Speaking of Animal Companions... what about riding one?

Bobbystopholes

First Post
Are there rules about training, say, a brown bear animal companion to take a rider? I thought I had read something before. If so, how many trick "slots" does it take? I've looked in the DMG (pg. 46), in the PHB (Animal Empathy and Handle Animal), and chapter 2 of MotW. I didn't find anything that said it could or couldn't. Couldn't find anything in the MM.

Thanks.

Crothian

First Post
I think it would be like any other trick. Might be a little harder since bears aren't as easy to ride as say a horse. Not built the same way at all.

Bobbystopholes

First Post
I just thought to read the Ride Skill and it talks about riding an animal other than an equine. Looks like it can be done. They also have exotic saddle prices in the PHB, so I guess it can be done. I guess we can't have rules for everything ;)

Thanks!

Deedlit

First Post
Once I boost my handle animal skill, I will train my cheetah as a mount in one of my games.(I play a halfling in this game)

Bobbystopholes

First Post
Since I am a cleric with a ring of animal friendship, I don't have that skill. The way my DM lets me do it is I use a 2nd level slot and have "Speak with Animals" prepared pretty much all the time. When I get Persistent Spell, I'll have it up daily, commanding more and more animals ;)

It may take longer (or shorter since I speak to mine all the time) depending upon the DM. I will also buy a Collar of Cleverness with "Accept Rider" on it and this should make it almost immediate that I can ride him. "Calm" is definitely gonna be on that thing too. I just need to be sure to jump off of him before he stands up ;) That might hurt!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases