Campaign ideas. Big or Little?

What do most DM's here prefer?

Do you like the campaign filled with lots of little stories and plots, some related and some not that make up a long story?

Or do you prefer the main theme that everything really revolves around, sure there are ocassional tangents but in the end there is a end all goal of the campaign.

I prefer the large single story. My favorite being the ancient truly evil diety that is either lost or imprisoned etc. The kind of God who has worshippers so sick and insane that just walking through one of their temples will make the PC's paranoid and sickened be thevery alien horror of the place.

Eosin the Red

First Post
Big.

All of my campaigns have defined goals (players may not know them). When those are met we move on, after wrapping up things that are important to the characters.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
I work with a lot of threads and take current events and add them to my games.

The stories are little things to begin with, local troubles. As levels go up the stories get larger and more involved with greather impact on things.

I do have a world view but it is really just an outline for my games.

I like to keep the overall plot hidden from them as long as possible. Though eventually one of the players will catch on from the various small hints.

EOL

First Post
Both

I've tried it both ways and of course the latter is more difficult, that's what I'm doing at the moment. The Dragons have decided to regain dominance over the world and everything else pretty much pales when the dragons have declared open war on everybody else.

Re: Both

What level magic world is it?

EOL said:
I've tried it both ways and of course the latter is more difficult, that's what I'm doing at the moment. The Dragons have decided to regain dominance over the world and everything else pretty much pales when the dragons have declared open war on everybody else.

R

Rubeus Hagrid

My game is still involved in an arc that began in 1984, with one of the original players still in the group. Its been through eleven groups and sub arcs, with the main arc encompassing three worlds, four other DM's campaigns, and a side spill into my Superhero and Star Trek games. So I suppose that's a vote for "Big". ;)

Agamon

Adventurer
It's gotta be big for me. Yes tangents are good, especially early on when the party's just getting its feet wet, but over all, there has to be an uber-plot point to it all. And the more it involves and intertwines with the PCs and their lives, rather than just unfolding around them, the better.

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
DocMoriartty said:
Do you like the campaign filled with lots of little stories and plots, or do you prefer the main theme that everything really revolves around?

Neither.

I like LOTS of BIG THEMES that everything revolves around.

What I mean is, my campaign is filled with great big horrible scary bad guys -- LOTS of them. And they're all trying to either take over or destroy the world, for their own nefarious purposes. So there's tons of plots, all of which are earth-shattering and none of which the party really has any chance of stopping. Heh.

I honestly have no idea how they're going to (or if they're going to) stop evil from destroying everything. My campaign may have a less-than-triumphant ending. Oh, well.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases