWF.
You always get me with something ;) I haven't yet coded in the multi-attack, 3+ limb creatures.

Is there any support for hover or right-click help planned? That is, right-clicking Crit Rng/Mult and getting a pop-up that says "Critical range and multiplier; a longsword, for example, would be represented as 2 (19-20 is 2 numbers)/x2.
Not sure what you mean. These are already displayed. I realize that I display 1 where we mean 20, or 3 where we mean 18-20. I use the number for convenience because "Keen" abilities can change them. I actually display them as expected in the statblock

How much internal customization is possible with the names? I don't want "Sword, Short" - I want "shortsword". I don't want "Chain (Spiked)" if I can have "spiked chain". What if I wanted "mw" instead of "Masterwork"?
Names are changeable. "Masterwork" less so (it's in code). Essentially, RPM is fully configurable in both it's code and it's database configuration.

Thanks,

Last edited:

Remove ads