Asgard #5: Layout Controversy

Asgard's New Layout: Which version do you prefer?

• Version 1 is the best!

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Version 2 is the best!

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • I'll reserve judgement until I see the other versions.

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • I don't like either version, and probably don't know how to read, anyway! :)

Votes: 3 17.6%

Kaptain_Kantrip

First Post
Download both versions of Asgard #5 here:
http://www.d20reviews.com/asgard.htm

I DLed both versions of Asgard #5 and here's my two coppers:

Version 1 is really, really pretty (even classy, I daresay!), yet still easy on the eyes. It makes the pages virtually come alive and practically forces me to read it cover to cover! Even though I didn't find anything useful inside (aside from a couple reviews), it sure looked professional (bad cover painting and interior art aside, though the layout guy did what he could with it expertly, especially on the cover). I recommend going with this layout designer.

Version 2 is a big improvement over past issues; it is easy on the eyes but too simplistic. It lacks the flash of version 1.

Last edited:

Terraism

Explorer
On the subject of Asgard, though Morrus says there are no differences other than layout in the versions (as I understand it,) it seems to me that there are... at least, I'm almost certain that there are reviews of different products in the two versions. At first I thought it was just the order, but after doing a search... anyone else notice this, or is it just me? I haven't even read further, because I'm slightly confused with this as-is. Anyone?

Edit - nope, I'm not confused. One version contains the following reviews:
  • Seas of Blood
  • The Gryphon's Legacy
  • Arcana: Societies of Magic
  • Minions: Fearsome Foes
  • Castles & Keeps
  • Nightmares & Dreams II
  • Three Compleat Librum ov Gar
  • Of Sound Mind
The other contains
  • Magic of Rokugan
  • Arcana: Societies of Magic
  • Inn's and Taverns
  • Twilight of Atlantis
  • Seafarer's Handbook
  • Slayer's Guide to Sahuagin
  • Creatures of Rokugan
That pointed out, it seems the only review that is in both is Arcana: Societies of Magic. What am I not understanding here? Or is it a problem?

Last edited:

Kaptain_Kantrip

First Post
You are right! I noticed that too, but thought maybe I just missed them in the other version due to layout differences. Nice to see I'm not going crazy after all! :D

fba827

Adventurer
hold yer horses :)

I've only taken the time to download one of the two versions - will download the other later. - - My connection speed is 22KB/S (yes, not even 24 ;-) so it takes me a while when I am going to actually download pdf files)

But, that personal fact aside, the poll would probably be better if reserved until after the other copies are out.

Since you can only vote in a poll once and all. And it would seem unfair to judge 1 and 2 and then have the 'winner' between those two judged against 3, 4 and then have the winner of that next poll judged against 5. Not an exact example of what's going on, but I would think it unfair if it did end up playing out like that. :)

But, yeah, I'll def. give my input after I've had a chance to look at the ones available thus far. :)

SkeletonKey Ed

Explorer
I'm reserving my comments until after I have seen all 5 versions. I have also only downloaded one of the two available so far.

Any idea when the others will be available? Another factor in the layout artist selection process should be wether or not they can meet their deadlines. Ultimately, that won't be for us to decide.

Ciao - Ed

omedon

First Post
I downloade 3 versions yesterday. They were then taken down and only the first 2 were posted. This makes sense because the 3rd ones art was very pixelated and must have been messed up some how.

What I would like to know is, were there any changes to the first 2 versions or are they identical to the ones that were posted yesterday?

DMaple

First Post
Covers
Version 3's cover is terrible, why waste all that space with some stupid empty blue space when you could have a full page illustration? You end up with a postage stamp in a sea of blue space.

Borders
I don't like the edge border on version three the way it jumps from side to side. That's only worth while if you can do double-sided printing, since most people are unlikely to have a duplex printer or even print out a full copy it is just distracting. Version 1, has a simple red border at the top which I prefer although obviously its going to use up the red ink on my printer if I want to print a page. Also the page numbre jumps from left to right, I think it would be better at the centre since you don't know how a person is going to print it and reading on the screen it is a pain.

Content Page
Version 1 also has a 'hyperlinked' contents page which is very handy. Although I prefer the layout of version 3's content page with illustrations to highlight topic, its just lazy not to hyperlink it and use the technology.

Size
Version 3 is 4 extra pages probably due to its use of fonts and illustrations, although perhaps due to different content. Either way I don't think it will effect my choice much, as I'll just print what I need. What will effect my decision is the fact its nearly twice the file size even for the smaller download. The larger download is very heavy for anyone using dial-up.

Conculsions
So inconclusion can I have the cover, borders and hyperlinks of version 1, with the style and use of fonts of version 3.

If I had to pick one it would be version 1, as substance and ease of use is better than style IMHO. But I'll reserve judgement until I see some more.

Whoever wins could they should take on-board some of my ideas, especially regards hyperlinking, and not having anything jumping from left to right. This is an online publication you should make use of the technology, not try to force someone to print it in a certain style, and make it easy to read on the screen.

Edited to reflect change in version number order.

Comments on the new Version 2 to follow.

Last edited:

DMaple

First Post
Version 1 (Screen) is 1.22 MB
Version 1 (Print) is 6.42 MB
Version 2 is 776 Kb

So size wise Version 2 is better as well.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases