Spring Attack, Blink, Sneak Attack

dreaded_beast

First Post
This is a question I posed in another thread, but it was further down from the original purpose of the thread, so the title of that thread is different. Elder-Basilisk already answered in the previous thread, with a very informative answer. I am posing it here for others to answer.

if you made a character that had spring attack and the ability to cast the blink spell, would it be foolish NOT to take expert tactician and have a few levels in a class that offered sneak attack damage?

i say spring attack, because if you can cast blink, you have to be at least 5th level wizard or 6th sorcerer, which means you have some pretty low hit points. if for whatever reason you say yourself in melee alot, you probably would want to be the one hit wonder: get in, take a crack, and then get out.

taking that above example, if you played your character like that, why wouldn't you take expert tactician and a couple of levels of rogue for sneak attack?

If you have Spring Attack, then you have Dodge, Mobility, and a BAB of +4 or more.

A Wizard or Sorcerer would have to be 8th level in order to pull that off.

A multiclass character (say Wizard / Rogue) would also have to be 8th level (Wiz5/Rog3) to pull that off. At that level, on a succesful attack, the character will deal an extra 2d6 points of damage. Whoop-dee-do. Moreover, 20% of his hits will miss anyway.

So, this character (Wiz5/Rog3) can Blink for 5 rounds, all will probably end up doing an extra 8d6 points of damage, over the course of 5 rounds, to one particular enemy (Note that many creatures are immune to Sneak Attacks), while, say, an 8th level Wizard could have memorized 5 fireballs, and thus deliver 5 X 8d6 points of damage.

Even factoring Expert Tactician (after you have taken Combat Reflexes. We're now up to 5 feats (Level1, Human1, Level3, Level6, Level9, Level12 if not human), to add a couple of d6's to damage.

IMO, there are better (Power-wise) to play a character.

AR

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases