Can Spikes (DotF) stack with Shillelagh ?

Chacal

First Post
The Barbarian/Druid IMC would love that, but I'm not so sure.

Would you allow them to stack ? in any order ?

Chacal

Grayswandir

Just a lurker
Shillelagh requires as its target "One touched nonmagical oak club or quarterstaff". Thus it could not be cast on an object which is already affected by spikes. However, spikes takes as its target "one wooden weapon", so I don't see why it couldn't be cast on a shillelagh. The enhancement bonuses from the two spells would not stack, of course, but as far as I can tell everything else would. So your net result would be a +2 club with a threat range of 19-20 / x2, base damage of 1d10, and inflicts an extra amount of damage per hit equal to your caster level.

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
I don't have my books here, but I thought that both Shillelagh and Spikes provide an enhancement bonus.

If so, then you should end up with a +2 weapon that does 1d10 +caster's level in damage.

If, however, they provide different sorts of bonuses, then you'll get a +3 weapon that does 1d10 +caster's level +1 point of damage.

At any rate, it's a very nice combination for a combat-oriented druid. Especially if your DM applies a strict interpretation of the wildshape ability (no exceptional abilities and interative attacks treated as two-weapon fighting).

Daniel

Chacal

First Post
why wouldn't they stack?
Grayswandir explained it much better than I could have done.

So, I'll let the PC go with Shillelagh, then spikes. , For a +2 weapon doing D10 +caster level damage.

And yes, it's a nice combination: the last time he used it, he was an hasted, raging, happy druid :)

Thanks.

Chacal

Last edited:

SpikeyFreak

First Post
SPIKES!!!

Thank you guys, I have been looking for this spell. Can you make a scimitar with the magically hardened wood in FRCS, make it keen, have the improved crit feat, and cast spikes on it? Scarey.

--Smiling Wickedly Spikey

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
SpikeyFreak said:
Can you make a scimitar with the magically hardened wood in FRCS, make it keen, have the improved crit feat, and cast spikes on it? Scarey.

That would depend on interpretation. The spell requires the weapon have a "wooden striking surface". Is an edge a striking surface? Some might say yes, others might say no.

Last edited:

Grayswandir

Just a lurker
Well, spikes is "as brambles", which states the following:

Small magical thorns or spikes protrude from the surface of a wooden weapon, such as a club, greatclub, nunchaku, or quarterstaff. For the duration of the spell, the weapon deals both piercing and bludgeoning damage.
While the Target is only "wooden weapon touched", the spell implies that the weapon must be of type Bludgeoning. Of course, out of the PHB and DotF, I don't think there exist any wooden weapons that aren't Bludgeoning.

Of course, from a non-rules perspective, the rationale behind the spell is that a spiky club hurts more than a smooth club. But I don't see that adding spikes to a blade would really make it hurt more - it would just interfere with the swing. So I would have to rule no.

Remove ads