Spells by Tenser

DizzyKungFu

First Post
Has anyone seen any 3e versions of spells by Tenser (he's one of the famous wizards of the Greyhawk setting, formerly a member of the Circle of Eight)? Maybe something on the other Circle members' spells? In 2e, each of those archmagi had a plethora of spells named after them, but only a small percentage of these spells actually made the cut into the 3e PHB.

I'm particularly interested in Tenser's spells (some of the ones that never made it out of 2e are Tenser's Deadly Strike, Tenser's Eye of the Tiger, Tenser's Brawl, Tenser's Hunting Hawk, etc.). I'd also be interested in 3e conversions of other old Greyhawk spells by famous magi, such as Bigby (Bigby's Fantastic Fencers, Bigby's Pugnacious Pugilist), Mordenkainen (Mordenkainen's Faithful Phantom Shield Maidens, Mordenkainen's Encompassing Vision), and Otto (Otto's Soothing Vibrations, Otto's Sure-Footed Shuffle) to name a few.

If anybody knows anything about these or has done some 3e work with any of these type of spells, please let me know! Thanks!

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I strongly expect that there are copyright issues with translating those spells with name intact. Tenser's name is not covered by the OGL....

Voadam

Legend
There was also "Bigby's Feeling Fingers" in the hardcover.

There were a number of Named spells as well in April issues of Dragon over the years and in the Net spell compilations.

Dizzy, one of the PCs in my converted, 1e/2e to 3e campaign has Bigby's Feeling Fingers, Bigby's Force Sculpture, and Tenser's Hunting Hawk. It has not come up yet and he only ever used them for trading so we have not converted them yet. For the hunting hawk that would probably be the easiest because hawks are a core 3e monster in the srd and it seems fine for a 2nd level spell. Feeling fingers should probably be a cantrip at most.

With the new conversion policy I expect to see them all done in 3e terms sometime.

Alaric_Prympax

First Post
Not to start an argument

As my heading says I'm not trying to start an argument here but this is why I got/get upset when I heard/hear that WotC is not coming out with anymore GH specific works. A Magic of Oerth supplement could have covered all those things not covered in the Core Rulebooks dealing with all old GH stuff like the spells in question, Oerth specific magic items, artifacts (btw I liked the new LGJ in Dragon #294, once again good work there), etc. I know that I can adapt them as I see fit but some people don't what to go through all that, they are willing to spend their own money on work someone else did- we do it all the time when we buy any game product. I haven't look through Magic of Faerun in a long time but does anyone know if those spells are in that book? I know that there were monsters in Monsters of Faerun that were in the original 1e MM which was out long before FR ever was thought to be published; so its possible that there are spells that may be in MgoF that were in another source book in previous editions of our beloved game.

Once again I do not want to start an arguement over GH and FR. Sorry if anyone is offended.

Last edited:

Voadam

Legend
Magic of Faerun has some converted Forgotten realms spells but I did not recognize any spells from The Greyhawk book in there. Rary's Spell enhancer might have had an equivalent, but I don't remember off the top of my head. I think FR picked up that one for its own in 2e as it did some other setting spells like Dark sun's semipermanency.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases