Dimensional anchor question

Dragonjester

First Post
In our last game our cleric tried to keep two creatures from coming across a gate by using Dimensional Anchor on the gate itself, the DM let him do it. I also DM a game (same group) but I don't believe that the spell can be interpreted that way. I think you can only target a creature or an object, and said creature or object would then be unable to pass through a gate. Which is the correct interpretation?

Dimensional Anchor

Abjuration
Level: Clr 4 , Sor/Wiz 4
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Effect: Ray
Duration: 1 minute/level
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: Yes (object)

A green ray springs from the character's outstretched hand. The character must make a ranged touch attack to hit the target. Any creature or object struck is covered with a shimmering emerald field that completely blocks bodily extradimensional travel. Forms of movement barred by the dimensional anchor include astral projection, blink, dimension door, ethereal jaunt, etherealness, gate, maze, plane shift, shadow walk, teleport, and similar spell-like or psionic abilities. It prevents the use of a gate or teleportation circle for the duration of the spell.

The dimensional anchor does not interfere with the movement of creatures already in ethereal or astral form when the spell is cast, nor does it block extradimensional perception or attack forms such as a basilisk’s gaze. Also, it does not prevent summoned creatures from disappearing at the end of a summoning spell.

Thanee

First Post
Basically I agree with you, but I can also see the other side. The spell is not very specific concerning this. So, if the DM decides to allow it this way, then it's fine.

Bye
Thanee

Grayswandir

Just a lurker
It all depends on whether a gate can be considered an 'object'. Personally, I would say no. Not only is it the manifestation of a spell rather than a normal object, it's a hole through reality - an absence rather than a presence. So far as I can tell, a dimensional anchor could be cast as normal, targeted on a creature on the other side of the gate, the ray travelling through the gate from the Prime to (e.g.) the Abyss and then the target not being able to travel via the gate from the Abyss into the Prime - an odd but AFAIK legal effect. Of course, the intention in this case was to stop both creatures from coming through, not just one.

LightPhoenix

First Post
Dimensional Anchor is very specific in stating what it can and can not affect. It says creature or object, Gate is spell. So dimensional anchor can't target it.

LightPhoenix

Cloudgatherer

First Post
Dimensional anchor prevents a creature or object from translocating, not shutting down a gate spell. See the manual of the planes for a few spells that deal specifically with shutting off a gate or portal.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases