Did I make a mistake?

Creamsteak

Explorer
Did I make a mistake?

Last session, about two hours before we were actually going to start, one of the githyanki came over to work on his character.

We were starting anew with the campaign, and he went about rolling a similar character to his previous ones. Thirty minutes into his writing a background another player came in. This player made a similar character and desired to be his younger brother, which was fine with me.

A few hours later I was looking at everyone else's characters... 90% of them were humans, the other character chose a dwarven subrace (mountain I believe).

Two outsider characters and four players handbook races... I was befudled.

While I was looking over characters and discussing the campaign setting I had chosen to use, the Githyanki and rouge were outside talking. I could hear some conversation about, "I don't really feel like playing tonight," from the rouge and that both Githyanki broke up with their girlfriends simultaneously the day before and then got drunk.

I then decided I didn't want to have Githyanki characters at all for the sake of campaign stability. When they all came inside I asked them if they would use the character generator on my computer and make some simpler characters.

They said something, but I can't remember what. I know I didn't get to say anything back. They went outside.

After a few minutes one of them came in and grabbed his stuff and said he was leaving. I asked him why, knowing the answer already, "because you won't let us use our characters we spent two and a half-hours making." In his face, however, I read "I'm getting drunk because I am distraught."

I did not get to play this week. Someone asked I'm 17 and just had my birthday on the 19th. There was some talk about possibly playing, and I would have.

One of the players called me Saturday when we were supposed to play. He said that the Githyanki and Rouge were planning on playing with another DM (a person who I played with when I first started playing, but we had a falling out). He told me they would make plans with me and then break them to get wasted. I felt a bit disturbed and did not know what to say. I called Kevin, one of the three "bad eggs", but the one that I really don't feel betrayed by. He stated he had no idea, and I believed him. But both other players were already at his house. My friend that called me earlier was correct.

I have a little more to say, but I will post that after I get some response to just this material.

StoneAxe

First Post
If you mean by not letting the player run the character he had just finished creating a mistake then maybe. I was not there to judge. I think you really just created an excuse for them to leave. I believe that if you give the player the go ahead to create a character then you are obligated to let him run it at least until you can talk with the person about his characters affect on story line, game balance, and over all enjoyment.

Basically you need a commitment from the players and DM for a game to be enjoyed by everyone.

Sounds like your gaming friends are at the age where getting wasted is the second most important part of their life after self pity over their girlfriends.

Not much you can do when someone is that self absorbed.

BTW, as a rule I require a player to tell me race, class, and gender before creating the character so I can approve it. That way they don't waste their time and I don't have to waste mine trying to figure out why someone latest video game copied character can actually fit into my world.

Last edited:

Angelsboi

First Post
While i agree on the character issue, you nipped it in the bud before it began and thats wise. May i ask what level the characters were supposed to be and how long you have played with these people?

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
They sound like they're being a little tweakerlike -- but I do wonder how diplomatic you were about not letting them play their ridiculous characters.

At any rate, as long as you have folks to play with now, I think you should let it go. And if you don't have folks to play with, I think you're better off looking for some new gamers right now. Sounds like y'all could use a break from one another.

God, I hated adolescence. At least when coworkers are stabbing you in the back, they're not so *rude* about it :D.

Daniel

Daniel Knight

First Post
Yeah, I remember going through this. Yes, you did make a mistake in not letting them play the characters that you had all ready approved. I understand your motives behind it, it’s just you can’t really justify it if they haven’t caused problems yet. I know I’d be pretty upset hearing news that I couldn’t play the character. This however doesn’t mean that your friends have reacted in the correct way either. It’s just the time you guys are going through. I remember that it ended up being more “adult” pursuits such as getting drunk and bedded that eventually tore apart my old gaming group. Real life became more interesting then fantasy. There really isn’t anything you can do about it. Their splinter gaming group will end up caving in as well, and chances are you’ll all forget about role playing for the next three to five years. The best thing you can do, is find a gaming group of older players who have all ready gone through this. If you’ll soon be going to university this will be very easy for you to do. Otherwise I guess just put up a notice at your local gaming store.

Having written all this, take it with a grain of salt. This is just advice I can give based on my own experiences, and could be utterly wrong for you. Who knows, maybe it’ll all blow over in a couple of weeks and you’ll all end up being the best of friends again gaming into the wee hours of the morn.

God typing this message has made me feel old.

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Angelsboi said:
While i agree on the character issue, you nipped it in the bud before it began and thats wise.
I agree with Angelsboi... Also, do you have enough other players for your games to continue?

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Piratecat said:
Invite a githzerai to your next game. Githyanki always tend to get uppity, and that'll show 'em.
What Piratecat said, LOL. :D Just don't use mind flayers as enemies in that game or else they'll start to work together... ;)

A2Z

Explorer
DocMoriartty said:
Sounds like your gaming friends are at the age where getting wasted is the second most important part of their life after self pity over their girlfriends.

What!! Complaining about my girlfriend isn't the most important thing in the world! Oh my god, I've wasted my life! :eek:

:D

To address the question; no, I don't think it was a mistake. You have every right to try and balance out your game. Of course you probably should have decided what characters they could play before the game. Although it sounds like they really didn't want to play that night anyway.

[Edit: Added that last.]

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases