Percentage of Original Material

What % of your campaign is written by you?

• 100% I write all my own stuff!

Votes: 19 19.8%
  • 75% A map here an NPC there not much

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • 50% Half my stuff half published adventures

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • 25% Mostly published material modified to fit

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • 0% I don't write anything, I don't have the time

Votes: 8 8.3%

EOL

First Post
What percentage of your campaign is written by you, the DM and what percentage of your map's, settings, adventures, NPC's and plots are written by someone else. Presumably WoTC or some other D20 publisher.

For myself I find that I end up using a lot of maps made by other people, and maybe borrowing an NPC here and there.

applenerd

First Post
Alas I used to write all my own stuff! My own campaign setting, adventures, everything! With my change in occupation however from college student to working person, I don't have the time that I used to to work on my own stuff. Ho hum! But it's been a bit of a blessing in disguise. I picked up RttToEE and my players and I are totally digging it! It's a barrel of monkeys fun!

EOL

First Post
I suspect that many of us have run into this problem as we get older. Not only did we have more time to create when we were young, but less money to buy published stuff even if we had wanted too.

I use mostly published stuff...:( I'm trying to change that somehow, but I just don't have the time. In a dream world, I could screw with the Realms so much that they wouldn't know what hit them...not that my group ever gets to play anymore...heh.

Emiricol

I buy a lot of stuff I dearly love but rarely use. My DMing style is too much improvisational, I suppose, or the PCs rarely do anything that lends itself to using a published module, or... I dunno. I use nearly all my own stuff, though I'd really love not to heh.

(Except the gods - I use the PHB gods due to limited time:)

Falcon

First Post
I use published stuff for inspiration, and transform it into the context of my campaign world. I examine the principles of the published stuff (Mostly Kenzer & Co., Sword & Sorcery, and WotC), and use that as a basis for both tailoring existing publihsed material and developing more of my own stuff.

Altalazar

First Post
I used to do mostly my own stuff, if not all. But time constraints now force me to use all published stuff, with some tweaking here and there, and a bit of a fit to the overall campaign. So I'm about 50/50 now.

Holden MaGroin

First Post
My group isn't able to get together as often as they could in the old days, so we're not really playing much of a continuing campaign. What we've done is create a "basic" character and we run them through published modules whenever we get together - adjusting the level as apropriate. I'm doing my best to keep it so we're moving up levels as we go (so they can keep magic items and stuff) , but we also hold on to all stats for each level in case we go back and do another 5th level adventure again (or whatever).

So, no time for the "in-between" stuff that makes up a campaign - we're just hitting published stuff and I'm loosly tieing them in.

-HM

Gargoyle

Adventurer
I made a promise to myself to use everything I buy, so I often take published adventures and modify them to fit my campaign world. But I tend to write original stuff to transition between adventure modules, and lately I haven't been buying a lot of advenutures at all.

A2Z

Explorer
Unfortunatly when I do run my own campaign I am forced to use published adventures. I simply don't have the time to write my own adventures. :(

Remove ads