Sling usage

Li Shenron

Legend
These doubts have just come out to me, as I am starting to DM a new group of PCs, and my previous players never used slings.

1. How many hands do you need to use a sling? How many to load it?

My first impression would be to use it in one hand and load it with two, but in PHB description it is not clear.

2. How long does it take to load a sling?

I always supposed no time at all (included in the attack action), but in the DMG tables for NPC characters, the NPC who use a sling always list one attack with it at any level.

3. A Druid is forbidden to use any projectile weapon other than a sling. Does an Elf Druid get a proficiency with bows?

My opinion is no, he is forbidden to use bows. But if he is in trouble and uses a bow (losing his druidic powers for a while) does he get the -4 penalty?

Thanks!

Crothian

First Post
Loading a sling should be done with two hands, but firing it takes one. I guess you could load with one hand, but that would be difficult. I'd say loading it is a MEA since you have to get the rock or bullet out of your pouch. Hard to say though.

An Elf Druid knows how to use a Bow, but loses powers if they do. So, no -4 non proficient penalty.

hong

WotC's bitch
1) One to use, two to reload.

2) Free action, just like reloading a bow.

3) Yes, he gets the proficiency (automatic because he's an elf) but he isn't supposed to use it. If he does anyway, there's no nonproficiency penalty. No, it's not supposed to make sense.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Kershek said:
Don't you need two hands to use a sling? One to hold the sling's base and one to stretch the sling back?

That's a "slingshot" - a modern invention that requires elastic materials. A sling is a long thong with a pocket in the middle. You put a rock in teh pocket, hold the two wnds of the thong in one hand, whirl it about, and release one end of the thong at the appropriate moment, to send the rock sailing in the direction you want.

It really takes two hands to load, one to fire. Loading would take a free action, just like a bow, IMO.

And knowing how to do a thing doesn't mean you should actually do it - the elf has proficiency with bows, but by the core books cannot use it without havig atonement issues. Ask anyone who gave up something important for Lent - religious vows can be a hindrance.

Romotre

First Post
Ok here's my two cents on the remaining topic. I think the sling was meant to be a one handed weapon. One hand to fire (duh) and one hand to load. Its not inconceivable that a person with enough expeirnce to have at least two attacks/round could reach into his sling pouch with one hand. You could grab it, throw it up and catch it with the sling, you could scoop it with the pouch, whatever. Since its a small (i think) weapon, and the PHB says nothign about it, I would allow the sling to be used one handed.

Vaxalon

First Post
I allow slings and hand crossbows to be loaded with a hand that is free but not available for weapons, such as with a small shield.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases