Orcs! Orcs! Orcs!

Hey, I just finished my little web-feature on the orcs in my campaign. It comes with a tribe generator, three templates for orcish mutants (the Bully, the Brute and the Blackblood) and some stuff about Orcish mounts. Come have a look!

Orcs! Orcs! Orcs!

StoneAxe

First Post
Great Job!

I was just starting work on the Orc Nations in my home brewed world and saw your post. You have saved me several hours work. Thanks :)

graydoom

First Post
From the webpage, templates section, Bullies and Brutes
Str +0, Dex -2, Con +3, Int +4, Wis +4, Cha +4
Str +5, Dex -1, Con +3
I didn't notice this before, but it needs to be fixed. Never, never give odd racial modifiers. Odd racial bonuses are as good as an even bonus one point higher, and odd penalties are as good as an even bonus one point higher. Apply either to an already odd score and you get a bit more of a modifier increase.
Always have even racial ability modifications. This makes the effect on the ability modifiers the same for all characters.

For example: A str 11, dex 15, con 13 (modifiers +0, +2, +1) character who applied the first changes I quoted would become str 16, dex 14, con 16, (modifiers +3, +2, and +3) having suffered no penalty from the -dex and having gained +3 from the +str and +2 from the +con (since the only attribute that actually affects thing is the ability + or -, not the actual score. A 14 dex is as good as a 15 dex, because both are +2).

The reason

Well- there is a reason I did this. I understand the reasoning behind not giving odd-numbered stat adjustments for player character races.

And the reason I did it this way is because this is just a monster template- like 'Half-Dragon' or 'Fiendish'. It also makes the orcs type change to Large Giant which isn't the norm.

Then again, I just went through and looked at the other monster templates in the MM and I see they all have even-numbered stat adjustments. Oh well, I'll fix it when I get home from work.

:)

Gez

First Post
Peter, if you allow half-orcs and orcs to take Scent, Gnomes should as well (after all, they are the only race I know of that have a skill bonus because of their keen smell).

Since we're discussing orcs, here are my orcs from my homebrew world. Here, orcs call themselves "Kazten", which means something between "true warrior" and "valorous". Also, some places in my campaign world are conscious, and are nearly deity-like, intervening through miracles or mortal pawn. One of them is an orcish city. Enjoy !

The so-called Mountain Orcs are the standard orcs from the MM. They have that same dark brownish-greenish skin tone, similar to some stones.

Deep Orcs are orcs that live in the Far Netherworld (or Deep Underdark, if you prefer). They are like standard orcs, except they have Darkvision 120 ft., Spider Climb once per day (a recent addition, after having seen a certain movie), and spell resistance 8+character level. Their light sensitivity is stronger, and they suffer a -2 penalty to attack rolls, and a -1 penalty to all skill checks and saving throws, in bright sunlight or within the radius of a daylight spell. They have a sickly pale white-green skin color, like some albino fishes of the caves.

Steppe Orcs are more brown than mountain orcs, and they have slightly oversized legs (something like 15% longer than "normal" proportions). They are nearly like normal orcs, except they don't have vulnerability to sunlight, that they have the Endurance feat as a racial trait, that their base speed is 40 ft. (which logically improve to 50 ft. when they're barbarians), and their average ability scores are Str 15, Dex 10, Con 15, Int 8, Wis 7, Cha 7. They are weak-willed and easily controlled by any one who seems badass and autoritary enough.

The Grey Orcs are the most dangerous of the orc breeds. They are similar to standard orcs, except that their alignment is "Usually lawful evil", and their average ability scores are Str 15, Dex 10, Con 11, Int 11, Wis 10, Cha 11. They also don't have light sensitivity, as they live mostly in their surface city of Kaztengarken, which means both "orcish jewel", "true stronghold" and "city of the valorous", and in the nearby Laëlmore forest and Kaztenland steppes. They have enslaved the near totality of the Steppe Orc tribes, and use them as fireball fodder for their war. They have a dull grey skin, and wear masterwork shining armors.

A rare occurence among the Grey Orcs, Black Orcs are Grey Orcs with their eyes totally, utterly black. They are always Grey Orcs born from a Grey Orc mother who stayed for the whole pregnancy in the city of Kaztengarken. They are in fact orcs possessed by the spirit of the city, which use them to further "her" ambition of growing until it covers the whole world. Black Orcs are like Grey Orcs, except their average ability scores are Str 15, Dex 12, Con 13, Int 12, Wis 13 Cha 15, and they have the following psionic spell-like abilities at will: steadfast gaze, charm person, detect psionics and know direction; as well as the following psionic combat mode at will: ego whip, intellect fortress, mental barrier and psychic crush.

Last edited:

Thanks to all!

I have also made the changes that were pointed out by Graydoom. I didn't realize that the even numbered stat increases should apply to monster templates as well as the races, but after I checked out the templates in the MM, I see that this is exactly how it's supposed to work. So it's all fixed. =) I'm glad to have this pointed out.

I was thinking of doing sort of a feature about genies as well, and maybe a few adventures.

I'm looking for both an editor, a fellow writer and especially an artist if anyone wants to help out. Everything I do is free, pretty much 100% open-game-license stuff, so it's not like a business or for-pay type of deal ( at least not yet!). Would anyone like to work with me on stuff?

Well, I guess I could go troll on Elfwood for an artist. I saw some people that looked pretty talented there the other day.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases