Bugbear Combatants & Non-Combatants

FCWesel

First Post
My players should stay out of this thread.

In the R.MM it lists the Bugbear as having 150% noncombatants in a "lair setting". This seems somewhat odd to me. I would think that females would be able to fight *at least* half as good as the average Bugbear, children bugbears would seem to be atleast goblin or kobold caliber fighting forces and the elderly bugbears at least as good as hobgoblin (if not out-right killed off by the younger males).

My PCs will be having to do a minor rescue of some people that are being held prisoner (future dinnerparty "guests") by Bugbears.

The encounter is meant to be *very difficult*, and one of those encoutners where the PCs will have time to plan and set-up thier "attack".

Here's what they are looking at going against, its a EL10-11.

1 Bugbear cleric 3 of malar (leader)
10 Bugbears
10 Bugbear "non-combat" (think goblins)
4 Worgs

Thoughts?

jgsugden

Legend
I've never been a huge fan of the EL system. It gets you a starting point, but trusting it blindly leads to problems.

The difficuty of this battle depends upon the PCs. If they have ACs of 24 or above (19 above the AB of the bugbears), the bugbears will have trouble hurting them at all. A single fireball or ice storm will likely kill most of them.

If it is EL 10-11 and it is intended to be very hard, I'm guessing you're looking at a 7th level party. A properly buffed and healed 4 PC 7th level party with average equipment and ACs in the mid 20s should be able to win this battle if they use average tactics. If they go in unprepared or lack good ACs, it could be a slaughter for the bugbears.

Thanee

First Post
A single 7th level wizard will make short work of the Bugbears, if prepared properly. A buffed-up fighter (backed by a cleric) will wade through these like a knife through butter.

Doesn't quite seem like a "very hard" encounter. ;)

Bye
Thanee

Thanee

First Post
Ok, a 4th level group will have problems! ;)

They lack any decent area attacks, therefore have to cleverly plan their attack. Should be manageable, tho, but they'll need some luck and a good position or a really good plan.

Bye
Thanee

Jhyrryl

First Post
FCWesel said:
The group is 4th level.
Ouch.

You're looking at an encounter that's off the charts. From 3.5 DMG pg. 49:
Encounters with more than a dozen creatures are difficult to judge....
If I had to rate it, I'd put it at closer to an EL 12-13.

The worgs alone are a challenging encounter. The canine trip ability is highly underrated, especially if you play their pack hunting tactics properly. CR 3 dire wolves have given 6th-8th level PCs in my campaigns (<--- plural), and other campaigns that I've played in, cause for serious concern in the right numbers, and that was before they had weapon focus (bite). Played as a pack who all go after the weakest opponent (their natural behavior), those worgs will take down a wizard or rogue who manages to get too far away from the rest of the PCs.

Stack 10 standard bugbears and a CR 5 leader on top of that, and you're looking at an encounter that the PCs are almost guaranteed to need to back off of, if they actually know how to play. If it's newbies, you could easily see a TPK if you're not pulling punches.

Now split this group out into multiple encounters, ending with the cleric, 2 standard bugbears, and 2 worgs, and you've got yourself the makings of a great little mini-adventure. And even that may be too strong of a finish for the PCs to handle if you're talking 4 PCs of level 4.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases