D&D 1E Feral Slasher (conversion from 1E)

Desdinova

First Post
feralslasher.jpg

I posted this a week or so back, but then the new boards went away. Since they're back for the second time, so's this.

First, the 1E version.

FERAL SLASHER
FREQUENCY: Very Rare
NO. APPEARING: 1-2
ARMORCLASS: 2
MOVE: 24”
HIT DICE: 2+3
% IN LAIR: 20%
TREASURE TYPE: Nil
NO. OF ATTACKS: 4
DAMAGE ATTACK: 1-6 / 1-6 / 1-4 / 1-4
SPECIAL ATTACKS: Ferocity may stun or cause fear
SPECIAL DEFENSES: Nil
MAGIC RESISTANCE: Standard
INTELLIGENCE: Animal
ALIGNMENT: Chaotic Neutral
SIZE: S (3’ tall)
PSIONIC ABILITY: Nil
Attack/Defense Modes: Nil/Nil
LEVEL/XP VALUE: II/65+ 3/hp

This three-foot-tall mammalian carnivore relies on blinding speed and ferocity to stun and panic its prey. It is dull-witted, attacking regardless of the size of its victim, and slow to respond to the unexpected. It resembles a hyena but with oversized hind legs. The multiple attacks represent two jaw and two claw attacks per round. A victim must roll his charisma or less on Id20 to avoid being stunned or panicked. If the roll fails, roll ld6. 1-4 indicates that the victim is stunned for one melee round; 5-6 indicates panic, and the victim runs from the attack for two rounds.

Now my 3E version.

Feral Slasher
Small Beast
Hit Dice: 2d10+4 (15 hp)
Initiative: +9 (Dex)
Speed: 60 ft.
AC: 20 (+1 Size, +9 Dex)
Attacks: Bite +11 melee, 2 claws +6 melee
Damage: Bite 1d6, claw 1d4
Face/Reach: 5 ft. by 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Ferocity, frightful presence, pounce, rage
Special Qualities: Fear immunity, scent
Saves: Fort +5, Ref +12, Will -1
Abilities: Str 11, Dex 28, Con 14, Int 2, Wis 8, Cha 14
Skills: Climb +5
Feats: Weapon Finesse (bite, claws)
Climate/Terrain: Temperate hills and mountains
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 3
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 3-4 HD (small); 5 HD (medium)

A feral slasher is a small but dangerous creature resembling a hyena but with oversized hind legs. They stand about 3 feet tall and weigh over 60 pounds.

Combat
Feral slashers attack anything that enters their territory, even other feral slashers. They rely on blinding speed and ferocity to stun and panic their prey and will continue to attack until they or their target are dead. In a combat, they react poorly to changes, and will fixate on their nearest target to the exclusion of all others. Once that target is dealt with, the feral slasher will then attack the nearest remaining creature.
Feral slashers attack by biting their target with their powerful jaws and then tearing at them with their razor-sharp claws.
Pounce (Ex): If a feral slasher leaps upon a foe during the first round of combat, it can make a full attack even if it has already taken a move action.
Ferocity (Ex): A feral slasher is such a tenacious combatant that it continues to fight without penalty even while disabled or dying (see page 129 in the Player’s Handbook).
Frightful Presence (Ex): A feral slasher unsettles foes with its mere presence The ability takes effect automatically whenever the creature attacks, or charges. Creatures within a radius of 30 feet with fewer Hit Dice or levels than the feral slasher must make a successful Will save with a DC of 10 + 1/2 the feral slasher’s HD + the feral slasher’s Charisma modifier (13). On a failure, the creatures are frightened.
Rage (Ex): A feral slasher that takes damage in combat flies into a berserk rage on its next turn, clawing and biting madly until either it or its opponent is dead. An enraged feral slasher gains +4 Strength, +4 Constitution, and –2 AC. The feral slasher cannot end its rage voluntarily.

Last edited:

Krishnath

First Post
It's a nice conversion, but I think the CR should be higher, if you run that creature against a LVL 1 party, they would be dead. A CR of 3 seems about right though.

Desdinova

First Post
DnDChick said:
Watch this spot! ;)

Ill do up a critique on Taz-- err-- the Feral Slasher ;) later today.

Heh. Yeah, I think that's why I've always liked it. When I first saw it, that's almost exactly what I pictured it as. :D

Your comments and critiques (as well as anyone else's) are greatly appreciated.

DnDChick

Demon Queen of Templates
Desdinova said:
Feral Slasher
Small Beast
Hit Dice: 2d10+4 (15 hp)
Initiative: +9 (Dex)
Speed: 60 ft.
AC: 20 (+1 Size, +9 Dex)
Attacks: Bite +10 melee, 2 claws +5 melee

The +1 size modifier for AC applies to a creature's attacks as well, so the Feral Slashers attacks would be:

Bite +11 melee, 2 claws +6 melee

Damage: Bite 1d6, claw 1d4
Face/Reach: 5 ft. by 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Ferocity, frightful presence, pounce, rage
Special Qualities: Fear immunity, scent
Saves: Fort +4, Ref +11, Will +1

Your saves are off. According to the table on page 22 of the PHB, the saves for a 2HD creature are +0/+3. The high saves for a Beast are Fortitude and Reflexes, so the Feral Slasher has the following saves:

Fort: +3 (base) +2 (Con) = +5
Ref: +3 (base) +9 (Dex) = +12
Will: +0 (base) -1 (Wis) = -1

Abilities: Str 11, Dex 28, Con 14, Int 2, Wis 8, Cha 14
Skills: Climb +5, Listen +4, Spot +4

You have too many skill points. You have spent 15 skill points, but a Small Beast with an Intelligence of 2 only has 5 skill points to spend:

(Int ×2) +1 per Extra Hit Die above 1hd = 5

Feats: Weapon Finesse (bite, claws)
Climate/Terrain: Temperate hills and mountains
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 3
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 3-4 HD (small); 5 HD (medium)

The only other thing to point out is that usually, the DC for any special abilities is calculated out in the descriptive text. The DC for the 'Slashers Frightful Presence is 13.

Last edited:

Desdinova

First Post
All changed. Well, okay, so I tore that one up 6 ways from Sunday. :eek:

Thanks DnDChick for catching those for me. I still haven't figured out where the @$@!!! I got some of those numbers, and I'm looking at my notes.

The Skills I got nailed on because I was looking at Animal, not Beast at that point I believe, but the others I got absolutely NO clue on.

Oh well, I guess I should be thankful for not getting it more messed up the first time around. <As he goes off kicking himself in the tail for messing up that bad>

DnDChick

Demon Queen of Templates
LOL Dont beat yourself up over it. Its not all that important. :)

Also...Beasts dont get feats, so in the description somewhere youll have to state that the Feral Slasher gets the Weapon Finesee Feat for free.

Desdinova

First Post
Hmm. Didn't think that one was a problem since some of the Beasts in the MM list them in the Stats without such a descriptor (Hydra, Stirge).

<shrug> Oh well. Thanks again.

Remove ads