Ranger, redux

Jared A. Sorensen

First Post
Last year I published a bunch of alternates to the ranger class in a web 'zine called RPGevolution. Sadly, RPGe is gone, but I decided to re-do the article. Before it was a collection of different styles of ranger, each suited to a non-forest terrain type (the article was called "Get out of the woods!"

The new version is more of a ranger toolkit. You can go with the standard ranger, customize it a bit or go full-out crazy-like with new features and spells. Rockin'.

http://memento-mori.com/d20/ranger.html

I also have other D&D3e stuff on my site.

- Jared

Duganson

First Post
Hello, Jared!
Quick question: Have you done any testing to these changes? The Horsemanship, Bareback, Animal Companion combo looks devistating at high levels...of course Ride-by Attack and Rapid Shot are not as hard to prereq for as Improved 2 weapon, how did these change the feel of those characters?
I really like the Domain Spells, though. Are these spells required to be prayed for once a day like Cleric Domains?

Thysl in Siver

Jared A. Sorensen

First Post
Thysl said:
Hello, Jared!
Quick question: Have you done any testing to these changes? The Horsemanship, Bareback, Animal Companion combo looks devistating at high levels...of course Ride-by Attack and Rapid Shot are not as hard to prereq for as Improved 2 weapon, how did these change the feel of those characters?
I really like the Domain Spells, though. Are these spells required to be prayed for once a day like Cleric Domains?

Hey, Thysl.

I never test my stuff...I don't really play RPGs nowadays(ick!). I just want for more of a "feel" than for game balance (a ranger who practically lives on the back of his horse should be a devasting mounted fighter, I think).

I'm going to put up some ranger combos today, to show examples how the various features can be mixed and matched to create interesting rangers.

The Domain spells work exactly like the normal ranger spells, that is they're prepared and cast just like a cleric's spells.

Thanks for the comments. Look back later today for those character examples...!

nathanL

Explorer
Jared

This is one of best alt rangers I have seen because it allows for the core 3e ranger and alternatives without being campaign specific.

Here's my suggestion:
instead of picking one Specialized Lore, how about being able to pick a Lore at 5th, 10th, and 15th. Picking the same Lore has the benefit of increasing past bonuses. While it is statistically better to stick with one Lore, you can choose for wide coverage of Lore.

You could have the following variations:
10 lvl Ranger A: Favored enemy +3/+2/+1 Undead/Giants/Dragons

10 lvl Ranger B: Favored enemy(undead) +1, Favored Terrain(desert) +1, Favored Animal(camel) +1

(or does this defeat the idea of 'specialized' lore?)

The only issue some folks might have in general is that this alt ranger doesnt solve the "take one level of Ranger" issue. I know that's not what you aimed to do here, so that's no fault of yours. The only answer to it would be to stager when these bonuses are given. I'm going to use your Ranger in my campaign.

cheers,
-Nathan

Jared A. Sorensen

First Post
Re: Jared

nathanL said:
You could have the following variations:
10 lvl Ranger A: Favored enemy +3/+2/+1 Undead/Giants/Dragons

10 lvl Ranger B: Favored enemy(undead) +1, Favored Terrain(desert) +1, Favored Animal(camel) +1

(or does this defeat the idea of 'specialized' lore?)

Not at all! In fact, originally it was "take any 4 features" -- so you could nix the spellcasting and bonus feat and take two-weapon fighting, nocturnal, familiar terrain (underground) and favored companion (panthers) -- ahem, Drizzt! :) I changed it as I thought that was a BIT too much.

But I like your idea. A lot. So much that I think I'll change the write-up to reflect it! Thanx. :)

(btw, I like your example -- he's the mummy hunter!)

- Jared

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases