Tower shields and cover

Arinon

First Post
Just looking for a little clarification on how tower shields operate.

I understand that when you use one you can basically choose how much cover you want and what effects the varying degrees of cover provide. What I'm not quite clear on is how often you can change how much cover you want. Is that just a free action?

If so doesn't that mean you can have no cover when you attack then full or 9/10 cover the rest of the time?

I got to thinking about this when I considered some of the potential uses for an Animated Tower Shield. It seems like this would be a rather nice item for the price. (+1 tower then +2 for animated)

And seeing as how you don't use your hands anymore might you be able to say, give yourself full cover from behind or the side? (I know the animated description says something like "as if you were wielding it" but the above seems like a natural extension of the animated ability)

RedShirtNo5

First Post
My recollection is that changing tower shield orientation is a free action, but you can only do it once per round on your turn.

Check out http://www.d20reviews.com/Eric/3ecombat.htm, which has a link to the errata from sage advice.

I'd have to check item creation section, but I would place a much higher market price than normal for an animated tower shield, precisely because of the advantages you are suggesting.

-RedShirt

Remove ads