new grapple like ability

trentonjoe

Explorer
I gave this ability to a huge dire bear but I imagine it could work with anything.

THis would only work after a monster had grappled something.

Swat (Ex): The bear can throw a grappled creature 1d6 + str modifier feat away. The thrown creature takes 1d6 points of damage for each 10 feet thrown and must make a fortitude check versus the amount of feet thrown. Failure indicates the thrown creature is stunned for one round. Either way the thrown creature is prone.

Suggestions?Comments?

Maerdwyn

First Post
Looks good, although I'm not sure you need both the stun and the damage. What makes the damage suffered different from falling damage (also 1d6/10 feet, with gravity replacing the force of the bear's throw), for example?

trentonjoe

Explorer
Maerdwyn said:
Looks good, although I'm not sure you need both the stun and the damage. What makes the damage suffered different from falling damage (also 1d6/10 feet, with gravity replacing the force of the bear's throw), for example?

I kinda house ruled that falling damage forces a Fortitude check to avoid being stunned. I don't know why YOU didn't know that:D

I also play if you fail the first fortitude check you have to make another. If you fail that one you recieve an injury; either arm, leg or head. ROll d6
1- right leg
2- left leg
3-right arm
4-left arm
5-6- head

AN injury to a leg causes half movememt until cured; injury to arm means you can't use that arm; injury to head means you are -2 on all attack, damage, spot, listen, or any other thinking check.

these can only be cured by a healing spell of the level equal to the amount of feet you fall/10. For example a 40 foot fall that causes an injuried leg can only be cured by a Cure Critical WOunds.

Bed rest equal to 1 week per 10 feet will also remove the penalties.

This should probably be a new thread.

Maerdwyn

First Post
That makes sense, then.

Does the damage change at all if the distance a character is thrown is stopped short, by a wall or a tree, for example? How about by a very large pillow?

trentonjoe

Explorer
Yeah, I guess. If it shortens your fall it would lessen the damge.

As per the pillow, that just opens it up to a bunch of really bad jokes.

Maerdwyn

First Post
I guess I would suggest you not lessen the damage if the character hits an object with hardness - if you get thrown into a tree 3' away by an owlbear, I think it would hurt just as much (if not more) as it would if it hurled you ten feet and you landed on the ground.

Perhaps you base the damade on the potential distance of the throw, rather than the actual distance the character travels?

Or (another thought) - Since the thrown character isn't accelerting as he travels, how about d6+STR modifier for the damage?

Last edited:

trentonjoe

Explorer
YEah, I guess you're right. That makes sense. I guess if you hit something HARD it won't make a difference.

A tree would probably do the same damage but a bush would lessen the blow. Probably a judgement call on what you hit.

And to think I told Mrs. Ball in the 11th grade that I would never use physics again. I guess there is a first time for everything.:D

(edit)

YOur second comment is probably even better. YOu must have paid more attention to her than I did.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases