[psionics] - adding the psionic template

Hi,

I was considering including a psionic encounter in my game tonight for the psychic warrior.

Under the rules for adding the psionic template on pg 140 it states "A psionic chreature possesses the indicated number of psionic powers, chosen from those described in Chapter 5: Powers, which it can manifest at will. The power's level can be no more than the creature's Hit Dice + 2 (thus, a 1-HD psionic creature might possess the 3rd-level poiwer fly but not the 4th-level power dissolving touch). Psionic creatures freely manifest their powers but do not need a minimum score in the key ability for a given discipline. They otherwise follow the standard rules for manifesting (so a creature with a poor key ability score could manifest a power with a surprisingly low DC).

So, I was considering adding this template on a 2HD monster. This means that the creature could manifest a level 4 power at will. A quick glance at the Level 4 psion list includes Dissolving Touch, which does 7d6 acid damage. It would require a psion of 8th level to do this, and I can place it on a 2HD monster, only raising the CR by 1?

This seems *far* too powerful IMO. I've checked the errata and it's not covered.

What do others think? Is this too powerful?

Duncan

green slime

First Post
From the SRD
Allip

Medium-Size Undead (Incorporeal)
Hit Dice: 4d12 (26 hp)
Initiative: +5 (+1 Dex, +4 Improved Initiative)
Speed: Fly 30 ft. (perfect)
AC: 15 (+1 Dex, +4 deflection)
Attacks: Incorporeal touch +3 melee
Damage: Incorporeal touch 1d4 permanent Wisdom drain
Face/Reach: 5 ft. by 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Babble, Wisdom drain, madness
Special Qualities: Undead, incorporeal, +2 turn resistance
Saves: Fort +1, Ref +2, Will +4
Abilities: Str -, Dex 12, Con -, Int 11, Wis 11, Cha_18
Skills: Hide +8, Intimidate +11, Intuit Direction +4, Listen +7, Search +7, Spot +7
Feats: Improved Initiative

Climate/Terrain: Any land and underground
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 3
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral evil
Advancement: 5-12 HD (Medium-size)

Combat

Allips are unable to cause physical harm, although they don’t appear to know that. They keep flailing away at their enemies, yet they inflict no wounds.

Babble (Su): An allip constantly mutters and whines to itself, creating a hypnotic effect. All sane creatures within 60 feet of the allip must succeed at a Will save (DC 16) or be affected as though by a hypnotism spell for 2d4 rounds. This is a sonic, mind-affecting compulsion. Opponents who successfully save cannot be affected by the same allip’s babble for one day.

Wisdom Drain (Su): Those whose Wisdom is reduced to 0 by the allip become helpless until at least 1 point of Wisdom is restored.

Madness (Su): Anyone targeting the allip with a mind-control or telepathic ability makes direct contact with its tortured mind and takes 1d4 points of temporary Wisdom damage.

Seems pretty tough for a CR3 creature... Against a party of 4 3rd level characters, only the cleric can count on saving (50% chance with Wis 16...) against the Babble.

Hypnotises you, then drains permanently 1d4 Wisdom, until you are a vegetable.

7d6 dissolving touch doesn't seem quite so bad...

It has been repeatedly said, that CR is only a guideline, a fuzzy attempt to measure the toughness of the creature in question. If you grab the most damage dealing 4th level power to grant your monster, you are operating right on the edge of the limits of the system's guidelines. You shouldn't be surprised that this causes some uncharacteristically challenging CRs. You aren't forced to max out the monster, just make it a challenge to the party.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases