[OT] QUILLS: Marquis de Sade madhouse movie!

Kaptain_Kantrip

First Post
Damn, just saw this on HBO and QUILLS is one sick puppy! The Marquis de Sade (Geoffrey Rush) writes dirty books from his cell in the asylum, smuggling them out through the chambermaid (Kate Winslet from Titanic) to his publisher... Meanwhile, the priest running the madhouse (Joaquin Phoenix from Gladiator) tries to "save" both their souls and his own... Bad news arrives in the form of the sadistic doctor (Michael Caine) sent by Napoleon to censor the Marquis salacious stories. Based on a play and loosely on historical fact.

Great guillotine scene from the Reign of Terror (Mort aux Tyrants!)

Kate Winslet shows off her ample assets in a topless love scene''

Geoffrey Rush is fantastic as the depraved Marquis, who refuses to let himself be censored, no matter the cost to himself or those around him.

A great cast, great story, great historical fiction, though it has little to do with the reality of the Marquis, choosing instead to portray him as the ACLU's "ultimate poster boy for free speech." I saw this film twice and loved it. It also could provide some inspiration for your D&D game... what kind of inspiration, I dare not say! :D

Here is a link to the HBO schedule for the nexty showings of QUILLS (you can also buy it on DVD or rent it).

http://www.hbo.com/NASApp/schedule/ScheduleServlet?ACTION_DETAIL=DETAIL&ID=80619

bondetamp

First Post
I've read Justine, by the Marque and good fun was had doing it. As far as I understood he was in jail or asylums most of his life and was quite the bitter man. Something that does show in his writings.

I'll have to watch out for this movie. :)

psionotic

Kaufman...

I havent' seen Quills yet, but two of Phillip Kaufman's previous films, "The Unbearable Lightness of Being" and "Henry & June" are two of my favorites. I have been meaning to pick up Quills too, so thanks for reminding me!

Droogie

Explorer
I saw the film and I don't remember Kate Winslet showing her ta-tas.

Entertaining film, tho.

"AAhhhg! My beautiful prose filtered through imbeciles!! WHo knows, they might improve it!"

Kaptain_Kantrip

First Post
Now that's a damn SPOILER if ever I saw one. Yes, it was, and you also get a side view while she's still alive in the infirmary (after Michael Caine has her publicly whipped for aiding the Marquis in his writing).

DMG

First Post
Good old Geoffry Rush eh! He's good at playing the mental ones...look at Shine! Yessir, us Ozzies are good at playing psycho...

The Marquis was certainly one sick little puppy. I saw the movie on DVD a year ago. Some perverted part of me made me watch it twice. Mwahahaha.

Kaptain_Kantrip

First Post
He did a great job doing a Vincent Price impression throughout that stink-bomb remake of William Castle's House On Haunted Hill a few years back (which originally starred Vincent Price). Damn, it was bizarre watching Rush play Price!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases